Gear indicator mounted where it should be (IMO) - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gear indicator mounted where it should be (IMO)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    $1,893.00 so far....

This board is a VERY BAD influence on my discretionary spending. I need an intervention.

Well your just a pup.... when you pass $6,288.36, ( to date ) let me know... this does not include a trailer or anything trailer, or tires or maintenance I preform.... I may have to die with this bike to use all the money invested .....
    You know, they do make dual purpose furniture to save money in the long run.

USPS delivered my GiPro today; fast shipping on the part of the vendor

So I want to mount this thing inside the speaker housing of my left front speaker; towards the 2 o'clock position behind the speaker screen.

How much of the bike do I need to tear apart; to get it in there? (Don't have a repair manual yet).

I know I'll have to remove the darned seat; and most likely the valance over the ignition switch/instruments. Is that enough to route the GiPro cable from the seat area to the speaker grill?

Do I have to remove the entire top shelter to do this?

Any tips to remove that instrument valance and anything else? Don't want to break any plastic.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Cool

Seat, maybe around key, the speaker section...START FROM THE FRONT and go to the back, to run the wire...really no big deal...
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Seat, maybe around key, the speaker section...START FROM THE FRONT and go to the back, to rune the wire...really no big deal...
    Steve;

Any tips to remove that instrument valance and anything else? Don't want to break any plastic.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Never mind.. I figured it out.

Bike is in pieces again.

Found the red diagnostics connector in the wire bundle, behind the relays. Tested the GiPro, and it works:

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Got 'er dun !!!

Got it mounted behind the left speaker screen, and programming the GiPro was very quick too.

The GiPro is much brighter in gear presentation through the speaker screen.. I just can't get this damned camera to capture it.

The hardest part of this install.. was running trying to run the GiPro wire lead behind the mid-frame of the bike... but I eventually succeeded.

Will see how it looks in this location tomorrow when the sun is out. But the Red LED readout is pretty bright. If not; I left enough slack in the GiPro wire lead under the left side cubby hole; to re-position it if necessary.

And I am HAPPY to report that I did not have to fight with my seat mounting bolts this time. I fought with them last time (first time removing seat from bike) and when I put it back on then... I used anti-seize on them. This time... it paid off for the seat re-install

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Some folks laugh at these...but we don't shift into 6th anymore !!!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Some folks laugh at these...but we don't shift into 6th anymore !!!!
    This bike has a lot of torque and when using it; it is all too common to be in a higher gear and forget about it.

I mostly have issues (at times) with 2nd thru fourth gears; because I forget if I'm in 3rd or 4th sometimes. This will help A LOT !!!

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Totally agree.
    I wish the dash lights (i.e OD, cruise etc) were a lot brighter. Can barely see them in direct sunlight.
    I wonder if there is an LED fix for this?
    Im going to mount my gear indicatorexactly as you did once it arrive.
    Thanks for the great thread everyone.
    Ride safe.
    Ken

This may help a little when you install it:

1. Remove seat
    2. Remove both left side covers
    3. Remove left side trim
    4. Remove left side cubby hole box
    5. Remove left side radio control unit (no need to totally disconnect it)
    6. Remove instrument valance (pull up on it near ignition key; then pull out from dash - no need to disconnect tweeters)

Run GiPro plug end along Red dotted path. Difficult part was getting it to run behind the middle frame (Fushia arrow). Space is tight there; but you will eventually see a gap near that rubber hose where you can get it to thread through.

Once you thread the cable behind the frame; your going to want to remove the bolt (Green arrow) holding the gas tank down. Just gently pry the bracket up to get the GiPro wire behind it. Then replace bolt and tighten down.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537