Defective heated grips
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defective heated grips

Defective heated grips

I have a defective set of heated grips, the dealer ordered new ones for me.
    My question is I have installed Kury grips, should I remove them before
    I go to have them fixed?
    shortleg

Quote Originally Posted by shortleg0521 View Post
    I have a defective set of heated grips, the dealer ordered new ones for me.
    My question is I have installed Kury grips, should I remove them before
    I go to have them fixed?
    shortleg
    I'm not clear on what you're asking. It sounds like you already removed the stock heated grips and installed Kury grips and now, you want the dealer to install new heated grips. Is that right? And now you're wondering if you should remove the Kury grips so the dealer won't have to do that . BTW, for anyone thinking about removing stock heated grips...it's pretty easy to damage the heating elements and great care has to be given to that process. Twisting them to get them off is a definite no-no
    Ken (Hornblower)

The Kury grips install clam-shell style over the heated the grips. There's no removal of the stock grips, just the end weights. I believe he's just asking if he should remove the kury shells before taking to dealer. IMO I would, just so I could reinstall the Kury's myself. I know when I did them, it was a pain to get them how I liked them. So much so, I stripped the hex heads of several of those tiny screws...I gotta learn to not over-tighten....

Thanks, Elroy, for clearing that up. Makes sense now
    Ken (Hornblower)

YES.... Remove them......less for the dealer to complain about and stop them from looking for a cause !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    YES.... Remove them......less for the dealer to complain about and stop them from looking for a cause !!!
    I have tested them and found that the left grip has 0 ohms, so open should be 2ohms
    I then tested for 12volts at the green/white wire and didnot get any.
    Right side grip has 2 ohms so that one should be good.
    All that being said should I tell them all I know or will I come off looking
    like a smart ass
    shortleg

depends on your dealer tech. some will check the basics. Others are parts changers and will have no idea what you are talking about.

Personally I think you have a good enough handle on it I would repair it myself rather than let any dealer touch mine....

To the OP..............

I know if my heated grips were being replaced (you said "set" RIGHT?) I'd make sure they left enough room on the throttle tube to be able to install some kind of throttle lock even if you have electronic cruise. It's so much easier to just "bump" a throttle lock for a moments right hand adjustment of something than to set a cruise and wait for it to take over or if you are below speed and it's ability to operate.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by jkelley View Post
    depends on your dealer tech. some will check the basics. Others are parts changers and will have no idea what you are talking about.

Personally I think you have a good enough handle on it I would repair it myself rather than let any dealer touch mine....
    I am going to assume the F6B engine & front cowl is identical to the 2012 regular Wing and all other generation 2 Wings. I noticed a Gen 2 bike having a defective heated grip replaced at my local dealership. It is no longer an easy job like the gen 1 bikes. The Gen 1 bikes had the plug from the grips located outside the bikes radiator. The Gen 2 bikes have the grip connectors between between the radiator and the engine . That means the side plastic and radiator need to be removed to replace the grip assembly and cord .
    Very expensive to replace labor wise.
    I do not let a dealer touch my bike but if under warranty I would make an exception. I don't think warranty work is paid for by mother Honda unless a dealer does the repair.
    You might want to check the repair manual for the F6B and hope the connector is different than that of the regular Wing.
    I read somewhere that some with no warranty left were cutting the cords a few inches from the grips and splicing the wires rather than removing plastic and a radiator.
    Mother Honda, what were you thinking about
    2012 Level 3 Wing looking for an FB6 to keep it company

As far as I know the F6 engine and front cowl are identical to the GW, with the exception of small styling differences... like the 2-port-holes versus 3-port-holes on the side of both radiators.