snow birds - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: snow birds

House on Wheels

I immensely enjoy "snow birding"! I look with anticipation for each October when I button up my Northern Residence and begin my migration south. Citra, Florida then becomes my winter residence. North Central Florida provides some great cycling roads and scenes through "horse country". I always enjoy stopping at a local Lowe's or Home Depot where not a single "snow blower", "snow shovel" or "rock salt" can be found Yes I do experience several days which can start out in the mid 20's but by noon things are warm enough to ride with "chaps".

Mobility, IMHO, is the key to enjoying ones retirement. I haul my 6 in my 6'X12' enclosed trailer. No car required. If it rains I don my "wet suit" and I'm on my way

I was intent on buying a used Diesel Pusher Motor Home and found a really clean unit with low miles. A private seller who I haggled with and bought for a good price. There are many, many used camping units i.e. tag alongs, fifth wheels and gas and diesel units both A and B models for great prices. Know in advance what you want and do your searching and you'll find just the unit to fit your needs

Here's a pic of my 2001.5 Discovery with a 330 Cat Diesel.

Attachment 11709

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADF6B View Post
    Gets to damn hot in Florida. My dad lives down there, between the heat and the damn love bugs it sucks. Just my opinion. The wife and I are South Carolina bound within the next 2 years.
    You don't have to shovel heat.

Riding a Goldwing is like opening a can of testosterone.
    Go Green - Recycle Congress!!!!

Tired of listening to the wife bitch about the winter year after year. After this one, I am agreeing with her. So, took a trip to Myrtle Beach last month...thats not the place for me. Lived in Sumter SC some years back and that not the place either. Been to FL but not a big fan (ok to visit but have not found a place there that I really like). So, I booked a week in TN later this summer between Knoxville and Nashville and gonna check that out. From what I understand, the taxes are reasonable and its close enough to the mountains for me. We will see.....

Quote Originally Posted by ReserveBum View Post
    Tired of listening to the wife bitch about the winter year after year. After this one, I am agreeing with her. So, took a trip to Myrtle Beach last month...thats not the place for me. Lived in Sumter SC some years back and that not the place either. Been to FL but not a big fan (ok to visit but have not found a place there that I really like). So, I booked a week in TN later this summer between Knoxville and Nashville and gonna check that out. From what I understand, the taxes are reasonable and its close enough to the mountains for me. We will see.....
    Not sure about TN...but find a state that doesn't tax your military pension.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Move to wear you can enjoy life
    I live in Queensland on the Gold Coast
    It does rain, up to 12" or more a day?
    And it does get windy, Cyclones up North
    And in summer their is a bit of humidity, up to 100%
    But everyday you can do what you want in Shorts and a shirt
    The Temperatures are in Celsius.
    So double the temperature and add 30

Statistics Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Annual
    Mean maximum temperature (°C)
    28.7 28.6 27.8 25.9 23.4 21.3 21.1 21.9 23.9 25.3 26.7 27.8

Mean minimum temperature (°C)
    21.8 21.8 20.7 18.3 15.3 13.1 12.0 12.5 14.8 16.9 18.9 20.5

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Not sure about TN...but find a state that doesn't tax your military pension.
    I had looked into that....
    States with No Income Tax

At the top of the list are the nine states that have no state income tax at all. By default, military retirement pay is completely exempt from tax. These states are:

Alaska
    Florida
    Nevada
    New Hampshire
    South Dakota
    Tennessee
    Texas
    Washington
    Wyoming

Note: New Hampshire and Tennessee both tax interest and dividends. For most taxpayers, however, this would constitute a relatively small portion of total income.

Read more: http://www.rapidtax.com/blog/states-...#ixzz3SVyhCVtO

Quote Originally Posted by ReserveBum View Post
    I had looked into that....
    ...roger.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

I plan on buying a 24-30 foot toy hauler I can haul with my f150....with the F6 in the back,Mid state central Flordia...nice reasonable RV park would be cool...I'd like to go Jan- mid March....any ideas...?

Quote Originally Posted by vstar09 View Post
    I plan on buying a 24-30 foot toy hauler I can haul with my f150....with the F6 in the back,Mid state central Flordia...nice reasonable RV park would be cool...I'd like to go Jan- mid March....any ideas...?
    Your gonna need a bigger truck...dually !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Na.....It can tow 8000 lbs with the v8 and 4x4....looking at lite weight toy haulers