Neutral instead of 2nd Gear - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Neutral instead of 2nd Gear

Quote Originally Posted by tonycarver View Post
    I concur, my third gear doesn't like coming for a ride....lol. sometimes I have to lift 4 or 5 times. makes for a rather jerky shift......
    Is it possible you aren't allowing the shifter to fully retract between changes? I know I've done that before. Of course, you may have some kind of mechanical problem but next time you go out, make sure you let the shifter fully retract before shifting into third. Just a thought...
    Ken (Hornblower)

"rethinking" my shifting procedure

I had been shifting the F6B like a Harley for the first 7,000 miles. It was on this forum that I first read of preloading the shift lever.
    I tried preloading and realized that my shifting procedure may have been incorrect. Preloading seemed a little awkward at first, especially first to second. Now, I try to shift as though I were an "automatic" transmission, i.e., fast, like a machine, and my shifting seems to be more aligned with the bike. Preloading the shift lever (while upshifting) facilitates a much swifter shift.
    I don't even pretend to know if my observations on this are correct...I'm still learning.... and open to suggestions.

start off in second

"Is anyone else having an issue of thier F6B shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. I have hit neutral about half a dozen times."

I weigh in at 170 and ride 1 up. Most of my flat land starts are in 2ed gear and I do not need to slip the clutch. Starts are smooth and with just a little gas...I'm headed down the road like I've been shot out of a compound bow.
    II Kings 9:20...and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi; for he driveth furiously. A.K.J.V.

Bridgestone Potenza RFT 195/55-R16
    BT45R 130/70-18

This also happens to me and i find that footwear is part of the issue, boots no problems, sneakers on the otherhand i have a shifting problem.