Ride Quality Over Rough Roads
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ride Quality Over Rough Roads

Ride Quality Over Rough Roads

I'd love to have an F6B, but I'm worried that its suspension my soon start to imitate that of the 2004 GL1800 I used to have. After less than 20,000 miles, that bike's suspension had deteriorated so badly that riding over anything other than table-smooth road surfaces was just no longer fun; I felt every expansion joint, asphalt crack and minor pothole. By 30,000 miles I installed the full Traxxion set-up but even that didn't give me anything near the suspension compliance I've enjoyed on the BMW that I traded the Wing in for back in 2008.

Can you guys who live in regions with less-than-perfect road surfaces give me your impressions on how well the F6B handles bumpy conditions?

A supplemental question is whether it is sensible to plan to simply replace the factory suspension components with new ones once the originals start to sag?

Quote Originally Posted by RoadSurfer View Post
    I'd love to have an F6B, but I'm worried that its suspension my soon start to imitate that of the 2004 GL1800 I used to have. After less than 20,000 miles, that bike's suspension had deteriorated so badly that riding over anything other than table-smooth road surfaces was just no longer fun; I felt every expansion joint, asphalt crack and minor pothole. By 30,000 miles I installed the full Traxxion set-up but even that didn't give me anything near the suspension compliance I've enjoyed on the BMW that I traded the Wing in for back in 2008.
    Can you guys who live in regions with less-than-perfect road surfaces give me your impressions on how well the F6B handles bumpy conditions?
    A supplemental question is whether it is sensible to plan to simply replace the factory suspension components with new ones once the originals start to sag?
    Living in Michigan, I can attest to bad roads, in fact, very, very bad roads. I came off of a BMW when I purchased my F6B, so far I have no complaints, the ride is much better
    than my BMW was. But let me qualify that with two things:
    1) my BMW was very old
    2) I've only ridden one season, so I can't attest to the ride after 20,000 miles as I only have 8,000 miles so far.
    ... And one would like to think that the suspension would have been "improved" since 2004?

shooter
    Sometimes suspension isn't the only problem. I know guys that weigh 180 and ride with max air in their tires. You wouldn't believe the difference 2 lbs makes in a tire. Especially the front. At 42 my ride is harsh on front and at 40 it is a world of difference. Just sayin.

I've had my F6B for a couple of months now and about 9000 km. I also came form a 2004 BMW R1150RT so i guess i was a bit spoilt regarding suspension.

I often mention to people that my F6 does not have the finesse of the BM suspension in that I've found the front suspension to be quite hard and not so forgiving over bumpy roads.

I've finally worked out the rear suspension so i'm happy with that but the front is still fairly solid, coupled with that is the vibration through the handlebars, which, don't get me wrong does not seem to be transmitted to my hands but is noticeable if you let go of the handle bars.

I run my tyres at 40 rear and 39 front and i weigh about 100kg

These are just points that i've noticed, love the machine

Chris

I have no issues with the suspension on my F6B and I also live in an area that has some of the worst roads in the country! (Michigan)No experience with either the GW suspension or the BMW..The Victory Vision Tour I had was the best bike I have owned that rode like a dream....But it is not an F6B.....Perhaps you should stick with the BMW as it seems to read that is what you prefer??...Good Luck

I would be glad to be able to keep my 2008 BMW K1200GT if it weren't for my aging knees and the relatively tight knee bend and slight forward upper body lean that the bike's ergonomics require of me. I've installed bar risers and lowered the footpegs, but the bike is still not as comfortable as the F6B would be, especially with highway pegs installed (which is not really possible on the K12). I also recall the wonderfully quiet air pocket behind the Wing's windshield. No aftermarket shield for the K12 will come close.

The F6B most likely has the same suspension as your 2004 Wing. It is the same chassis. I just rolled over 30,000 miles and I do notice some degradation going over rough stretches and leaning her over. I really didn't notice until I had a chance to put 1000 miles on a New Indian Roadmaster and then go back to my F6. Although the F6 is still my choice, the Roadmaster rode better and dare I say handled a little better too.

Thanks for that input, guys.

So to return to my supplemental question: would it be sensible to plan to simply replace the factory suspension components with new OEM ones once the originals start to fail?

Thanks for that input, guys.

So to return to my supplemental question: would it be sensible to plan to simply replace the factory suspension components with new OEM ones once the originals start to fail?
    Buying a brand new bike of any make, including Honda, why are you so concerned about what ,or what not, may happen way down the road???...If you are really into the F6B, buy it, ride it, enjoy this great bike, and deal with any possible suspension issue down the road..The F6B is much lighter than the Wing, probably will not be so loaded with heavy gear, and you may find out that the front suspension is fine for the thing....Sounds to me like your a little "paranoid" about this issue, no disrespect intended, if so then I would not buy another Honda GW type bike....Ride safe.....

'If it ain't broke - don't fix it'

ps.
    For now , 36 month factory warranty should make you feel better . In worst scenario of possible damages - extended warranty would be a better choice , than spending money now ahead of predicted failure of your suspension.
    Rough roads do not provide quality rides anyway , unless you have enduro .