tire fitment question.

Thread: tire fitment question.

tire fitment question.

Going darkside, everybody is going w/the 195/55/16 sec width-7.9,tread width 6.5. How about a 195/50/16 sec width 8.8, tread width 7.1, would it be to wide, I like the little bit shorter side wall. Looking at the General G-max.

I run the G-Max 195/55-R16. I deflate the tire so it slips into place. It's a tad tight but not a major issue. I'm not sure what you expect to gain by using the 195/50-R16. You're the owned/user. The tire size you're selecting is the exception and not the norm for a CT. Whatever size you choose to use ride safe

bob109

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    The lower profile tire will turn more revolutions and cause your engine to run at a higher RPM at comparable speed.

see link below

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tir...5r16-195-50r16

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

shooter
    Chop that wider tire may be hard to fit in the hole. 55 is tight. I'm gonna let you in on a secret. When someone else does all the R&D for you don't look a gift horse in the mouth. The 195/55 is the tire for the B. I've ran the General and the Michelin and both are great.

You guys answered my question, I will stay w/ the 195/55/16. Thanks

Ordered my darkside tire today, Toyo 195/55/16 to go on my '13 Goldwing rear wheel.

Is it just me? That tire looks like it would be dangerous on a corner. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Ridlikhel View Post
    Is it just me? That tire looks like it would be dangerous on a corner. Am I wrong?
    Hard to tell, they have been discontinued and I got it online. Once I get it I will compare it w/the General G-max as far as rounded corners and if need be I will pick up the G, no big thing. I got it because I liked the tread and Toyo is a good tire, couple more pics.

Have read up on the tire and like everything else in life, everyone has their opinion. This post from '07 kind of sums it up a bit:
    Mad Meteor

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another "End of Life" report on a Toyo Proxes T1-R

I am just coming up on 18,000 miles on my Toyo Proxes T1-R 195/55R16 and have run it at 30PSI except for the few times I've been two-up, then I ran it at 36PSI. I would have to say that my miles are about evenly divided between one up on the highway pulling a Trialmaster Aspen Classic tent trailer loaded to between 550 and 600lbs (according to truck scales) and going as fast as the law will allow (and usually just a pinch more) and one up in town, back and forth to work, local errands, hot rodding the local bike roads, etc. While it still looks pretty good just to stand back and observe it; I just measured the tread depth at 3/32's. Yes, it is only about 1/32 from the wear bars and it is very evenly worn across the whole tread surface. This means I could probably run it another 2,000 or 2,500 miles to get it down to 2/32’s but I will change it here very soon. As it is I have no problem calling it a 20,000-mile tire. This has been the best rear tire I have ever run on this bike. In truth it is only the third rear tire I have had on it. The Toyo went on when the bike had just a bit over 26,000 miles after wearing out the original Dunlop D250 and then a 60 series Avon Venom R. There is currently 43,932 miles on the odometer.

This tire cost me $117.00 to my door via Internet mail order and a local automotive tire shop charged me $14.00 to mount it. The local Honda shop gave me a once-in-a-lifetime offer and balanced it for free. I still don't know why that happened.

The handling characteristics have been discussed elsewhere in detail. I have no complaints because I seldom exceed 100 MPH in a straight line or corner above 85MPH. It has provided improved traction on all surfaces including grass, sand and gravel. In the rain it has never slipped nor slid like the Dunlop D250 was prone to do to me and it is much surer footed on tar snakes than any tire I have ever ridden on. This tire has provided me with all the cornering traction I could use and a smooth, quiet, virtually trouble free ride. It has maintained its pressure with absolutely no loss except for that lost by checking it. I recommend this tire to everyone with a GL1800 with out any reservation at all and I would not hesitate to put another Toyo Proxes T1-R back on but I am curious about the run-flats and will try one of those next.