BMW 328i filled with regular unleaded - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BMW 328i filled with regular unleaded

This guy is the Stephen Hawking of fuel, easy to talk to.

http://bndautomotive.com/

This problem is NOT caused by the octane difference

Some additional clarification - a modern car ( incl. your BMW ) with a high-octane fuel requirement can be safely run on lower-octane gasoline. Modern vehicles are equipped with a knock sensor, which will automatically detect knock events and then retard ignition timing to prevent knock. It will result in slightly less engine power, but unless you spend a lot of time driving around at full-throttle, the odds are you won't notice any difference at all. It won't hurt anything, either. The engine is designed to be able to safely run on low-octane gasoline for extended periods of time.

The "warning light" is not related to the difference of octane number . Most likely it's effect of computer read-out of any other malfunction , which came in time of re-fueling the gas . You need to diagnose your car in reputable shop .

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar

How many miles on that 2.8 liter 6 cylinder BMW ? What year ?

My last BMW was a 540I and I fueled it with 87 Octane every time even though it called for 92, it ran perfectly fine.

When I hit 140,000 miles the Check engine light came on. The local Auto parts store re-set it for me but it came back on 3,000 miles later. We traced it to a oxygen sensor.

My car had 2 so I replaced both at the same time and the light went away.

Sold that car with 150,000 miles. That V8 was the Ultimate driving machine.

I now drive a V6 and it's not the same.

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Limoles View Post
    The "warning light" is not related to the difference of octane number.
    The more I research, the more I'm inclined to believe you are correct. The check engine light most likely had nothing to do with the octane and was just coincidence. I guess if the code comes back after a full tank of premium, I'll know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    How many miles on that 2.8 liter 6 cylinder BMW ? What year ?
    It's a 2009 with about 46,000 miles. It's actually a 3.0 liter. I have no idea why it's a 228 and not a 330.
    Although I think my wife was somewhat crazy to get rid of her newer lower miles car, I must admit that I love driving her car. It has all-wheel-drive and a manual transmission for extra fun!

blue 2015 F6B Deluxe - sold
    2022 Yamaha Ténéré 700 - coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by CheesyRider View Post
    The more I research, the more I'm inclined to believe you are correct. The check engine light most likely had nothing to do with the octane and was just coincidence. I guess if the code comes back after a full tank of premium, I'll know for sure.

It's a 2009 with about 46,000 miles. It's actually a 3.0 liter. I have no idea why it's a 228 and not a 330.
    Although I think my wife was somewhat crazy to get rid of her newer lower miles car, I must admit that I love driving her car. It has all-wheel-drive and a manual transmission for extra fun!

Phantom's suggestion and my suspicions ( based on experience with BMWs ) , most likely is related to one of 2 oxygen sensors.
    If diagnose will pin point failure of only one , I would replace 2 of them anyway . It's very common problem and shouldn't be consider as a deterioration of the car . It's following poor quality of gas at all . Some gas stations with older underground tanks contains water and sluggish elements , which eventually getting into consumers cars with unwanted staff . Age and high mileage could be an another factor , but in 5-6 years old car is not a case . I hope , it is the only problem and can be solved within simple diagnose and relativaly easy replacement . Buy ONLY designated Bosch Premium O2 sensor . Good luck .

Quote Originally Posted by Limoles View Post
    Some additional clarification - a modern car ( incl. your BMW ) with a high-octane fuel requirement can be safely run on lower-octane gasoline. Modern vehicles are equipped with a knock sensor, which will automatically detect knock events and then retard ignition timing to prevent knock. It will result in slightly less engine power, but unless you spend a lot of time driving around at full-throttle, the odds are you won't notice any difference at all. It won't hurt anything, either. The engine is designed to be able to safely run on low-octane gasoline for extended periods of time.

The "warning light" is not related to the difference of octane number . Most likely it's effect of computer read-out of any other malfunction , which came in time of re-fueling the gas . You need to diagnose your car in reputable shop .
    You have single-handedly restored my belief that intelligent life resides in New Jersey, you are the man. I have never used high test in any of my cars or bikes. You have no choice on the water, it's all hi-test here.

OCTANES

Quote Originally Posted by taxfree4 View Post
    You have single-handedly restored my belief that intelligent life resides in New Jersey, you are the man. I have never used high test in any of my cars or bikes. You have no choice on the water, it's all hi-test here.
    This is proving again , that all cars being on the roads in USA are the best among best in the world and all of them can take
    (technically speaking) huge ABUSE . Yes - we might understand now , why our gas is cheaper then that in Europe . If I tell
    you , that "worst" petrol grade sold in Europe has 92 octanes ( and going up to 99 ), it will clarify the question : "Why is so" ?
    Well - OCTANES contain structural isomers (stereoisomers) , which are costly in production and consumers must pay for it .
    Octane boosters are required for immediate response in "stop and go" habits in smaller european cities or even highways .
    Americans driving cars with much more powerful engines and traditionally , most of them are overbuild and do not need any
    enhancements on longer distances ( which we are famous of ) . So , re-assuming this , using hi-octain gasoline is the only
    factory recommendation in hi-performance cars and thanks to self-adjusting sensors , we can use lower petrol grades without
    sacrificing pleasures of driving them . However , there is another factor related to temperatures and time of fuel burn-out
    in combustion chambers , which definitely increases performing responsiveness in racing cars or motorcycles , that's why
    these vehicles needs much higher quality of gas .

That's a nice looking car. I always loved bmw's but scared to buy one cause of maintenance costs (so I've been told). I would run that cheap gas out or try to siphon it out. I'm a firm believer if the car calls for premium then that's what it needs to run and perform how it was built to do. Kinda ironic the problems didn't start until it was filled with 87 octane. goodluck and I hope it all works out

Before you go too far on additves or anything(all of which may be good suggestions) a question
    When she put gas in it did she tighten the gas cap and make it click a couple of times?
    Dont know BMWs but most American cars go to the shop with a check engine light and all it is -is the gas cap is not on tight. Causes a vacuum leak and there's your check engine light. If you haven't checked,take the cap off,then put it back, making sure it clicks a couple of times.
    Sounds silly but check it out..

I should have updated this thread when the problem was resolved. The misfire was just a coincidence and had nothing to do with the gasoline grade. A coil was bad. It has been replaced and the car has been running great. Thanks everyone!
    blue 2015 F6B Deluxe - sold
    2022 Yamaha Ténéré 700 - coming soon