Best stereo upgrade options - Page 19
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Best stereo upgrade options

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstiff's F6B View Post
    Final thoughts on my amp - speaker mod.

I decided of the 3 Polk offerings in a 6.5"; the DXI are the best for ease to install, sound quality in my experience and price point.
    They also perform ok with the Honda OEM amp.
    They can be driven by most any 2 or 4 channel amplifier and work well from 5 to 80 watts RMS.

I also filled the speaker cavities with about 1 square foot of 1" speaker batting, which improved sound clarity and quality.

The volume at 15 is very loud and clear at any speed.
    The DXI sound clear as high as my ears could stand it, 20 + being very loud. Including testimony by neighbors, blocks away.

The amp I used is a Polk PA D2000.2, which supplies plenty of clear power for about any configuration and Fits nicely in the saddle bag. It takes up a 4x 6.5 " area and sits about 2 inches in height.

A sub woofer would be a good supplement but not necessary.

I'd highly recommend the Polk DXI for those wanting more than their oem experience.
    Attachment 17423Attachment 17424
    Attachment 17425

J
    Attachment 17442
    Works well, cheap at Wally.
    Hope my project posts are helpful and relevant.
    J
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by pressorv View Post
    yes, you have the mm651 if memory serves. http://www.polkaudio.com/mm651/d/1151

I have the mm6501 http://www.polkaudio.com/mm6501/d/1149
    about $100 more. Both component.
    No they are not both component. The MM 651 is a coaxial. I have the MM 6501.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

DXI651 vs DXI651S

Dirtstiff and/or marmilia,

I am going to try the DXI651(s) speakers. It's ridiculous that my little 4" rear speakers have so much more bass than the stock front speakers.

So, did you guys put in DXI651S (slim model), or were you able to mount the regular DXI651 speakers?

TIA
    Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    Dirtstiff and/or marmilia,

I am going to try the DXI651(s) speakers. It's ridiculous that my little 4" rear speakers have so much more bass than the stock front speakers.

So, did you guys put in DXI651S (slim model), or were you able to mount the regular DXI651 speakers?

TIA
    Valk,
    I mounted the regular DXI full magnet because it actually is rated higher in watts - RMS and frequency range than the S or shallow mount. Although either would be fine.
    Remember to mount them upside down so that the voice coil doesn't hit the inner fairing, causing the shelter not to fit correctly. See my pictures above.
    Good luck
    J
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

Thanks Dirtstiff,
    I went and ordered the full size for the reasons that you mentioned and because they were a lot cheaper.

If it is practical, I want to temporarily connect one speaker to the OEM amp and the other to my new amp and compare. I will be able to fade back and forth (left and right in this case). That might open a can of worms for me.

I'll let you all know how it comes out.
    Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    Can't speak for anyone else, but I ride 3-600 miles each time I ride. When there isn't snow . If the weather is agreeable and I don't have other household responsibilities (sometimes those get neglected for my riding addiction ). The majority of those rides are round trip in a day rides, just riding to be riding. Sometimes I ride and stay somewhere over night. This summer I have an extended trip plan and a least 2 smaller trips planned that involve packing some luggage. I ride 10- 12 k miles per year usually and this, keep in mind is all recreational riding. I have a service truck that I drive to get me wherever I am working, and yes that means I am not retired. I also live in Kentucky, and while it is not Alaska, we did just get 14-15 " of snow and it is currently 16 degrees Fahrenheit outside.
    I have a small but potent JL Audio subwoofer in one saddlebag. The subwoofer can come out if need be. Two Velcro straps that I installed to keep it secure and 1 dual banana plug for the speaker connection pulled and she slips right out. The rest of the sound system remains and has no impact on storage space. The other saddlebag has nothing but what I pack in it and I do have a luggage rack and luggage to go on that luggage rack.
    So I guess ,what do you mean? Unless I am going over night somewhere, The most I need is a place to put my gear I might want with me for temperature changes while out. One bag by itself does that quite fine.
    Oh and that sub sounds so good while riding too. To each their own, but the last good weather weekend was about 2-3 weeks ago, Went out both Sat and Sun. Temps were in the 40s and lower 50s. Had a great time on some really twisty roads and was jamming all the way.
    Jimmy,
    I loved the sound system on your bike and have been pondering doing the same. Do you think the sub can go on the right side? I use the left side all the time as I always have my iPhone plugged in and I mount/dismount on that side too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Honda 2007 Shadow
    Honda 2006 VTX
    Honda 2013 F6B

