IPOD or USB ? - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: IPOD or USB ?

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    Doing a search here from my ride yesterday. I don't have any music d/l on my iPhone 5s, but tried to play pandora through the usb in the saddlebag. It was a no go. My friend plugged his ipod in and it was fine. As you can tell, I have no clue about plug in's. Is that possible or do I need to d/l music in the music app? I might just get an ipod and leave the phone in my pocket.

I'm clueless, so thanks for any advice.
    Same here I plugged my iPod nano into the usb and no sound no nothing, pushed the aux button few times and still nothing??
    Plugged the iPod into the 3.5mm jack and it played fine..
    Guess I'll get the manual out and see what it says...

I also use my iPhone 6+ via 3.5mm jack with IHeart Radio app and the sound is perfect !

Quote Originally Posted by 06Blackpearl View Post
    Same here I plugged my iPod nano into the usb and no sound no nothing, pushed the aux button few times and still nothing??
    Plugged the iPod into the 3.5mm jack and it played fine..
    Guess I'll get the manual out and see what it says...

I also use my iPhone 6+ via 3.5mm jack with IHeart Radio app and the sound is perfect !
    I would have thought the ipod would work. My phone didn't work with the left cubby wire either. I didn't spend a lot of time on it, wanted to ride. I'll probably look for an ipod. I don't like to mess around too much testing this or that, but thought I'd ask about pandora first.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Doing a search here from my ride yesterday. I don't have any music d/l on my iPhone 5s, but tried to play pandora through the usb in the saddlebag. It was a no go. My friend plugged his ipod in and it was fine. As you can tell, I have no clue about plug in's. Is that possible or do I need to d/l music in the music app? I might just get an ipod and leave the phone in my pocket.

I'm clueless, so thanks for any advice.
    Best choice in my opinion would be get your music put on a memory stick... stick it in the saddle bag and your all set up. The sound is great and just as good or better than the ipod hookup. I've done both.
    Just keep the music in the folders less than 250 songs in each, MP3 format and bobs your uncle. I have about 2000 songs on mine and I usually listen to the radio but when the station starts to go I hit my aux button once and get my good tunes going.

I would have thought the ipod would work. My phone didn't work with the left cubby wire either. I didn't spend a lot of time on it, wanted to ride. I'll probably look for an ipod. I don't like to mess around too much testing this or that, but thought I'd ask about pandora first.
    Same here I got up early erased the iOS and loaded it with newer music since I haven't used it in several years..

Im sure Pandora will work via the 3.5jack In the cubby ..
    I'm skipping the usb and just getting a Bluetooth transmitter and use my iphone with IHeart radio app.. This way I can mount my phone on the bars and use navigation when needed and it should all come through speakers ..

That ipod sounded so good...I'll see how much I want to spend then decide. I'll still wait to see if pandora can work there though. No rush at this stage of the year.

I use both, trying to figure out how to use both on a USB docking toggle now that would be cool. I don't notice any difference. My ipod has been in the left cubby since April 2014. I have had to reset it about half a dozen times but that's not much. My Ipod has 160 GB. My USB flash drive has 16GB. Sure the Ipod has plenty of corny songs on it, but I like to listen to different things at different times, Dean Martin, Irish Instrumental, Jazz, 70s Rock, Motown. The Ipod can hold over 30k songs! The USB is more focused to mostly Rock music. Get down the rode if you don't like the music change to FM. Each has its advantages as a USB flash drive cost about $10 bucks. You can't even buy a Ipod anymore. I'm sure one day my Ipod will crap out, by then 100 gb flash drives will be common and $10 a piece too!

