Anyone NOT own a handgun? - Page 7
Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone NOT own a handgun?

Quote Originally Posted by Limoles View Post
    So , it means - waiving the flag above can be called "American Exceptionalism" ?
    Looks like is no obvious solution to cure all System , but giving chances to all by education and fairness would help a lot . The problem is , nobody wants , or even try to start this process . Many countries did it already and surprisingly ... succeeded . Ironically , their flags wave at the bottom of the list .
    "American Exceptionalism" has existed since 1776, and saved Europe's ass at least three times (WWI, WWII, and the Cold War).

If you believe the opportunity for education doesn't exist in this country you're wrong, or at least misinformed.

"Fairness"? Everyone is given an equal opportunity. Yeah, some have a head start, but the possibility exists...but you have to work for it. Whenever I hear the word "fair" I think of that response that "fair" is a place you go to eat cotton candy, go on rides and step in monkey poop. No one was ever promised life would be fair. Everyone in America is promised an opportunity, but it's up to you to get off your lazy butt and take advantage of what's out there.

Most of America's problems today can be squarely traced to LBJ's "Great Society". People are paid not to work, or even look for work. Most of America's poor live a life that would be considered luxury elsewhere in the world.

Most small countries of the world are comprised of a homogenius (sp?) society. The great melting pot is made up of people from all over the world, and while this makes us unique, it does create some problems.

There are those in our government who want us to be more European-like. Then there are those of us who are individuals and are happy to have it stay that way.

Don't get me started on the demographics of our incarcerated population...Phantom will ban me.

Quote Originally Posted by hoglaw View Post
    "American Exceptionalism" has existed since 1776, and saved Europe's ass at least three times (WWI, WWII, and the Cold War).

If you believe the opportunity for education doesn't exist in this country you're wrong, or at least misinformed.

"Fairness"? Everyone is given an equal opportunity. Yeah, some have a head start, but the possibility exists...but you have to work for it. Whenever I hear the word "fair" I think of that response that "fair" is a place you go to eat cotton candy, go on rides and step in monkey poop. No one was ever promised life would be fair. Everyone in America is promised an opportunity, but it's up to you to get off your lazy butt and take advantage of what's out there.

Most of America's problems today can be squarely traced to LBJ's "Great Society". People are paid not to work, or even look for work. Most of America's poor live a life that would be considered luxury elsewhere in the world.

Most small countries of the world are comprised of a homogenius (sp?) society. The great melting pot is made up of people from all over the world, and while this makes us unique, it does create some problems.

There are those in our government who want us to be more European-like. Then there are those of us who are individuals and are happy to have it stay that way.

Don't get me started on the demographics of our incarcerated population...Phantom will ban me.

This is not about "believes" , but the facts and reality . And that's the reason , why you must sleep with the gun attached to your ideas . If you are afraid of comparisons ( and Phantom's reaction ), send me PM and I'll be glad to provide supplements to your limited vision and subconscious .

I bought a Taurus .38 Special after the L.A. Riots because I wanted something that I could carry on me if society went to shat. I should have just waited a few days to get over the fear; I've never been glad that I bought it. Last year I turned the ammo in to the local P.D. because it was old and I haven't fired any rounds for almost 20 years. The gun is unloaded and stored away up in my closet. I wouldn't even consider carrying out in public unless I satisfied myself that I had ample training to carry and use it, and then I'd be paranoid that I would end up injuring someone unintentionally or just plain losing it somewhere.

I'm not afraid of guns per se, I've done plenty of shooting, I just seriously question the utility of private gun ownership. Not whether or not it should be *legal*, just whether or not it's *smart* for most people.

Just a little known fact of Florida law... no paper work is needed for person to person firearm sales... local ads always have things for sale.

I hope some of you guys with past issues can use that to your advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by motozeke View Post
    I'm not afraid of guns per se, I've done plenty of shooting, I just seriously question the utility of private gun ownership. Not whether or not it should be *legal*, just whether or not it's *smart* for most people.
    My sentiments also.
    If Canada legalized handguns tomorrow, I would never want to own one, or two, or dozens as some here do.
    I should pose the next question.
    For those that do own handguns, how many times have you had to use them to protect yourself or your family?
    That's what I thought, likely never.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    ...I should pose the next question.
    For those that do own handguns, how many times have you had to use them to protect yourself or your family?
    That's what I thought, likely never.
    Whoa there, chickadee....
    Twice. Both times were very uncomfortable, but the wife and I are well trained in home defense and the kids reacted perfectly - as per their training.
    Details can be heard after a bit of tequila at Franklin.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Whoa there, chickadee....
    Twice. Both times were very uncomfortable, but the wife and I are well trained in home defense and the kids reacted perfectly - as per their training.
    Details can be heard after a bit of tequila at Franklin.
    Did you shoot a home invader, or a squirrel nattering outside your bedroom window?

I'm a funny guy!

Did you shoot a home invader, or a squirrel nattering outside your bedroom window?

I'm a funny guy!
    ...at Franklin...
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    ...at Franklin...
    I wish. That's thousands of miles for me.
    Can we meet, say, in Minnesota?

I wish. That's thousands of miles for me.
    Can we meet, say, in Minnesota?
    Aye, 'tis.
    FaceTime or Skype then.
    I thought you were closer to Toronto, in Ontario. Didn't put together that Winnipeg is in Manitoba. Sorry for my geography ignorance.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce