North Coast 500 - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: North Coast 500

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B Blues View Post
    Yes the newspaper have made it look lots brighter, but mine is just as it was taken and not touched up!
    My pic was taken by me in the course of a tour of the Highlands in 2007, Paul. Just one of many in my album of that trip that captured the great roads of that part of the world.

Cool See it and believe!

Quote Originally Posted by RoadSurfer View Post
    My pic was taken by me in the course of a tour of the Highlands in 2007, Paul. Just one of many in my album of that trip that captured the great roads of that part of the world.
    Hey that's fantastic, I hadn't realised it was your own picture. Things are changing here all the time, some good, some not so good. If you come back this way then look me up.
    "Once more into the fray, into the last good fight I'll ever know, to live and die on this day, to live and die on this day"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B Blues View Post
    You're talking to the converted Jimmy, I don't drink Whisky, only Bourbon

Really ? How it can be ? I thought Kentucky is famous of different brand .

Cool Drunk..

Quote Originally Posted by Limoles View Post
    Oh that's easy, when I was 16 I drank a large bottle of whisky before heading to the disco! I was ill for days afterwards. Also in the Irish regiments on St Patrick's Day we get given Gunfire. That's a very large drop of Irish whisky in some coffee, it's served to us by the officers before breakfast. Drinking that before your Cornflakes can put you of for sure. Don't get me wrong I do have the odd nip when I'm out and about, my I prefer Bourbon.
    "Once more into the fray, into the last good fight I'll ever know, to live and die on this day, to live and die on this day"

Not that other things aren't made here, but Bourbon, did you know it is not Bourbon if it's not made in Kentucky? Bourbon is exclusive to Kentucky. I left one other big thing off the Kentucky is famous for list,,,, Horse Racing and horses

Derby and KFC are the only children of modern times

If comes to history of bourbon whiskey , some other mysterious secrets may be discovered :

Kentucky is famous for its bourbon whiskey, but even most Kentuckians don't know that bourbon is the invention of a Baptist minister. In Kentucky's late 18th Century frontier days, cash was scarce. Many people conducted business via barter, including supporting their churches. The local minister would receive far more tithes in grain than he could ever eat or resell, so most ran distilleries. In what was then called Bourbon County (and is now Scott County), Baptist minister and notorious cheapskate Elijah Craig was no exception. As the story goes, Craig decided to burn out the inside of the oak barrels he aged his whiskey in so he could get one more use out of them. Turns out people liked the flavor imparted by Craig's charred oak more than the straight, regular-oak aged whiskey, and thus bourbon whiskey was born. The sad irony of all this is that Baptists became teetotalers and Scott County went dry. While stolidly Baptist Scott County is now dry as a bone, local legend has it that several casks of Elijah Craig's original bourbon were placed inside the columns of the administration building of the equally Baptist Georgetown College. The legend never fails to lure guillible frat boys into trying to crack those columns open about once a decade.

Does "The Blue Grass" has anything to do with another legends ?

Being part Appalachian, Kentuckians are used to inbreeding jokes. However, there is one joke about Kentucky and inbreeding that's funny because it's true: The story of the Blue Fugates of Troublesome Creek. The Fugates were an extended family living in an isolated hollow in Eastern Kentucky ominously named Troublesome Creek. Most members of the family had "hereditary methemoglobinemia." This is an enzyme deficiency that causes a person's blood to run vein blue as opposed to arterial red. Instead of being pink, these people are tinted blue or purple. The condition is based on a recessive gene; the only way to acquire it is if both your parents pass down the love. So what were the odds of clan founder Martin Fugate taking another methemoglobinemia carrier as his wife? He did, and they settled in Troublesome Creek sometime in the mid 19th Century. Cousins marrying cousins was commonplace among isolated Appalachians, so by the time a doctor discovered the Fugates in the 1960s, there were several blue people living in the hills around Hazard.

If comes to history of bourbon whiskey , some other mysterious secrets may be discovered :

Kentucky is famous for its bourbon whiskey, but even most Kentuckians don't know that bourbon is the invention of a Baptist minister. In Kentucky's late 18th Century frontier days, cash was scarce. Many people conducted business via barter, including supporting their churches. The local minister would receive far more tithes in grain than he could ever eat or resell, so most ran distilleries. In what was then called Bourbon County (and is now Scott County), Baptist minister and notorious cheapskate Elijah Craig was no exception. As the story goes, Craig decided to burn out the inside of the oak barrels he aged his whiskey in so he could get one more use out of them. Turns out people liked the flavor imparted by Craig's charred oak more than the straight, regular-oak aged whiskey, and thus bourbon whiskey was born. The sad irony of all this is that Baptists became teetotalers and Scott County went dry. While stolidly Baptist Scott County is now dry as a bone, local legend has it that several casks of Elijah Craig's original bourbon were placed inside the columns of the administration building of the equally Baptist Georgetown College. The legend never fails to lure guillible frat boys into trying to crack those columns open about once a decade.

Does "The Blue Grass" has anything to do with another legends ?

Being part Appalachian, Kentuckians are used to inbreeding jokes. However, there is one joke about Kentucky and inbreeding that's funny because it's true: The story of the Blue Fugates of Troublesome Creek. The Fugates were an extended family living in an isolated hollow in Eastern Kentucky ominously named Troublesome Creek. Most members of the family had "hereditary methemoglobinemia." This is an enzyme deficiency that causes a person's blood to run vein blue as opposed to arterial red. Instead of being pink, these people are tinted blue or purple. The condition is based on a recessive gene; the only way to acquire it is if both your parents pass down the love. So what were the odds of clan founder Martin Fugate taking another methemoglobinemia carrier as his wife? He did, and they settled in Troublesome Creek sometime in the mid 19th Century. Cousins marrying cousins was commonplace among isolated Appalachians, so by the time a doctor discovered the Fugates in the 1960s, there were several blue people living in the hills around Hazard.
    Interesting story!

You lucky bastard; magnificent. Thanks for sharing.

Finally an explanation for the color of the Naavi people in the movie "Avatar"!

Cool Down the hatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    Not that other things aren't made here, but Bourbon, did you know it is not Bourbon if it's not made in Kentucky? Bourbon is exclusive to Kentucky. I left one other big thing off the Kentucky is famous for list,,,, Horse Racing and horses
    Well I'll be drinking most of this with a pal of mine, he's just landed a great job so we'll be celebrating and listening to great Blues tunes too.

Attachment 12152