Could the Valkyrie Be a Edsel - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Could the Valkyrie Be a Edsel

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    I truly wonder what the test marketing group looked like and at what the test marketeers looked at.

My opinion is that it tried to be too "easy" as a GW/F6B with even less parts, and TOTALLY lost it's identity as a cruiser.
    ... and I believe your opinion IS CORRECT . Todays "cost effective" philosophy in Industrialized World count every penny spent on their products , expecting to generate maximum profit . Usually they succeed , except proven failure of new Valkyrie . Will they learn from that mistake ? Let others extend their personal views .

Quote Originally Posted by Madmax View Post
    Hey guys I was at a few honda dealers over the weekend . Does not look good for the Valkyrie , everyone has 2 or 3 , looks like the next step is to start taping money to the bikes . I can get one for under 12k , I think if they would have made the bike in the more treditional classic look they would have sold more , now there just sprinkled all over .
    .... It may also be the time of the year, I would imagine the Honda dealers in the north are selling 4-wheelers now, give it a few months, once the weather breaks, sales will pick up. ??

Honda Sportster

I personally think the Valk is equivalent to the "entry level" Harley Sportster" in the scheme of product lines. A "stripped version" of the "Boxster Engine" with no "bells and whistles" and a price which will get one a swift machine. If one is looking for a tire burner the Valk should fit the bill quite well, without emptying ones pockets. The Sportster is Harley's entry level V-Twin and is a great ride for women as it's light and nimble. Same could apply to the Valk

Its not just the valkyries , my best friend owns a Kawi dealer and he is sitting on bikes from 2013 just like all the other brands . I do like the Valkyrie at 11K area its a good price for a bike that serves not purpose .
    I love the concept of bringing back the name thats sold shit loads of bikes but unfortunatlly only the name was continued .
    If they would have done a more triditional bike like its blood line they may have sold more units .
    They hit 10k im in ... LOL
    Thats just my 2 cents .

Honda could continue further development of Valkyrie already . Having new platform , introduced in 2004 ( ALU frame , EFI 1800 engine ) , it was perfect time to keep and preserve famous VALKYRIE name in all line of RUNEs , from the poorest version to the highest end . HD still can be the best example of its multiple functions and finishes.
    That's why their riders have a choice of spending between $16K to $40 K.

I actually went to look at the Valkyrie and when there were no options for bags or a windshield I looked (and bought) the F6B. Traded in my VTX 1300 on it. The only thing I miss is the engine sound of the VTX (I had cobra slash cuts), but the otherwise I've been happy and get lots of people asking what I'm riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Madmax View Post
    Its not just the valkyries , my best friend owns a Kawi dealer and he is sitting on bikes from 2013 just like all the other brands . I do like the Valkyrie at 11K area its a good price for a bike that serves not purpose .
    I love the concept of bringing back the name thats sold shit loads of bikes but unfortunatlly only the name was continued .
    If they would have done a more triditional bike like its blood line they may have sold more units .
    They hit 10k im in ... LOL
    Thats just my 2 cents .
    The original Valkyrie wasn't that great of a seller either. Years after the last 2003 rolled off the assembly line in Marysville, OH, you could find brand new leftovers still at dealers.

E Bay listing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Valkyr...US_motorcycles

A little chilly up there to go after it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    The original Valkyrie wasn't that great of a seller either. Years after the last 2003 rolled off the assembly line in Marysville, OH, you could find brand new leftovers still at dealers.
    It was a reason for that . Everyone were hoping to see new , fuel injected engines . It was the time , when all motorcycle factories followed modernized technology . Carburetors and their archaic synchronization ( not to mention constant care ) , became obsolete and remaining leftovers were proving public expectations . For many , this bike still is an icon . Last year , 2003 Valkyrie with 6 miles on meter was sold on eBay for $12,500 in matter of seconds .

shooter
    Boys let's quit dancing around the problem. The Valkyrie is fugly. Yes , I have ridden one and if I didn't have an extremely nice M109R setting next to my B , I would own one. Fugly and all. Why. Cause it is a pure muscle cruiser. And its all Honda quality. That wonderful flat six with a torque band from zero to whatever. If you think the B feels nimble compared to a full wing you should feel that Valkyrie compared to a B. Good thing I'm not independently wealthy. I could park it next to the B and the 9. Do you guys wonder what the engineers were thinking when it came to looks? As an ASE certified Master tech for me a lot of times the beauty is underneath the skin. But I like my stuff to look good also. You should be able to have both. I think a redesign on that front fender with a taller tire and a 200 tire out back would help a lot. But that's just me.