Anyone NOT own a handgun? - Page 11
Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone NOT own a handgun?

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Hey Limo , don't get down brother. It didn't stop the guy that's in there now.
    What a bright idea !!!! You're right . It's time for revolutionary thinking ! Instead accepting lies and delivery of empty promises with all kind of BS to confused public , allowing fear to overcome our well being , which pulverize true values among my fellow Americans , I'll be the first , who shall make real changes ! If I'll be elected , it will make all Americans laughing and finally criminals will give up and surrender to my New Rules . Imagine being happy ? Say no to bipartisan status quo , leading us to nowhere ! No more bullets flying over our heads !!! Vote for Silly Freddy Flintstone instead .

ps.
    Give me another bottle of whiskey - my is empty already .

I've never been able to see the rationale.

It's what I call a "bubble" idea... sounds good in a bubble (to some), but doesn't work in the real world; the burden, onus, and downsides are carried by legal owners while having little to no effect on restricting the idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    I've never been able to see the rationale.

It's what I call a "bubble" idea... sounds good in a bubble (to some), but doesn't work in the real world; the burden, onus, and downsides are carried by legal owners while having little to no effect on restricting the idiots.
    That's what happened with the registry up here. It's history now.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    My impression was that anyone can go down to any sporting goods store, fill out a form, and in 1 week or so pick up their approved handgun without any kind of training or practical exam. Is that not true?
    If not, please tell me how so many people can own handguns in the US.
    Not in a sporting goods store, but I once walked into a gun show and bought a hand gun from a "private citizen" The private citizen was there almost every month with a large table of guns which he sold. It took about 25 minutes for me to walk out with the gun.

I don't carry often but can if I feel the need. I have no problem with people who carry or don't I just don't feel everyone should have the right too. Lots of mentally sick individuals have bought guns legally under various state rules, as long as a person is sane they should have the right to have as many guns as they want.

Is it true , that in Texas ( or perhaps some other State ) ANYBODY can buy w/o permit "whatever heart desire" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Limoles View Post
    Is it true , that in Texas ( or perhaps some other State ) ANYBODY can buy w/o permit "whatever heart desire" ?
    It is true in most states that there is no "permit" required to purchase a firearm; the exceptions being states in the northeast and California. There may be restrictions, but no permit required. Read the Second Amendment.

Just came across this.......pissed me right off.
    Setup a false store.
    Hire an actor - the dude from Grand Theft Auto 5.
    Scare the crap out of anyone entering the store - targeting first time buyers - from ever owning a gun.

But MORE importantly, it conveys the message that "having a gun will turn a normal, law-abiding citizen into an un-responsible citizen and potentially a killer."
    So PO'd I could chew up nails and spit thumbtacks.

http://bearingarms.com/desperation-g...mpt-sell-fear/
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

No permit required ?

Quote Originally Posted by hoglaw View Post
    It is true in most states that there is no "permit" required to purchase a firearm; the exceptions being states in the northeast and California. There may be restrictions, but no permit required. Read the Second Amendment.
    As I mentioned before , each State has different interpretation of the Second Amendment . I also know , that in Texas you can buy any weapon without checking your background , however I can be wrong . Read NJ law instead :

"Purchasing a Firearm in New Jersey & Obtaining a Firearm ID Card"

The process starts with your local police department. By law you must complete a form STS-33 (the application), be fingerprinted, and fill out a Consent To Mental Health Records Check from. Two references must be provided. Some police departments require that the references are not related or living with you. Please see our page on Operation Establish Compliance for information on how to deal with police departments requesting additional paperwork, interviews, and references to what the NJ State Police guidelines require.

Once the forms are complete and your references return their questionnaires, you should be issued your Firearms Purcharser's ID card within 30 days. Many citizens report that it may take up to 6 months or longer to receive your FID card depending on the police department you filed with.

