Best stereo upgrade options - Page 18
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Best stereo upgrade options

Maybe Polk Audio can offer us a group buy of pre-trimmed MM's ?

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Maybe Polk Audio can offer us a group buy of pre-trimmed MM's ?
    I actually asked today, a guy I've come to know with Polk.
    He said a better chance would be for someone to make a spacer or adapter. Their target market is to wide and varied in application.
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

easy peasy

we had a zumo GPS installed through the dealership. it has an option to add an S/D card for tunes. we downloaded a bunch of tunes 300+ set the GPS volume settings at ALMOST max for the "media" option and i can tell you, at 120KPH (70-80mph for or southern riders) its damn loud. by using the volume leveling(?) option CAS i think it is, turns itself down at the stoplights and cranks it self back up when you get going again. no fussing with adding amplifiers or new speakers. it has to be at least 3 times louder than the radio. just MHO.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by tonycarver View Post
    we had a zumo GPS installed through the dealership. it has an option to add an S/D card for tunes. we downloaded a bunch of tunes 300+ set the GPS volume settings at ALMOST max for the "media" option and i can tell you, at 120KPH (70-80mph for or southern riders) its damn loud. by using the volume leveling(?) option CAS i think it is, turns itself down at the stoplights and cranks it self back up when you get going again. no fussing with adding amplifiers or new speakers. it has to be at least 3 times louder than the radio. just MHO.
    Have you tried the USB input in the left saddebag? It is also much louder than the radio. Most of us who have gone through the trouble of adding amps and speakers have used many different sources with the stock system. Loud, doesn't necessarily mean quality. Quality will be a subjective thing. If you are satisfied with what you have, by all means, I wouldn't go any farther than you have. You are in the majority of F6B owners. Some of us,though, are not satisfied with what is possible with the OEM equipment. You might not be either once you heard mine.
    I have nothing stock in the audio department on my bike.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstiff's F6B View Post
    Attachment 17270
    Polk MM 651 work in progress trimming to fit. They kick serious but even un mounted.
    I wouldn't however, reccomend them to anyone without an aftermarket amp and the patience of a snail. They are a butch to make fit. Go with DXI or DB Polk 6.5 speakers.
    Do not use these MM with OEM amp. The speakers are 2 ohm and OEM system is likely not compatable.
    I'm out
    Jim
    Final thoughts on my amp - speaker mod.

I decided of the 3 Polk offerings in a 6.5"; the DXI are the best for ease to install, sound quality in my experience and price point.
    They also perform ok with the Honda OEM amp.
    They can be driven by most any 2 or 4 channel amplifier and work well from 5 to 80 watts RMS.

I also filled the speaker cavities with about 1 square foot of 1" speaker batting, which improved sound clarity and quality.

The volume at 15 is very loud and clear at any speed.
    The DXI sound clear as high as my ears could stand it, 20 + being very loud. Including testimony by neighbors, blocks away.

The amp I used is a Polk PA D2000.2, which supplies plenty of clear power for about any configuration and Fits nicely in the saddle bag. It takes up a 4x 6.5 " area and sits about 2 inches in height.

A sub woofer would be a good supplement but not necessary.

I'd highly recommend the Polk DXI for those wanting more than their oem experience.
    Attachment 17423Attachment 17424
    Attachment 17425

J
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul

2013 F6B Deluxe

well after hours of pulling my hair out,I finally threw in the towel and walked away eating the cost of the speakers. the speakers I have have a horrible "fuzz" sound at 50hz to 120hz. I hooked up the factory speakers and strangely without the tweeters, the factory speakers had a lot of distortion to them as well . I think the stock amp is crap.

I tried to do a return, but the place I bought them from was not factory authorized, so no warrantee. (never mind the modifications.) credit card company had a one year extension on warranty, but they claimed since I had no warranty they wouldn't do theirs either.

After walking away good a while, the 2 ohm load came to mind again (thanks to whomever mentioned this in the thread) so I am going to mock the amp install and see what happens. the batting is definitely a great idea, should tighten up the bass.

so please everyone keep your fingers crossed.

my opinion thus far is that the 6.5 fabricating necessary to get them to fit is too labor excessive unless you have experience fabricating and well over 6 hours to do a speaker install that could be drop in.

I gather the 5.? inch speaker upgrades folks are doing are lacking though..

the j&l ? New upgrade might be an option, I'd love fit someone to get updated speaker specs and try them with an appropriate amp.

in any case, once I make the time, I'll let everyone know. again, I have a slightly different model of polk mm speakers than everyone else, and about twice the cost.
    cheers

I have the MM series. The component ones. I've got the 6.5" I originally installed the 5.25" but put the 6.5" in. The 5.25" speakers were definitely easier. All I had to do was make an adapter plate because of the difference in size. The MM series 6.5" woofers were indeed an exercise in patience to make fit. I used no batting. Mine sound awesome. The 5.25" sounded good too, but were augmented with the sub which adds a lot.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Cheap Speaker upgrade - Polk DXI 651

I went with the Polk DXI 651 and since I figured cutting on them would void the warranty anyway got some manufacturer refurbished speakers on ebay for $53. Pretty easy install and really can tell the difference even with the factory amp.

Link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLK-AUDIO-D...3D231720598087

Quote Originally Posted by marmilia View Post
    I went with the Polk DXI 651 and since I figured cutting on them would void the warranty anyway got some manufacturer refurbished speakers on ebay for $53. Pretty easy install and really can tell the difference even with the factory amp.

Link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLK-AUDIO-D...3D231720598087
    Mount them upside down to make the voice coil and shelter fit best. And they are great with an amp. See my pictures of the DXi above.
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul

2013 F6B Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    I have the MM series. The component ones. I've got the 6.5" I originally installed the 5.25" but put the 6.5" in. The 5.25" speakers were definitely easier. All I had to do was make an adapter plate because of the difference in size. The MM series 6.5" woofers were indeed an exercise in patience to make fit. I used no batting. Mine sound awesome. The 5.25" sounded good too, but were augmented with the sub which adds a lot.
    yes, you have the mm651 if memory serves. http://www.polkaudio.com/mm651/d/1151

I have the mm6501 http://www.polkaudio.com/mm6501/d/1149
    about $100 more. Both component.