The difference between Lower Cowl 960's and LED Rectangular Low Fog Lamps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The difference between Lower Cowl 960's and LED Rectangular Low Fog Lamps

The difference between Lower Cowl 960's and LED Rectangular Low Fog Lamps

Currently I have the 960's on my Gold Wing and just receive the S/C LED Rectangular Low Fogs from Value Accessories that I planned on installing on my F6B before I bought the Wing. Before I install them on the F6B, I'm curious if anybody else has experienced the difference between the two. The 960's on the GW were installed by the previous owner and looks like they were mounted to the cowl instead of brackets as there are (2) screws thru the cowl above the 960's.
    What I am wondering about is the color and light dispersion, I have 6K HID's on the F6B now and hoped the LED color would be a close match too. Figured I would ask here before I went any further.

Thanks

Many have stated the 960 lights are super bright would guess many like I are patiently waiting for a definite answer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LX2--I wondered about the same thing. I've been running the 960's and have been happy with them. It's going to be interesting to see how they stack up against these newer rectangular ones. The new ones look great in the rectangular openings but my questions have more to do with light output and pattern. With 960's, you get four 10-watt bulbs. That's 40 watts of LED power. I didn't see any bulb specs on the new rectangular lights so it's hard to make any spec-based comparison. From what I've seen so far, I'm doubtful the new lights will compare favorably to the 960's but who knows .
    Ken (Hornblower)

HB...........

With me about THAT close to selling the F6B, having the new LEDs still new in the package, 960's already in the GW............
    I was trying to decide to put the NEW LED's in the GW or leave in the existing 960's OR install which ever ones I did not use in the F6B and call it a day.

Maybe someone else will chime in the their thoughts or experience.

Thanks

Moderator / V-twin Gobbler GiddyupF6B's Avatar
    I have the 960's and I am very happy with them. They are super bright and increase day time visibility a tremendous amount. At night they illuminate not only in front of the bike but a good bit of area on the sides as well. I couldn't imagine a set of lights being brighter than the 960's but I guess we'll all find out here soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by LX2 View Post
    With me about THAT close to selling the F6B, having the new LEDs still new in the package, 960's already in the GW............
    I was trying to decide to put the NEW LED's in the GW or leave in the existing 960's OR install which ever ones I did not use in the F6B and call it a day.

Maybe someone else will chime in the their thoughts or experience.

Thanks
    I know, I know! I'm no help at all
    Ken (Hornblower)

Your are comparing apples and oranges....the 960's will burn your eyes and melt stuff down the road. As far as I can tell the new lights will throw a beam of lite down the road and put a wide swath of lite about mid-tire forward.....

1. What are you looking for?
    2. Do you want to see or be seen?
    3. Do you want the hole filled the correct way or have gaps around the light or something screwed to the opening?

I/me prefer to have a light that fits the hole, I believe the new lights do that perfectly!...are they going to melt anything...no...are they cool to the max...YES

One must decide what they are looking for...for those going to the Keys/Daytona...you can see my lites and decide from there...

Hey Ken...grab one of my pics showing the new lights and juxtapose a pic of the 960's next to it. That may help some to decide!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Your are comparing apples and oranges....the 960's will burn your eyes and melt stuff down the road. As far as I can tell the new lights will throw a beam of lite down the road and put a wide swath of lite about mid-tire forward.....
    Hey Ken...grab one of my pics showing the new lights and juxtapose a pic of the 960's next to it. That may help some to decide!
    Steve--Here is a pic of my front lights:

Attachment 12204

And, to add to the above, I now have the SoCalMoto Switchbacks so no more yellow running lights in the front turn signals. As you can tell, my vote comes down to lights that help me see on down-the-road. Part of this needing more light comes from a bad experience in Daytona one year when a few drunk guys removed a man hole cover and I ran through the open man hole at about 55 mph. I didn't crash but I did suffer hyper-extended ligaments in my right elbow from trying to keep the bars from going full lock. Ever since then, I add driving lights to all my bikes to illuminate the road right in front.

But wait...I found the more recent pic:

Attachment 12205
    Ken (Hornblower)

Yeppers....

I just plugged in one of the LED's in from the set I just received, definitely not what I had hoped for. Think I'll see if BikeMP3 offers brackets to mount the 960's to the front of the heads instead of screwing them to the cowl. After seeing those pictures with the 960's, I'm all over that.

Thanks for posting the pics Ken

Moderator / V-twin Gobbler GiddyupF6B's Avatar