Best stereo upgrade options - Page 3
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Best stereo upgrade options

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupF6B View Post
    I already did the speaker swap the second week I had the bike...I want an amp, sub, and better speakers up front.
    This is the sub I used

http://www.jlaudio.com/cp106lg-w3v3-...-systems-93300

This is the amp I used. The rear channels are bridged for the sub and the fronts power,well the fronts.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...NVX-MVPA4.html

These are the speakers I installed up front.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...io-MM5251.html

Moderator / V-twin Gobbler GiddyupF6B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstiff's F6B View Post
    Ok, open your wallet and here you go. JM not so much.. Polk MM to start. Jimmie T can introduce you to a subwoofer and amp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    This is the sub I used

http://www.jlaudio.com/cp106lg-w3v3-...-systems-93300

This is the amp I used. The rear channels are bridged for the sub and the fronts power,well the fronts.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...NVX-MVPA4.html

These are the speakers I installed up front.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...io-MM5251.html
    I have no problem opening the wallet at all. You guys speak the audio lingo I do not. I have no idea about bridged, unbridged, ohms, and all that jazz. Once I open the wallet and get all this magical stuff delivered I have no idea what to do with it. I've done (and am doing) some pretty killer stuff on multiple bikes....I just don't speak stereo.....

Sorry Giddy,
    Not trying to sound condesending.
    Re read the existing threads, including Jimmie T's to decide how deep you want to go. My build and decision with amps and crossovers for my 6, starts tomorrow. I need to open her up to figure out how to integrate with oem system and wiring. Jimmie is light years ahead of me in terms of what there is to work from.
    Jim
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

Moderator / V-twin Gobbler GiddyupF6B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstiff's F6B View Post
    Sorry Giddy,
    Not trying to sound condesending.
    Re read the existing threads, including Jimmie T's to decide how deep you want to go. My build and decision with amps and crossovers for my 6, starts tomorrow. I need to open her up to figure out how to integrate with oem system and wiring. Jimmie is light years ahead of me in terms of what there is to work from.
    Jim
    No worries....I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Whoo, I'll tell you it was more complicated than what I had originally imagined, but I am so very pleased with the results. A lot of people could be very happy with just changing the front speakers and adding an amp. The speakers in the fairing I used with the amp sound very good on their own. The sub, just propels it into the stratosphere in sound enjoyment. Riding the bike a couple weekends ago,before the last round of snow, I was just smiling ear to ear with the sound and bass I was getting while carving up some twisty roads.
    I am more than happy to give any input if someone wants to do a similar project. I have jumped across some hurdles already in the process and maybe can help illuminate someone else's path. The biggest issue dealt with hooking up an amp to achieve the operation I wanted. Using speaker level to low level RCA adapters did not work for me. Granted there are some more expensive audio processors that do this adaptation, and if they work, would simplify the process. Smoking Joe on here used one of these and I think he may have got it to work. My problem with the lesser RCA adapters was the signal was severely degraded and distortion was introduced. I chose to splice into the factory wiring harness at the OEM amplifier. I am using the pre out signals from the factory "Audio Unit" to the new amplifier and the OEM amplifier now resides in my parts bin. The results were worth it to me.Requires some skill in soldering, but completely doable. I put in 5.25" Polk MM series speakers that required me to make an adapter plate from a sheet of ABS. The 6.5" will fit with some trimming of the speaker frame.

Jimmy- I wear earplugs when I ride and need to turn the volume up sometimes as high as it will go. Sometimes even that is not quite enough, especially if I'm playing MP3s from my Zumo (so I can also hear spoken directions). What would you recommend in terms of mods if I wanted to get, say, 25% more volume but don't require any improvement in sound quality?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Rich View Post
    Jimmy- I wear earplugs when I ride and need to turn the volume up sometimes as high as it will go. Sometimes even that is not quite enough, especially if I'm playing MP3s from my Zumo (so I can also hear spoken directions). What would you recommend in terms of mods if I wanted to get, say, 25% more volume but don't require any improvement in sound quality?

Thanks!
    It's hard to say. If you want louder than stock, you're going to need to change the speakers and add an amplifier. Sound quality, by default, may improve as well depending on components chosen. The better the sound quality , the better you'll hear distinctly what is being heard. I take it you wear a half helmet or why the ear plugs?

I think a small pre-amped sub is the way to go. Easy to install and remove when needed.

I put one like this under the seat in my Ford Focus and it booms.

Attachment 12229

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...rm_LoPro8.aspx

(just an example)

ok Jimmy when you ever ride down this way we need to talk.

I wanna hear your set up, and you can advise me on the audio stuff and I'll show you how to install cruise.......

Quote Originally Posted by jkelley View Post
    ok Jimmy when you ever ride down this way we need to talk.

I wanna hear your set up, and you can advise me on the audio stuff and I'll show you how to install cruise.......
    Sounds like a plan. May be riding down to the Dragon on the 28th. Not sure yet. But, that's being thrown around as a ride down and back up in the same day. Planning on being at the Rally during Labor Day.
    Other than that anything is possible.
    Maybe another trip could come up. Depends on what kind of summer I have in store. I need a busy one.
    Will be in NC sometime after the Rally most likely for another ride put on each year by one of the VRCC people.

Going to Spearfish ,SD in June, but that's the wrong direction.