IPOD or USB ?
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: IPOD or USB ?

IPOD or USB ?

Which one offers the best sound? I would assume the Ipod but just want input from someone who has tried both?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lloydmoore1 View Post
    Which one offers the best sound? I would assume the Ipod but just want input from someone who has tried both?
    thanks
    Not sure it's the iPod or the USB so much as it is how the music was encoded.
    A 256K file will sound much better than a 126K file.
    True CD-quality files take up anywhere from three to 10 times as much as space as an MP3 or AAC file, depending on the latter's bit rate; 24-bit files take up even more space.
    They come in several formats: FLAC, WAV, AIFF, and Apple Lossless. (FLAC and Apple Lossless contain some data compression but only in a method that doesn't affect sound quality.

Quote Originally Posted by lloydmoore1 View Post
    thanks
    All I can add is that USB is far more convenient for managing, storing and carrying your music, and cheaper too.

For the "Best" Sound?

Windows .wav files or Apple's "Lossless" format to get the "best" sound from a USB input.
    But you are going to use a lot of storage space. 15-17 songs per gigabyte.
    MP3s, even at their highest bit rates, are quite literally crushed.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    All I can add is that USB is far more convenient for managing, storing and carrying your music, and cheaper too.
    I have never used a USB for music so I am curious how it is more convenient for storing and managing music? I have an IPOD I came into when one of my sons moved on to a bigger and better model. It seems very easy to use but I have nothing to compare it to.

Quote Originally Posted by valkmc View Post
    I have never used a USB for music so I am curious how it is more convenient for storing and managing music? I have an IPOD I came into when one of my sons moved on to a bigger and better model. It seems very easy to use but I have nothing to compare it to.
    A USB drive has no batteries, doesn't need to be re-charged, you don't lose any storage space for the Apple overhead files like on an iPod, basically it's just a hard drive.

Can't comment on the quality question, but was happily surprised to find out my old iPhone 4S loaded to brim with a couple hundred CD's was treated just like an iPod when plugged into the bike! Fully controllable, playlists, artists, songs......sweet!

It's the little things.....................

Digital is digital... whether from iPod, USB, or whatever else; these are simply storage and retrieval devices.

Good sound comes from quality encoding and quality playback systems.

Quote Originally Posted by F6B1911 View Post
    Not sure it's the iPod or the USB so much as it is how the music was encoded.
    A 256K file will sound much better than a 126K file.
    True CD-quality files take up anywhere from three to 10 times as much as space as an MP3 or AAC file, depending on the latter's bit rate; 24-bit files take up even more space.
    They come in several formats: FLAC, WAV, AIFF, and Apple Lossless. (FLAC and Apple Lossless contain some data compression but only in a method that doesn't affect sound quality.
    +1

Ipod or USB

I plugged my Iphone 5 into the USB jack with the same music I have on my USB...I can't tell the difference in sound.
    The thing I like about the USB is it is sooo easy to load and change the music on it!!! In ITunes it is a challenge to load the music I want...
    With the USB I just go to my music folder and load away!!!! After I load it all I have a program that will tag it and number the songs anyway I like them...

2013 Honda Goldwing F6B Deluxe
    Red
    Indianapolis, Indiana

I am still confused about making the USB thing happen. I loaded all my Itunes songs to a USB,it took them but when I plug it in the bike says 'No Song' I checked it with a USB that works and aha they are MPEG 4. A little reseach on my stored music on the one that works and so far my conclusion is the Honda sound system will play an Ipod ok and MPEG3 ok, but cant see MPEG4?
    I am lost. Any geniuses out there that know how this works?
    I tested with my Daughter's Ipod works great. Mine was stolen from my car.Clues on using the USB ? Changing the format ...?