After you are issued your card, you may purchase a long gun (shotgun, rifle, black powder rifle, or BB gun). If you wish to purchase a hand gun (including a BB handgun), you must apply for a Permit to Purchase a Handgun. These permits are only good for 90 days, but may be extended an additional 90 days for a total of no more than 180 at the discretion of your local police chief. You may only purchase one hand gun per month (every 30 days). Each hand gun requires its own permit. The application for a Permit to Purchase a Handgun is the same as applying for your initial Firearms ID card except finger prints are not required.

So , tell me , how it works in your State , or MOST ( which you've indicate ) ?

Quote Originally Posted by Limoles View Post
    As I mentioned before , each State has different interpretation of the Second Amendment . I also know , that in Texas you can buy any weapon without checking your background , however I can be wrong . Read NJ law instead :

"Purchasing a Firearm in New Jersey & Obtaining a Firearm ID Card"

The process starts with your local police department. By law you must complete a form STS-33 (the application), be fingerprinted, and fill out a Consent To Mental Health Records Check from. Two references must be provided. Some police departments require that the references are not related or living with you. Please see our page on Operation Establish Compliance for information on how to deal with police departments requesting additional paperwork, interviews, and references to what the NJ State Police guidelines require.

Once the forms are complete and your references return their questionnaires, you should be issued your Firearms Purcharser's ID card within 30 days. Many citizens report that it may take up to 6 months or longer to receive your FID card depending on the police department you filed with.

After you are issued your card, you may purchase a long gun (shotgun, rifle, black powder rifle, or BB gun). If you wish to purchase a hand gun (including a BB handgun), you must apply for a Permit to Purchase a Handgun. These permits are only good for 90 days, but may be extended an additional 90 days for a total of no more than 180 at the discretion of your local police chief. You may only purchase one hand gun per month (every 30 days). Each hand gun requires its own permit. The application for a Permit to Purchase a Handgun is the same as applying for your initial Firearms ID card except finger prints are not required.

So , tell me , how it works in your State , or MOST ( which you've indicate ) ?
    Reread the Second Amendment. "...shall not be infringed." and your question re: permit. A "permit" is permission. The argument in cases where this has been litigated is that a "permit" in an infringement. I never practiced, and attempted to never visit, in New Jersey, so I don't know. But the fact that you have to seek permission from the state for permission seems to be contrary to the Constitution.

In general terms, whenever a buyer wants to buy a firearm from an ATF licensed dealer he must show he is not in a prohibited class (felon, mental defective, etc). This is done by a background check.

For face-to-face transactions between citizens of the same state there is, in most states, no checks, no permits, no government interference...and no record.

Our Constitution does not grant citizens rights, it restricts what government can do. This is contrary to systems of government in most of the world where the sovereign (king, dictator, committee) tells the citizens what will be allowed. Firearms are just one of those rights.

There have been many attempts over the years by various government entities to restrict rights. Most have failed, but some are still in effect. Litigation takes time. For example: FDR imprisoned thousands of loyal Japanese-Americans during WW2. This was clearly beyond the dictates of the Constitution. I doubt our government would try this today with Muslim-Americans. For many years the city government of Washington, DC, refused to allow firearm ownership by residents. This was recently addressed by the courts and the city was found to be in violation of the Constitution.

California, the petulant liberal child, has enacted some very restrictive laws in recent years. There is on-going litigation to address these issues.

I don't know , how to answer to your explanations . I never applied for weapon's "permit" or any other certificate related to its license's restrictions - simply because I DID'T NEED one . Despite legistlative differences and interpretations of Second Amendment in individually listed US States , my initial question was addressed to those , who could possibly know Texas's practices of buying firearms straight from the shelf , without presenting any documents . Probably there are more States , which shall follow such a unrestricted sales , but it has no impact on my lucking desires . In Army I was "straight shooter" , many times awarded for various abilities , labeling necessary usefulness in case of foreign aggression agains my country , but since then , buying any firearm for private purpose never crossed my mind . Even knowing the world's history very well and nonsense of any wars , I can only assure you , that in only time of any possible thread towards US Union and when our freedom and dignity might be in jeopardy , I'll be the first , who will grab available weapon and fight for its purpose . It's something , which we all have coded in our genes .