I listen to Pandora or Itunes radio via bluetooth receiver connected to earphone jack in left cubby and powered by cig. lighter jack.
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

Quote Originally Posted by Fla_rider View Post
    I use both, trying to figure out how to use both on a USB docking toggle now that would be cool. I don't notice any difference. My ipod has been in the left cubby since April 2014. I have had to reset it about half a dozen times but that's not much. My Ipod has 160 GB. My USB flash drive has 16GB. Sure the Ipod has plenty of corny songs on it, but I like to listen to different things at different times, Dean Martin, Irish Instrumental, Jazz, 70s Rock, Motown. The Ipod can hold over 30k songs! The USB is more focused to mostly Rock music. Get down the rode if you don't like the music change to FM. Each has its advantages as a USB flash drive cost about $10 bucks. You can't even buy a Ipod anymore. I'm sure one day my Ipod will crap out, by then 100 gb flash drives will be common and $10 a piece too!

I listen to Pandora or Itunes radio via bluetooth receiver connected to earphone jack in left cubby and powered by cig. lighter jack.
    I have now tried both and have stayed with my Ipod. Easy to download music on for me and has lots of space. If I am walking around somewhere and want to I can pull it out and throw on some headphones. I have several different play list on it. The largest has 305 songs and then I have 4 more with smaller amounts of specialized songs for my mood. I have not reset mine in six months except when I remove it and put it back. I thought being plugged in all the time would ruin the battery but it hasn't yet. I can still hook it to my headphone like I did on a recent Amtrak trip (can't stand flying) and the battery lasted like normal. The best part is I didn't have to buy it. I had 3 sons and a step son and when one of the moved up I inherited it.

I'm back. I bought a SanDisk Cruzer Glide 64GB flash drive over the weekend. First time I d/l music, after two hours of frustration, I went to the bike and got "no song". Pissed, I came home, and found that it was in folders. Not knowing what I'm doing, I deleted it all, finally figured how to d/l each cd into it, (about 150 something songs) and brought it to work. It played in my pc there. Happy, after work, go to the bike, plug it in and get " check usb ". Here I am, searching usb's and wondering what's wrong. Maybe it's the mpeg3/4 thing? It's not going to take too long for me to just go and get an ipod nano. I know that works, as my friend plugged his in. I have about 14 hours of music in the thing and it's at less than 2% capacity. I'll see if I can get some advice here, before I go shopping tomorrow.

It's in MPEG-4 audio...I don't think that's compatible. Any advice how to change that?

I'm back. I bought a SanDisk Cruzer Glide 64GB flash drive over the weekend. First time I d/l music, after two hours of frustration, I went to the bike and got "no song". Pissed, I came home, and found that it was in folders. Not knowing what I'm doing, I deleted it all, finally figured how to d/l each cd into it, (about 150 something songs) and brought it to work. It played in my pc there. Happy, after work, go to the bike, plug it in and get " check usb ". Here I am, searching usb's and wondering what's wrong. Maybe it's the mpeg3/4 thing? It's not going to take too long for me to just go and get an ipod nano. I know that works, as my friend plugged his in. I have about 14 hours of music in the thing and it's at less than 2% capacity. I'll see if I can get some advice here, before I go shopping tomorrow.
    It's in MPEG-4 audio...I don't think that's compatible. Any advice how to change that?
    A USB thumb drive is the way to go, it's just a lil' fussy about the directory structure.
    Check out this page: http://wingstuff.k7tty.com
    I downloaded and installed the application, it creates a flawless directory structure every time.

*NOTE* - it is a paid app, but you can use it in demo mode with limited functionality, I think it only copies a few files from each album... I just went back later and manually copied the remaining songs from each album... I ended up just purchasing it.
    You can do quite a few thumb drives for the cost of an iPod, plus you don't need to worry about battery failure on a thumb drive.
    Remember, you need to have all of you songs the same format for optimal results.
    Now, I have a few dozen thumb drives, just depends on what mood I'm in.

Thanks for trying to help an idiot, but I'm a little more confused now. I also already own a 5s iPhone. I might just try that in the usb port. I bought a cable already too...wasting all kinds of money and no music yet. I don't do phone calls while I ride anyway and my music is in it, same as the flash drive. A blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while...something is gonna work.