Gear indicator mounted where it should be (IMO) - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gear indicator mounted where it should be (IMO)

Moderator / V-twin Gobbler GiddyupF6B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
    Thank you, that's what I was looking for.

I also want to say I'm happy this was finally a useful post on this forum. I'm bored reading about weather, Florida boys, climate changes, etc., things that have absolutely nothing to do with F6B.
    I'll have some more custom F6B install stuff from "Giddy's corner" soon. A lot of fun stuff will be done to my scooter over the next 30 days. I'm most excited about trying out my reflashed Ecu! I'm hoping to be pulling the front wheel up and smoking tire off the line!

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Okay...a "Gear Indicator" lets me know if my wheels are in the Up or Down position. Not an option on the F6B. So..what are we indicating?

I guess its for those of us that dont wanna count. Lol I have not had a need for it but then again never had it on any of my bikes. I guess riding in the dirt for so many years I dont have a need for one. Might be a cool option.
    2013 F6B in fast black. Lots of extras.
    2007 Suzuki M109R LE
    2000 Honda CBR 929 RR
    1992 GSXR 1100R W/1153 BIG BORE
    1995 Suzuki Katana 750 first bike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am just too damn old. Good tunes, curves, just rite exhaust. No indicator required.
    Deer Slayer
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it.

I tend to agree with DS on this. There are times a gear indicator might come in handy but the OD light, for me, reduces the need.
    Ken (Hornblower)

Hey ! it is a pretty flashing light...Why not !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Nicely done!

I still want to get this but I'll likely end up making my own; something that fits on the bike even more subtly and OEM looking.

A gear indicator would definitely help in those times when you're aggressively approaching a bend and you need to downshift quickly. Most times you know exactly what gear you're flipping into, but many times your attention is diverted and you lose track. I HATE having to guess if the next click is 2nd or 3rd...

Moderator / V-twin Gobbler GiddyupF6B's Avatar
    I always made fun of my riding buddies that had them, I didn't see the need. I put one on my last bike and now I use it regularly. It's the kind of thing I didn't think I needed until I had one........I probably ride a lot more aggressively I'm guessing than the guys above that don't see the need for one. It's not necessary but it's a valuable resource riding the twisty back roads that I frequent. Plus it's just damn cool.......

I thought that what the tach was for?When you get near redline you need to shift! Otherwise very nice install of a new lighted goody.

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    Nicely done!

I still want to get this but I'll likely end up making my own; something that fits on the bike even more subtly and OEM looking.

A gear indicator would definitely help in those times when you're aggressively approaching a bend and you need to downshift quickly. Most times you know exactly what gear you're flipping into, but many times your attention is diverted and you lose track. I HATE having to guess if the next click is 2nd or 3rd...
    I agree. Once you have it you'll understand, I had it on my BMW K1200LT and I always wondered how come GW doesn't include it as well. Of course you can go without it, but it makes life easier.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'We are all here on Earth to help others; what on Earth the others are here for I don't know.' - W. H. Auden

Quote Originally Posted by edgeman55 View Post
    I thought that what the tach was for?When you get near redline you need to shift! Otherwise very nice install of a new lighted goody.
    It's all about the downshifting.
    When you're busy absorbing all the inputs required to slow down or stop, the tach and speedo may not be at the top of the list. Seeing a lighted number up high in your field of vision at least tells you what gear you're in. Nothing worse than thinking you are in a gear higher than you actually are, blip the throttle, let out the clutch, engine suddenly compression brakes, and that could have ended nastily. With that gear indicator, you don't need to compare the tach and speedo to mentally compute your gear.