Best stereo upgrade options - Page 13
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Best stereo upgrade options

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    I still have 12 gigs of empty space after loading 51 cd's but I was talking about the price as much as the sound I am hearing, much richer and fuller sound than listening to the stock FM. These guys are spending way more than 100 bucks. Putting in amplifiers isn't cheap, How is the sound with your flash drive? I have a flash drive a friend made up for me but haven't put it in yet, I should do that and compare the sound quality.
    That's what I'm saying, I can put even more music on the flash drive. I think most are aware and utilize the USB input features of these bikes and that the FM performance of the tuners are less than spectacular.

What I am saying is that regardless of which source you use to listen to music , it still has to be amplified and reproduced through speakers. If you are satisfied with the stock arrangement then more power to you. However , some are not and are looking to or have already upgraded the OEM speakers and amplifier. Come to the Rally in Franklin and listen to mine, then determine whether you are still satisfied.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Thanks, you answered my question.

I was referring to the MM651 from your quote that I posted (updated quote in red). From pictures of the MM651 spacers that I have seen on a Goldwing install, they are a lot thicker than 1/8" so it sounds like the speakers could be seated closer with a 1/8" spacer which should help with the dash cover clearance issue.

I am happy with the stock speakers when riding without traffic, but in traffic or with loud pipes, the stock speakers just don't cut it.

Attachment 15140Attachment 15141Attachment 15142Attachment 15143Attachment 15144

The guy who did the Goldwing install used the stock speakers as a template to cut the MM651's and their spacers. This appears to have taken off a lot more meat than what was necessary. A template could probably be made which just accounts for the minimum amount of material to be removed which should help preserve the structural integrity of the speaker.
    Hmmm.
    My DXI 651 speakers sound great, but I have a pair of MM651 that are just screaming to me the amp needs us... These pictures are making me feel better about cutting them to fit. My amp is 100 watts + certified RMS and so are the MM. The DXI are rated at 80 and though are capable of playing very loud, I can push them too hard. Sounds like I'm justifying...
    Anyway, good luck to all who have led us down this path and those just going.
    Ride hard but wear a helmet.
    J
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

While on my Yellowstone trip I had a chance to catch a listen to a friends stereo on his Streat Glide I think, newer Harley anyway, and it sounded soooo much better than mine. I will do some type of stereo upgrade this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    While on my Yellowstone trip I had a chance to catch a listen to a friends stereo on his Streat Glide I think, newer Harley anyway, and it sounded soooo much better than mine. I will do some type of stereo upgrade this winter.

I'm starting over with this post. I have the MM6501 not the MM651. I didn't even realize there was a difference. I'm looking up specs now to see if they are the same dimensions. I also blew up the photos THS61 posted. I was on my mobile and didn't realize what was posted. I'll keep you posted, unless anyone has info on the 6501 mounting

You still have to trim the basket to mount a 6.5" speaker, regardless of who makes them.
    20150228_103206.jpg
    Jim
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul

2013 F6B Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstiff's F6B View Post
    You still have to trim the basket to mount a 6.5" speaker, regardless of who makes them.
    Attachment 16102
    Jim
    Wow, thanks Jim.. that looks a lot more minimal than I was thinking. I keep struggling with "basket" - meaning the large diameter? Nothing at the magnet side of the speaker?

thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by pressorv View Post
    Wow, thanks Jim.. that looks a lot more minimal than I was thinking. I keep struggling with "basket" - meaning the large diameter? Nothing at the magnet side of the speaker?

thanks all!
    No trimming at or around the magnet, just the outer diameter of the basket, in 2 areas (9 & 3 o'clock positions) All 6.5 speakers are just that, at least 6 1/2 to 6 5/8" diameter. Very simple mod. Take your time.
    Jim
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul

2013 F6B Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by pressorv View Post

thanks all!
    Hmm.. 4/16 deeper the 6501 is against the 651. ;(
    Grill height 1 1/16" vs. 13/16"

And now one of my speaker's receiving nut came loose from the frame I do love learning

Just got done installing my Polk Audio 651 speakers...What a pain in the azz, They look good and definitely sound better just dont know if it was worth the cussing and frustration...Only installed 3 of the 4 screws because getting the 4th would require more grinding and 3 screws makes them very secure ...Good mod just glad its done...
    Chrome is like cleavage, You can never have too much...[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chrome is like cleavage, You can never have too much...[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]