2015 Sound - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Sound

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    Are you somehow privy to Honda's engineering drawings of the '15 mufflers, or did you buy a set for $1500, cut them cross sectionally, and compare them to a cut set of '13/'14 mufflers?
    My my, you are a chippy little dude, aren't you. I have driven on a 15 - you haven't. Until you ride a 15, a listen for yourself, you really have nothing to base your opinion on......follow?

Quote Originally Posted by RLatt View Post
    My my, you are a chippy little dude, aren't you. I have driven on a 15 - you haven't. Until you ride a 15, a listen for yourself, you really have nothing to base your opinion on......follow?
    No need to jump on me.
    Nobody here is commenting on the sound of the mufflers, only the reason for the different sound.
    Limoles thinks its due only to the different external plating, and he emphatically states the 13/14 mufflers are identical in construction to the '15 except for the external plating. How does he know that all three model years have the identical mufflers without seeing engineering drawings or cutting them open?
    Nowhere did he or I comment on the sound, so my driving a '15 is irrelevant here.

For those who can understand the Laws of Noise Pollution/Noise Control there are State/Federal Laws which regulate the amount of exhaust noise/note emitted by motorcycles, autos, light/heavy duty trucks and buses. The norm is usually in a range of 84/92 Decibels and is measured at variable feet distances from the source. Most Safety Inspection Stations, some Police Department and all Heavy Manufacturing Facilities have Decibel Meters which require "Certification" to assure their accuracy as their results can usually dictate the need for "Personal Hearing Protection". That said, the current argument over which year F6B has the louder/throatier stock exhaust note is easily settled. A side by test of 2013,2014 and 2015 using a Calibrated Decibel Meter will provide "proof positive" which exhaust emits the loudest note. To my knowledge all stock motorcycle mufflers carry a "embossed/engraved" Federal Warning" about modifications which would tamper/void the Factory Designed/Regulated Noise Level.

Don't kill each other over a issue, in this case "exhaust note", which is easily and accurately answered

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaver View Post
    Those who purchase a new 2015 F6B, let us know how much different the sound of the new exhaust is.
    As you can see , no one could answer to your question , because not to many bought 2015 model yet ( except RLatt who already has it ) , and in the same time rode 2013/2014 version to provide any legitimate comparison . Nobody , ( including myself ) poses enough expertise , or have special instrumentation to measure level of noise/pollution, set by State/Federal restrictions Laws , because we know the manufacturers must obey them . Who is doing that anyway , or even think about it during the purchase of new motorcycle ?

However , for the only reason of curiosity , last week I spent some time in my local Honda dealer and asked to fire new 2015 B and allow me to get close with my '13 B. Beside jealous look onto Cruise Control set up , I was moving back and forth , site to site , carefully listening both exhaust notes and found ... just a little difference.
    Ironically and in the same time , one of the customers was buying 40 Anniversary Goldwing ( what a beauty ! ), and that bike was placed in parallel to tested by me '13 and '15 . Its blackened pipes had the same sound as '15 B , but different then his traded 2012 GW ( and my B ). It was just beginning of our discussion and reason for endless analysis , when we all agreed , that this "enigmatic difference" could be related to mentioned by me and explained above role of external coating , leading us to the same conclusion . None of us was cutting any pipes , no one was trying to argue to prove anything . Dealer himself ( 35 years in the same business ) added final statement : "Guys - there are the same tips , but having only different finish" . I left the place with little embitterment , only mournfully unable to set Cruise Control in my B , but with hope , that one day "I'll be back" .

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Here is my experience ...

My original tips on my Goldwing were showing their age and I just like the look of the F6B Tips.
    6 months ago, I installed a set of 2015 F6B tips on my Wing, I immediately noticed a throatier exhaust note that I just wasn't too crazy about, I kind of missed my quiet exhaust.

Move forward 6 months and I just acquired a second set of exhaust tips from a 2013 F6B, I figured that maybe the throatier note was caused by the 2015 tips …. The 2013 tips are identical to the 2015's

Honda must have changed the internal design of the mufflers to give even a more throatier sound on the 2015 and 2016 F6B's.

Just my personal experience ….

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

At idle, the wife's 2015 is louder than my 2013 with V&H's. She hasn't let me ride it yet , so I can't comment on the tone while riding.
    USN Retired
    IBA # 37743
    2013 F6B Deluxe "Big Red"
    2015 F6B Blue (Hers)
    Cage - 2006 SLK 280
    Previous Rides: 2005 BMW K1200LT, 2006 VTX 1300R,1986 CB650 Nighthawk, 1982 CM450, countless dirt bikes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You bored ?
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Here is a nice video of the 2015 F6B sound. But sitting in the garage, raising the rpms, doesn't really produce the same tone as it does while cruising down the road. Ya gotta ride it to hear it.

http://youtu.be/rifSWP6WWAQ

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    For those who can understand the Laws of Noise Pollution/Noise Control there are State/Federal Laws which regulate the amount of exhaust noise/note emitted by motorcycles, autos, light/heavy duty trucks and buses. The norm is usually in a range of 84/92 Decibels and is measured at variable feet distances from the source. Most Safety Inspection Stations, some Police Department and all Heavy Manufacturing Facilities have Decibel Meters which require "Certification" to assure their accuracy as their results can usually dictate the need for "Personal Hearing Protection". That said, the current argument over which year F6B has the louder/throatier stock exhaust note is easily settled. A side by test of 2013,2014 and 2015 using a Calibrated Decibel Meter will provide "proof positive" which exhaust emits the loudest note. To my knowledge all stock motorcycle mufflers carry a "embossed/engraved" Federal Warning" about modifications which would tamper/void the Factory Designed/Regulated Noise Level.

Don't kill each other over a issue, in this case "exhaust note", which is easily and accurately answered
    Sounds like a matter that could be resolved in September w/a decibel meter, over an adult beverage.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Sounds like a matter that could be resolved in September w/a decibel meter, over an adult beverage.
    Ya. Hold my beer and watch this.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537