Heated Grip Question

Thread: Heated Grip Question

Heated Grip Question

I recently purchased a new left over 2013 deluxe. Everytime I start the bike the bottom l.e.d. Flashes 4 times then everything is normal. In the owners manual it says something about this if it flashes the battery is low. I am sure it is OK the bike starter spins the bike over very fast & I do have a nice BMW electronic battery maintainer which goes green and the battery voltage checks OK. So my question for owners who have the deluxe is this the norm? Do others have this condition ? 4 quick flashes then off unless of course you turn them on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Doug K9CRT
    Decatur, IL
    2013 F6b (Red)
    Cage 2016 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
    Cage in Avatar Honda S2000

Moderator / V-twin Gobbler GiddyupF6B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug44 View Post
    I recently purchased a new left over 2013 deluxe. Everytime I start the bike the bottom l.e.d. Flashes 4 times then everything is normal. In the owners manual it says something about this if it flashes the battery is low. I am sure it is OK the bike starter spins the bike over very fast & I do have a nice BMW electronic battery maintainer which goes green and the battery voltage checks OK. So my question for owners who have the deluxe is this the norm? Do others have this condition ? 4 quick flashes then off unless of course you turn them on.
    This is normal. It's simply indicating that there's not enough voltage in the first few seconds that the bike is started to run the warmers. Very quickly after the bike is started that stops and they are good to go.

I think it is more about low amps vice volts until the bike has ran. Depending on battery strength, it can be 5, 10, 15 seconds etc. Mine is not kept on a tender, but always stops flashing in about 5 seconds.

Cool

Let the bike run for a min of 15 seconds before turning any acc on !!! ( that sucks power )
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Let the bike run for a min of 15 seconds before turning any acc on !!! ( that sucks power )

That's the rule of thumbs

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Electricity travels at 300 000 km/s.
    The alternator's field strength adjusts immediately to the load. Once the alternator comes up to speed (instantly), as it is geared directly to the crankshaft, you can turn on all the accessories you want.

OK thanks to all it seems this is normal and that is good I won't worry about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Doug K9CRT
    Decatur, IL
    2013 F6b (Red)
    Cage 2016 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
    Cage in Avatar Honda S2000

Each start up of the engine requires a lot of energy taken from the battery . It's called "rapid discharge" . To compansate full performance of the batterie , alternator needs to upload power loss , which needs some time . Usually it can be counted between engine's 1000 - 3000 rpm . It applies to only battery not affected by any other discharge , age , temperature , or even corroded terminals . Most of the acid-lead batteries might be also subjected to self-discharge , which is presented below . Using any additional electric accessories should never exceed limited discharge .