Anyone NOT own a handgun? - Page 32
Page 32 of 43 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone NOT own a handgun?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1584 View Post
    Neato. Utopia. Good luck with that. I'll stick with the reality of everyday life, and deal with the effects in my own way.

Nope, not Einstein. Best check your references, or was this intentional? This is from Dorothy Thompson, a children's book writer. It all makes more sense now.
    You can stick to ( American ) reality , because you don't know any other one . It's obvious , that cleverly injected to your understandings "American Exeptionalism" , with falsely presented advantages over another cultures , created concept of ( so called ) values , which you "shall" defend . In the same time , that mind-set doesn't give you any chances for improvement . You stick to what was presented to you and because you believe "it is best". Such a process of deformed thinking is disastrous , especially in confrontation with other groups of society , whose horizons reach farther , than "rights" written in XVIII century . Utopian ideology has nothing to do simple peace and tranquility among people . As you might know ( or maybe not ) , more open-minded Americans wants to see this country "guns free" , but another arguments of "being afraid of Government" counterpoise its pragmatism . Closed circle and never ending controversies between logic and madness , which we all experience every day .

Original quote of German scientist , Albert Einstein was brought and highlighted to attention in his book "The World As I See It" . So , American Dorothy Thompson , who was NOT children's book writer , but journalist , was awarded with authorship of it . It's another example of political malformity for the purpose of exclusively American "advanced" intellectual superiority . Actually they lived in the same time . They worked in different fields , but with common goals and had the same , sensible ideas ; presenting to all views on aspects of progress , education and peace . Both were trying to influence world's leaders and provide many solutions on the way to obtain normality of life . I wish you could understand it .

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.

Albert Einstein

( from the same book as provided above )

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    Did you expect more?
    Naaa, but despite our differences, I'll still ride with ya.

Karim - It's a fantastic quote . No Guns and No Speed Limit do not match reality of this land . It would be Utopian child in dreams of many . The good news are - the dreams are free , but ironically - still not affordable ... for all .

I am legally armed to protect myself and family from those who are illegally armed.

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    Naaa, but despite our differences, I'll still ride with ya.
    Likewise.
    And we'd have some interesting off-topic discussions at the watering holes.

Quote Originally Posted by flat6bagger View Post
    I am legally armed to protect myself and family from those who are illegally armed.
    Ditto, I live in Florida after all.

I live 120 miles South of Chicago.
    That is enough to make me keep a gun on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Limoles View Post
    You can stick to ( American ) reality , because you don't know any other one . It's obvious , that cleverly injected to your understandings "American Exeptionalism" , with falsely presented advantages over another cultures , created concept of ( so called ) values , which you "shall" defend . In the same time , that mind-set doesn't give you any chances for improvement . You stick to what was presented to you and because you believe "it is best". Such a process of deformed thinking is disastrous , especially in confrontation with other groups of society , whose horizons reach farther , than "rights" written in XVIII century . Utopian ideology has nothing to do simple peace and tranquility among people . As you might know ( or maybe not ) , more open-minded Americans wants to see this country "guns free" , but another arguments of "being afraid of Government" counterpoise its pragmatism . Closed circle and never ending controversies between logic and madness , which we all experience every day .

Original quote of German scientist , Albert Einstein was brought and highlighted to attention in his book "The World As I See It" . So , American Dorothy Thompson , who was NOT children's book writer , but journalist , was awarded with authorship of it . It's another example of political malformity for the purpose of exclusively American "advanced" intellectual superiority . Actually they lived in the same time . They worked in different fields , but with common goals and had the same , sensible ideas ; presenting to all views on aspects of progress , education and peace . Both were trying to influence world's leaders and provide many solutions on the way to obtain normality of life . I wish you could understand it .

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.

Albert Einstein

( from the same book as provided above )
    Yeah I think this one might actually credit to Einstein. I have never held my culture in higher esteem, publicly anyway, than any other. Actually, I've always been curious about other cultures, as I am curious about yours. I bore people to tears asking questions about their laws, customs, etc. Not once has it occurred to me to construct a long list of things I don't like about these cultures, then deliver them to those who might feel the most strongly about them. This is exactly what you are doing here. You believe you have some kind of moral and intellectual high ground, which you clearly do not, so you are acting accordingly. Man, have fun. But recognize that your audience here will have been educated, at the very least, to whatever level you might have achieved. Implying that people who dont agree with you are simple minded is counter-productive. I do understand you.

Keep trying if you must, but if the vast majority of Americans wanted this country to be freed of firearms, then that is how it would go. Frankly, our founding fathers knew better than to set up a government which could not be held accountable to the people. So now we have firearms in our midst. To prevent the kind of tyranny they were escaping. It was a different time, admittedly, but this is what we have. This is the system. The place to change it, for you, is at the voting booth. I will always respect the will of the people (this means free and fair elections.)

When fear mongering effects … became a paranoia

Quote Originally Posted by Limoles View Post
    Just curious ?
    Curious about what? Two AK-47 rifles (if that is what they were) up against a single handgun, in the right hands. Normally the smart money would be on the AK's. I doubt our gun laws would have mattered much to the two misguided 'terrorists' in arming themselves. All's well that ends well, no cartoonists killed. Muhammad just said he wanted no images of himself made, to head off the idea that some people would worship those images. As he was only a man, his words, he wanted no part of being worshiped. Oddly, by committing these acts, for these reasons, one could make a case for these guys being guilty of (inverse?) idol worship. Now there is some irony for you. Not many people in the world gathered around a cartoon chanting.

Dorothy Thompson was the real deal. All over the journalism scene for WWII, and told it right, on the air and in the papers. From both sides of the Atlantic. Hats off to you. I like books too. I still think those were her words, as she'd have had no need to be 'awarded authorship' for anything. She said plenty herself. She also wrote a couple of children's books, unfortunately my only exposure to her as of yesterday. Color me enlightened.