For you guys that went to Daytona last week
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For you guys that went to Daytona last week

For you guys that went to Daytona last week

One thing struck me as different this year from the other 2 years I have been there. After you get past the 4.68 billion noisey chromed out Harleys that were there, what was the second most popular motorcycle manufacturer? Brand name, that is. I was a bit suprised. I know what stood out to me, but I am curious if others noticed it too?
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I saw alot of victory's and alot of Polaris slingshots. Indian was represented well. I was disappointed in general, These rally's don't seem to have the appeal they once did when I owned a Harley.

Quote Originally Posted by Spankyrir View Post
    I saw alot of victory's and alot of Polaris slingshots. Indian was represented well. I was disappointed in general, These rally's don't seem to have the appeal they once did when I owned a Harley.
    BINGO!!!!! And on the very first response. Two years ago I rode my Kingpin all around Daytona and there was just a handful of Victorys and Indian had not started production yet. My Vic got a lot of attention at the time. Last year was not much different. But this year they were all over the place--and Indian, too. I was talking to one of the engineers at the Indian tent and he said they simply could not build enough Scouts and they are just now catching up with the other Cheif models.

This year it was nice owning a bike that the vendors actually had stuff for. I agree with you Spanky--it is starting to be the same thing over and over. Not even going to Myrtle Beach this year.

Daytona is for H.D.'s.... even Sunshine Mall was closed!!!! Only hope is at the track/demo rides and the like....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Daytona is for H.D.'s.... even Sunshine Mall was closed!!!! Only hope is at the track/demo rides and the like....
    You are correct. Did get a great deal on a Bell Drifter (another helmet to add to my collection) at JP and spent $95 on an intercom system that is useless. Other than the show special on the Sun Shade the demo rides were it--and looking around. The Scout is about the fastest thing my fanny has been on in a while--if I were 30 years younger and 80 lbs lighter it would be a consideration. Also rode the Dark Horse. Went to the Moto Guzzi tent 3 times tring for a ride before I gave up and did not even try the 2 hour wait at the Yamaha tent.

Then I waited for 2 hours in the heat and traffic to cruise Main Street in the wife's MX5 convertible only to find it closed to everything but bikes. The highpoint was fish and chips and Guiness at the Black Sheep. Sure beats going to work.

One thing I saw on the news in Daytona on Wed. morning was about bike sales (mainly related to HD). The guy that sells bike on the corner of Main and Beach Street said he brought 70 bikes to Daytona and had already sold 60 by Tuesday. He was scrambling to find more to get him through the weekend. He said on a scale from 1-10, sales was 29. said it was due to the improved economy. I must have missed the huge economic improvement.

Saw this on the news...

43 arrested during Bike Week sex sting in Volusia County

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...316-story.html

Quote Originally Posted by typhoon186 View Post
    One thing I saw on the news in Daytona on Wed. morning was about bike sales (mainly related to HD). The guy that sells bike on the corner of Main and Beach Street said he brought 70 bikes to Daytona and had already sold 60 by Tuesday. He was scrambling to find more to get him through the weekend. He said on a scale from 1-10, sales was 29. said it was due to the improved economy. I must have missed the huge economic improvement.
    Most of them will probably get repo'd this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post
    Saw this on the news...

43 arrested during Bike Week sex sting in Volusia County

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...316-story.html

I've seen the undercover decoys walking Main Street a few times and was even approached by them. It was so obvious. It should be entrapment! you take 400,000 bikers, and 20,000 gallons of beer then dangle a hot taco in front of them. Somebody's going to want to buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by typhoon186 View Post
    I've seen the undercover decoys walking Main Street a few times and was even approached by them. It was so obvious. It should be entrapment! you take 400,000 bikers, and 20,000 gallons of beer then dangle a hot taco in front of them. Somebody's going to want to buy one.