Could the Valkyrie Be a Edsel - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Could the Valkyrie Be a Edsel

Quote Originally Posted by Limoles View Post
    It was a reason for that . Everyone were hoping to see new , fuel injected engines . It was the time , when all motorcycle factories followed modernized technology . Carburetors and their archaic synchronization ( not to mention constant care ) , became obsolete and remaining leftovers were proving public expectations . For many , this bike still is an icon . Last year , 2003 Valkyrie with 6 miles on meter was sold on eBay for $12,500 in matter of seconds .
    Don't buy that one Limoles. Why the original Valkyrie didn't sell well, can only be speculated. It was a different style of bike, in an era of American Chopper and V-twin turn key customs. The Valkyrie was said to be imposing and intimidating to some. When I first saw one in 96/97, I was in love. I have owned 2 Valkyries and still have one. Been a long time VRCC member. I don't recall anybody, back in the day, making such a fuss over fuel injection. Fuel injection certainly found itself on many people's list for a Honda reissue of the Valkyrie. That Honda did deliver with the 14. Constant care??? I haven't had to do any care for the carbs other than rejetting when I changed exhaust. If you are in the habit of letting one sit with fuel for prolonged periods of time of time, then yes you may have issues. My current Valk sitting with 80,000 miles on her.

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Last year , 2003 Valkyrie with 6 miles on meter was sold on eBay for $12,500 in matter of seconds .
    Ahhhh yes, but currently there is a fuel injected 2005 Honda Rune with 2.2 miles on the speedometer being sold on E-Bay for $34,999 . It is a slow Black model, if it was a Candy Black Cherry the price would be more

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Valkyr...US_motorcycles

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    Ahhhh yes, but currently there is a fuel injected 2005 Honda Rune with 2.2 miles on the speedometer being sold on E-Bay for $34,999 . It is a slow Black model, if it was a Candy Black Cherry the price would be more

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Valkyr...US_motorcycles

and why I owned both colored Runes with two illusion blue ones to boot. I know which is faster, but...ah...er...........never mind.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Boys let's quit dancing around the problem. The Valkyrie is fugly. Yes , I have ridden one and if I didn't have an extremely nice M109R setting next to my B , I would own one. Fugly and all. Why. Cause it is a pure muscle cruiser. And its all Honda quality. That wonderful flat six with a torque band from zero to whatever. If you think the B feels nimble compared to a full wing you should feel that Valkyrie compared to a B. Good thing I'm not independently wealthy. I could park it next to the B and the 9. Do you guys wonder what the engineers were thinking when it came to looks? As an ASE certified Master tech for me a lot of times the beauty is underneath the skin. But I like my stuff to look good also. You should be able to have both. I think a redesign on that front fender with a taller tire and a 200 tire out back would help a lot. But that's just me.
    Even if the Valk only looked half this good...

Attachment 11297
    Ride to work, work to ride
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

shooter
    I know what you mean.Attachment 11298Attachment 11299

Not edsel, Pontiac azteck.
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

NO KIDDING - $10,999 OTD

Correct. You can buy Runes on Ebay all day long from $11,000 to $17,000 range in most cases. It is NOT a collector's item and looses value just as any other bike out there (unless you're a die-hard Rune lover). The one Phantom mentioned for sale on ebay for over $34,000 did not sell. There is a big difference between asking price and selling price.

That's not to say that Rune is not a capable motorcycle. My friend has one and I rode it many times. It is fun to ride. I never bought one as I am simply not comfortable on it. It has no leg room. You are forced into a single position on it and your legs are straight down, like on a standard bike, but with no space, so you end up with your knees in your elbows kind of position. And forward pegs splay your legs way too wide due to engine being there. My friend has five bikes and he rarely rides a Rune, too. But he is a die hard Honda fan and will always own a Rune as a symbol of what Honda can do. It is a very well made bike with factory parts made just for it, not shared with other bikes in Honda line.

I was very excited at first when I found out that Honda is bringing back the Valkyrie. In my mind the Rune is not a true Valkyrie replacement. The original Valkyrie was a very usable bike, comfortable, fast, good handling and unique. Rune was even more unique when it came out but too many compromises design wise to be really useful. It is the first bike I saw coming from Honda where looks came before function (Fury was the second one). Original Valkyrie had beautiful saddlebags and windshield. Rune? Difficult to make it look good with those items as well to find them, therefore hard to tour on it. Now, some guys have done it and ride Rune everywhere, but why? There are many other bikes that can be made into touring bikes and perform better than Rune.

Then I saw the new Valkyrie. Not a fan. I think it's a bike in search of it's own identity. What is it? I don't think Honda people know exactly either. If it's a cruiser, then there is entirely way too much plastic everywhere, big radiators on the sides, and the overall design really does not fit the cruiser mold very well. A sport tourer? Maybe, good liquid cooled engine for touring, but no wind protection or luggage. If you add those, than why not just buy F6B or GW instead?

I think new Valkyrie is mostly a standard type motorcycle. But they don't sell well. And it truly has a face only a mother could love. It reminds me of Suzuki B-King the most from the front, which has to be one of the ugliest bikes Suzuki has ever designed, hence almost no sales. I am glad that Honda had the balls to make a bike that definitely does not copy Harley but marches to it's own beat. It's too bad not many will sell as it is a very capable motocycle.

So, I don't see a current Valkyrie lasting very long at all. It will be sold at heavy discount. If you like one you'll be happy owning it, it should be very reliable and fun to ride. Just make sure you get a great deal on one as it will depreciate a lot. In my opinion there are better ways to spend the similar amount of money. Personally I tried the new Indian Scout last year. Unlike Valkyrie this bike is beautiful, it should be fast and it is well priced. Valkyrie in it's current form will be squeezed out by the competition.

Great assumptions and I'd share your comments . Provided link to new Valkyrie presenting the only price , but still doesn't boost my interest . Its analysis were discussed already in our previous discussions .

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
    Correct. You can buy Runes on Ebay all day long from $11,000 to $17,000 range in most cases.

I beg to differ .....
    The last few Runes sold on E-Bay since November 2014 were sold between $16,500 - $18,500

I personally sold one for $17,250

The Runes were built in 2003 and 2004 ..... Honda unloaded their warehouse in 2008 and a "0" mile Rune in the crate could be purchased for $16,000

Today USED Runes are somewhat holding their value, the last time that I purchased a Rune for $11,000 was in 2010 when the economy was still in the tank and owners were trying to get out of loans taken out in 2008.

The NEW 2014 Valkyrie is not in the same class as a Rune in my opinion.

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.