Anyone NOT own a handgun? - Page 9
Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone NOT own a handgun?

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Bird I have to tell you. Americans that legally own and possess and carry s handgun are some of the most responsible people on the planet. You rarely hear of one of them having to use his or her firearm. Most of us have enough sense to avoid that type of situation. Its not the wild west down here. People that illegally possess a firearm account for the trouble.
    Shooter,
    Remember that Big Bird is from Canada, you know the people who are still beholden to the Royal Family. I bet you can pick those ears off with a Mannlicher Carcano at 500 yards with a 40 mph wind in the pouring rain. Was that too harsh? RELEASE THE HOUNDS!

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    People that illegally possess a firearm account for the trouble.
    My impression was that anyone can go down to any sporting goods store, fill out a form, and in 1 week or so pick up their approved handgun without any kind of training or practical exam. Is that not true?
    If not, please tell me how so many people can own handguns in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    My impression was that anyone can go down to any sporting goods store, fill out a form, and in 1 week or so pick up their approved handgun without any kind of training or practical exam. Is that not true?
    ...not exactly....
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

In Michigan, law abiding citizens with a CCW license can go into the sporting goods store, show their license and walk out with a new firearm.
    In a "Shall Issue" state, everyone who qualifies shall be issued a license, I believe there are only a few thing that will stop an issue, mental illness, felony conviction, restraining order.
    Not saying that making the effort to go through the process of obtaining a CCW eliminates the bad apples,
    ...but I'd like to see some factual statistics on crimes committed with a firearm, those who have a firearm legally vs. those who do not?

If you do not have a CCW license, there is a waiting period.

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    ...not exactly....

That doesn't clarify much for me.
    Am I still wrong?
    I need to be corrected so I don't carry forward with an incorrect attitude about why it is so easy for any US citizen who isn't already a felon to legally own a handgun.
    My thinking is handgun registry, but that would go over with about as much popularity as Obamacare.

Am I still wrong?
    I need to be corrected so I don't carry forward with an incorrect attitude about why it is so easy for any US citizen who isn't already a felon to legally own a handgun.
    My thinking is handgun registry, but that would go over with about as much popularity as Obamacare.
    I think we can clear up your query with one simple sentence....

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Am I still wrong?
    Copy. Sorry. Was called to supper.

Anyway, the specifics vary by state.
    But I 'think' that at a bare minimum, a phone call is made to the national "see-if-this-guy-is-a-bad-person-records-keeping-people" and your status as a felon, or whatever else would keep you from legally owning a weapon, is discovered or cleared.
    Some states have waiting periods for handguns and/or long guns, others do not.
    Some states recognize a CCW permit during the purchase - to different degrees of making the transaction go smoother - while others do not.
    It truly "depends" upon which state you reside, and F6B1911 is spot on.
    So...I guess there is no "complete" answer, unless you get state specific.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

But I 'think' that at a bare minimum, a phone call is made to the national "see-if-this-guy-is-a-bad-person-records-keeping-people" and your status as a felon, or whatever else would keep you from
    The phone call is a NICs check, National Instant Criminal Background Check System

...an example of state differences..

Here is a picture of a .22 caliber, very ergonomically correct, professional match shooting pistol:
    Attachment 12466
    In 49 states, it is recognized as a "match grade weapon" and treated as such.
    In California? It is legislated as an "assault weapon."

Anyone out there know why?
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

Anyone out there know why?
    Nancy Pelosi, Diane Feinstein, et al