Quote Originally Posted by blackmetoc View Post
    Jimmy,
    I loved the sound system on your bike and have been pondering doing the same. Do you think the sub can go on the right side? I use the left side all the time as I always have my iPhone plugged in and I mount/dismount on that side too.
    Yeah, it doesn't ,matter. I chose the left side because unless the bike is on the center stand, the right side bag is just easier for loading and unloading as it is facing up when the bike is on the side stand. I never had a I phone, IPod or MP3 player plugged into the USB port. I use a flash drive. Now , though, my USB connection is up in my left side pocket of the fairing since I installed the Clarion head unit.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Nice!

Yeah, it doesn't ,matter. I chose the left side because unless the bike is on the center stand, the right side bag is just easier for loading and unloading as it is facing up when the bike is on the side stand. I never had a I phone, IPod or MP3 player plugged into the USB port. I use a flash drive. Now , though, my USB connection is up in my left side pocket of the fairing since I installed the Clarion head unit.
    Thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Honda 2007 Shadow
    Honda 2006 VTX
    Honda 2013 F6B

I received my DXI651 speakers and got them installed. They sound Great, with either amp. These speakers put out lower lows and louder lows. Definitely worth the $60.

The new amp gives the lows more "punch". But they sound just fine with the stock amp. I do have to turn the volume up about 2 clicks. So now instead of running about 12 on the volume, I have to use it around 14. That's okay, there is plenty left.

The OEM amp gets a lot of bad press on this board. I ran into something that might explain it (probably not). If you are blasting your stereo without the bike running, the battery is probably around 12.5v. If the bike is running, it will be around 14.5v (mine is a little higher than that). Since power is voltage squared, the 14.5v has 1/3rd more power for the amp than the 12.5v does.

If you are using a 100w+ amp, you don't need full power. 70% is plenty.

Anyway, the speakers are great!
    Albuquerque, NM

Considering...

Can't speak for anyone else, but I ride 3-600 miles each time I ride. When there isn't snow . If the weather is agreeable and I don't have other household responsibilities (sometimes those get neglected for my riding addiction ). The majority of those rides are round trip in a day rides, just riding to be riding. Sometimes I ride and stay somewhere over night. This summer I have an extended trip plan and a least 2 smaller trips planned that involve packing some luggage. I ride 10- 12 k miles per year usually and this, keep in mind is all recreational riding. I have a service truck that I drive to get me wherever I am working, and yes that means I am not retired. I also live in Kentucky, and while it is not Alaska, we did just get 14-15 " of snow and it is currently 16 degrees Fahrenheit outside.
    I have a small but potent JL Audio subwoofer in one saddlebag. The subwoofer can come out if need be. Two Velcro straps that I installed to keep it secure and 1 dual banana plug for the speaker connection pulled and she slips right out. The rest of the sound system remains and has no impact on storage space. The other saddlebag has nothing but what I pack in it and I do have a luggage rack and luggage to go on that luggage rack.
    So I guess ,what do you mean? Unless I am going over night somewhere, The most I need is a place to put my gear I might want with me for temperature changes while out. One bag by itself does that quite fine.
    Oh and that sub sounds so good while riding too. To each their own, but the last good weather weekend was about 2-3 weeks ago, Went out both Sat and Sun. Temps were in the 40s and lower 50s. Had a great time on some really twisty roads and was jamming all the way.
    Since I know from you write-up, you have seen all inside your F6B, and I have yet to purchase any aftermarket items or even remove much of the panels etc and explore the interior areas of the bike, I just wondering about alternative locations for a small amp, and subwoofer rather than the saddle bags, if you have come to find new locations. Also wondering.. with a 3 year factory warranty, if its jeperdizing coverage when any electronic mods are be performed (aka stereo improvements) Its close to the time the bike will be hibernation for the season (don't want road sodium/ chemicals exposure) Stereo changes are likely in the cards, but I have decided how far I want to go with it. I'm not one that likes to be shakin by others stereo's (music choices), so I might also for-go the sub Idea, and I would want to use this in traffic. I believe a better windshield, and better front speakers will be the first sound improvement though.