Questions about Baker Built Hand Wings - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Questions about Baker Built Hand Wings

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Really? You might want to look again at my pic in post #4.
    I got it now, mine are on there too HB. Takes a little effort to get them on, but if it didn't they wouldn't be of much use, u can't use the wings in the open position without them.

I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Really? You might want to look again at my pic in post #4.
    I didn't spot that earlier. I see it now. Thanks for pointing that out, Ken.
    You had to pry open the clip a bit to get that onto the lip of the mirror, I assume.
    I didn't want to mar the finish on the bottoms of my mirrors so I've left those stops off.
    "1.21 gigawatts?! 1.21 GIGAWATTS??! Great Scott!!"

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    Takes a little effort to get them on, but if it didn't they wouldn't be of much use, u can't use the wings in the open position without them.
    Hmmm. I hadn't tried to run with them open, yet.
    Dang it! Am I really gonna have to install those things?
    My take away from the the install instructions was that they were a safety stop in case of sudden gusts, i.e. passing vehicles. i didn't think they were a required item.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixol Phaane View Post
    I didn't spot that earlier. I see it now. Thanks for pointing that out, Ken.
    You had to pry open the clip a bit to get that onto the lip of the mirror, I assume.
    I didn't want to mar the finish on the bottoms of my mirrors so I've left those stops off.
    You realize that you can't open them up without the stops?

stops, not bumpers

Sorry, yes, I meant the stops. I put my wings on in November, but didn't think the stops were meant for the upside down F6B mirrors because of the fit (the lack thereof). Wasn't an issue in the cold weather in the closed position. However, as soon as I rode on a 75 degree day last month, I tried using them in the open position. Sure enough, they swung too far open and were rendered useless for cooling purposes at speeds higher than 45mph. They need the stops installed. So what's the trick to do this without permanently scratching the mirror frame?

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    You realize that you can't open them up without the stops?
    I do now.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamVengeance View Post
    Sorry, yes, I meant the stops. I put my wings on in November, but didn't think the stops were meant for the upside down F6B mirrors because of the fit (the lack thereof). Wasn't an issue in the cold weather in the closed position. However, as soon as I rode on a 75 degree day last month, I tried using them in the open position. Sure enough, they swung too far open and were rendered useless for cooling purposes at speeds higher than 45mph. They need the stops installed. So what's the trick to do this without permanently scratching the mirror frame?
    My stops are installed. Don't know about scratching since they never come off.

I just installed a set of Baker Hand Wings and the side Wings w/Lowers and Foot Wings. Thank all of you for the info in this post. I did not receive the rubber stops (stick-on) for the hand wings so I tried some cabinate door stops that I had lying around. I do not know if it the cold of the garage or the Liquid Glass polish that I use, but the stickers won't stick. I am going to try the rubber door guard stuff.

Drilling into the trim was not something that I wanted to do but the templates helped me acheive a nice clean install. Oh and by the way, the template for the hand wings ends up being upside down AND backward for the install on the F6B. I figured it out but it seems that Baker doesn't know that the F6B mirrors are upside down when compared to the GL1800.

Thanks again everyone!
    Doc

1998 Suzuki GS500E (Sold)
    2001 Yamaha VS250 Virago (Sold)
    2008 Suzuki GSX1300BK B-King (Sold)
    2013 Honda GL1800BD F6B (Sold)
    2013 Honda CB500F
    2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S
    2016 Honda GL1800

What do they actually do???
    I have no idea

Quote Originally Posted by terrydj View Post
    What do they actually do???
    I have no idea
    Well, Terry, they are "stops" and they do what stops do, they determine the open position of the wings. There's a stop on the closed position too which is the rubber bumper on the fairing. With the open-position stop, you simply rotate the wings open until they contact the stop. So, there's no guesswork on how far to rotate the wings and the added advantage is that sudden gusts of wind can't blow them totally out-of-position.
    Ken (Hornblower)