Just MINUS - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just MINUS

Quote Originally Posted by Fla_rider View Post
    Haha that's why we live here Steve. I think it hit 80 in Tampa today!
    I have a friend who lives in St. Pete. He says that from June through the end of September he only rides his motorcycle at night. He said the only way he could ride during daylight hours that time of year is without ATGATT. He won't ride in shorts, T-shirt, sneakers, and no helmet. I don't know how you desert or tropical riders could do it with ATGATT during your summer.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    I have a friend who lives in St. Pete. He says that from June through the end of September he only rides his motorcycle at night. He said the only way he could ride during daylight hours that time of year is without ATGATT. He won't ride in shorts, T-shirt, sneakers, and no helmet. I don't know how you desert or tropical riders could do it with ATGATT during your summer.
    I love St. Pete. I live about 470 miles north from there, but I have a business in St. Pete. I spent a lot of time down there in the past 4 years. It is a beautiful place.

Attachment 11441

Their winters are just great, as well as fall and spring. I was just there last weekend, it was cool in the morning and evening so a light jacket was a must but during the day I walked around in a t shirt. I believe it is mostly around 75 degrees F in the winter.

Summer months are hot and humid. However, I did plenty of riding there. I just had to leave really early in the morning while it was still fresh, and I also would bring a swimsuit and a towel and stop along the way for a swim in the ocean to cool off. It's fine if you plan for this. I also wear mesh jacket and pants as well as open face helmet while hot, and use sunblock. There are also roads you can ride in the shades of trees and the heat is tolerable. At the end of day I would dip in my pool and it felt great! And of course if the temps were really high I would only ride in the evening or early in the morning.

I was more concerned about occasional thunderstorms than heat as I don't like riding while it's thundering. I always checked weather radar and weather forecast before riding.

So not perfect but I'd rather deal with heat from June-September than snow and ice in the winter. I used to live in NY and NJ, and winters were awful. It sucks having to go to work in a really bad weather in ice and snow, not to mention dangerous.

I actually live in Aiken SC, so when hot in the summer I would leave early in the morning and head for the NC mountains, where I would get in about 3 hours. Blue Ridge Parkway can be 55 degrees F in the summertime while in the valley temps are in the 90's. Also, much more shades on the roads.

My brother lives in Vancouver, BC. I love visiting him as well, and I rent a bike while there. Great scenery, more traffic and lower speed limits that I'm used to, but great nevertheless. A beautiful loop to ride: Ferry from Vancouver to Sunshine Coast, ride until the road ends, then ferry to Vancouver Island, ride to Victoria, BC, then ferry to Seattle, then ride back to Vancouver. Can't go wrong!

I was born & raised in St. Pete. Love & miss the weather down there!
    Up here in the Arctic Circle in Marion Co. FL we get the hottest summer temps & the coldest winter temps in Florida. Love the summer temps as there is no such thing as "too hot to ride" for me but the cold ass winter temps totally suck!

All that being said, it was 76° today & I got about 100 miles in.

One of these days I'll move south, I hate the winters up here at the 29th parallel.
    '97 Valkyrie Tourer, SOLD!
    '98 Valkyrie Tourer, traded for wife's F6B
    '99 Valkyrie Tourer, traded in on MY NEW F6B!!!!
    '05 Shadow Spirit 750 traded for wife's F6B
    '05 Triumph Rocket 3, gone but not forgotten
    2013 F6B, black standard.
    2013 F6B, red Deluxe for the wife.

Your friend just has not found the right gear. You have to pay for it but I ride AGATT 365 days in and around Orlando. Hot in the summer? Yes. Unbearable? No way. Just keep it in the breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bikemike View Post
    Not a record I would look to achieve but we are the coldest in the 48 states friday and today.
    minus 34 official however at 6am it was minus 41 at home just outside of the city.

I am with you there buddy. Was negative 40 to 50 with the wind chill yesterday. I wanna get out of NY.

Quote Originally Posted by powercruzer13 View Post
    One of these days I'll move south, I hate the winters up here at the 29th parallel.
    Try the 50th parallel of north latitude at 100W longitude (dead centre of the continent).

That's just stupid. Why would you want to try it?

When I was living in South Africa , I thought 300 sunny days were boring . Now you can blame me being wrong .

Quote Originally Posted by 1951vbs View Post
    Your friend just has not found the right gear. You have to pay for it but I ride AGATT 365 days in and around Orlando. Hot in the summer? Yes. Unbearable? No way. Just keep it in the breeze.
    ATGATT. 20 degrees to 100 degrees. No worries.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Trust me...it is beautiful.....but...I miss the point where you park your bike for 7-8 months???

Don't know about others, but I ride every month of the year.

50 mile this weekend, even if it's 45 degrees. It's just part of life.

I don't know how you desert or tropical riders could do it with ATGATT during your summer.
    Mesh jacket with armor and lots of water. Sometimes I soak my tshirt and put on the mesh. It's like air conditioning. Or a cooling vest works good too. Nice thing about Arizona is we have elevations from about sea level to 7 or 8,000 ft to ride in. Mountains all summer, desert all winter.