Ergonomics

Thread: Ergonomics

Ergonomics

I'm a relative newcomer to this forum, but I have noticed a lot of threads dealing with "I can't flatfoot the F6" and others of similar subject matter. Myself being short, 5'8" with a 28" inseam, I have dealt with bikes being too tall for most of my 56 yrs of riding. I came to believe that "flatfooting" was simply over rated and learned to compensate. The F6 is probably the(next to my Valkyrie)lowest bike I have owned and I have no problems reaching the ground at a stop.

If anyone is interested, this website, http://cycle-ergo.com/ will let you see kinda what your riding and resting position would be on about any bike. When I enter my info, the picture shows the rider exactly as I sit on the F6. I keep this website in my bookmarks so that I can see how a bike that I might be interested in would fit me. I find that most European brands are built for people a lot taller than I am.

Great website, thanks for sharing!

Here are my measurements on both of my bikes:

Attachment 11318Attachment 11319

F6B is with the future Helibars adjustment I want, stock bars are even lower. I have a Mustang seat on F6B, which lowers me down 1". On Harley I have a Russell Day Long Seat which raises me up about an inch. I also have aero pegs on F6B, which I use on long rides and are not depicted above. I find my VRSCF very comfortable as it has a fairing, too:

image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post

F6B is with the future Helibars adjustment I want, stock bars are even lower. I have a Mustang seat on F6B, which lowers me down 1". On Harley I have a Russell Day Long Seat which raises me up about an inch. I also have aero pegs on F6B, which I use on long rides and are not depicted above. I find my VRSCF very comfortable as it has a fairing, too:

Attachment 11320
    Yeah Luke, I thought that site would generate more interest. After putting in your info, you can change the seat height, bar pullback, and peg height and also move the rider fore & aft on the seat. Seems like it would be handy to see if a desired change would get the results wanted.

I checked it out - lots of variables. If I was shopping for a new scoot, I'd be all over it.
    Since I am currently "content" with my toys, I found it interesting.
    Thanks.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by six2go View Post

If anyone is interested, this website, http://cycle-ergo.com/ will let you see kinda what your riding and resting position would be on about any bike.
    Thank you for resurrecting that website. Very helpful.

Someone else posted a link to it back in 2013 but that post is buried

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

What it can't really model for you is the width at the waist, which has a big impact on your reach to the ground. The F6 is a bit wide in the middle which is why it's not easy for me to flat foot it at a 29" inseam. But like you said, flat footing is overrated.

I used to not worry about "flat-footing" my bike at intersections/etc. until one day when my right foot sank into a lower sunk-in spot of the road and I damn near dumped the thing at a busy stoplight!! Being of short inseam and having some 29" issues, I went with lower seats on both my Victory Vision and my F6B, put 1/2' higher heels/soles on my riding boots and no longer feel I have a lack of stability at stops....The lower Mustang seat seems to have also made me feel more confident at low speed turns and handling....Very happy with my current set-up so far...Plus I now am 75 years old and not as strong as I once was...(In more places than one).....Ride safe

I've found my Corbin seat allows for an easier more natural reach to the ground because of the narrower shape towards the front.I don't believe the seat is any lower to the ground, but that portion being a little narrower helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post

Attachment 11320
    I'm coming from this:

Attachment 11447

So, the F6B looks good. However, the Vision is awfully comfortable:

Attachment 11448

Quick question

I noticed that as you make adjustments the cycle-ergo adjusts your seating position and changes the value for Forward lean, Knee angle and Hip angle. I was wondering what the optimal numbers for these measurements are. I realize that 'comfort' is subjective but you would think that there are values which work best for most riders. Does anyone know what the optimal settings are?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

73 Yamaha RD350
    74 Suzuki GT750
    75 Kawasaki 500
    75 Honda GL1000
    95 Honda GL1500 Interstate
    13 Honda GL1800 F6B - Red Standard