first serious ride
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first serious ride

first serious ride

Finally got a chance to get some serious riding, two up, today. Coming off a 98 Valky and I have two VFR's in the garage next to the 6. The 6 is just a big VFR with less cornering clearance. Rear brake is a little touchy, It's the linked brakes, comes on a little too hard in the front when trailing the rear brake to scrub off just a little speed into the corner. I am a fan of the linked brakes, on my Veefers the link is invisible. You can use the rear to scrub speed without ever feeling it in the front, it just slows down, no squat, no stand up or fall in. I'm a sport biker at heart, riding for 35 yrs, several track days, and I've done a couple of track schools, so i do know my way around a corner, and understand the mechanics of braking and good lines. I'm sure I'll adjust to the 6's needs.

She's a big girl for sure but the 6 is so easy to tip into a corner and we all know the RED ones are rocket ships coming out of the corner. Love being able to just ride the wave of torque and hardly ever having to shift. Can't wait to get to the mountains.

shooter
    You ever see that whisp of white smoke coming out of the back of a jet? That's what the black ones look like coming out of the corner. Congrats

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    You ever see that whisp of white smoke coming out of the back of a jet? That's what the black ones look like coming out of the corner. Congrats

Yea what he said....con trails....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Yeah the black ones are the whisp of smoke and the red ones are the jets. Yeah that's right, you just got smoked.

I can't say I'm a fan of the linked brakes 100% of the time either; with the right application of the rear brakes, my fronts will grab in a way that gets my attention, with a bit of vibration. Need to see if there's any adjustments in the system...

8 - I've been all over those systems on the VFRs, its a long story, there really isn't any kind of adjustment for what we are talking about. I've ridden most all of the hondas with the linked brakes. The fourth generation linked brakes which is on the VFRs, (98-01) and the last generation of Blackbirds (CBR 1100 XX) was the best. The most balanced and the least noticable. It feels to me like the delay that is built into the system that delays the application of the fronts is too long, and the propertioning valve that modulates the preasure comes on too hard. I think I read somewhere that the rear brake pedal will not activate the front calipers at parking lot speeds, to keep the front from locking in while making slow turns in bad traction situations. I've never had that problem on the VFRs. But maybe that is where the issue comes from. All that being said, and really I'm no expert, "It is what it is." I'll just adjust to the new system.
    The 6 is a remarkable scoot and save for this one issue, for which the solution is just an adjustment to my style, I really love the way this thing handles. And for all you guys out there shaking your heads now, Yes, I know it's not a crotch rocket, but I sure am going to have fun surprising the hell out of some Rossi posers on as they see that big ol red rocket leaving them in the twisties.

Quote Originally Posted by sabre85 View Post
    8 - I've been all over those systems on the VFRs, its a long story, there really isn't any kind of adjustment for what we are talking about. I've ridden most all of the hondas with the linked brakes. The fourth generation linked brakes which is on the VFRs, (98-01) and the last generation of Blackbirds (CBR 1100 XX) was the best. The most balanced and the least noticable. It feels to me like the delay that is built into the system that delays the application of the fronts is too long, and the propertioning valve that modulates the preasure comes on too hard. I think I read somewhere that the rear brake pedal will not activate the front calipers at parking lot speeds, to keep the front from locking in while making slow turns in bad traction situations. I've never had that problem on the VFRs. But maybe that is where the issue comes from. All that being said, and really I'm no expert, "It is what it is." I'll just adjust to the new system.
    The 6 is a remarkable scoot and save for this one issue, for which the solution is just an adjustment to my style, I really love the way this thing handles. And for all you guys out there shaking your heads now, Yes, I know it's not a crotch rocket, but I sure am going to have fun surprising the hell out of some Rossi posers on as they see that big ol red rocket leaving them in the twisties.
    Yep, my first real hard riding through the mountains had me smiling ear to ear . No doubt, the big girl can dance. I still have my Valkyrie, and for what it is, I always considered it a great handling machine. However my Valk feels like driving a truck compared to my F6B.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    Yep, my first real hard riding through the mountains had me smiling ear to ear . No doubt, the big girl can dance. I still have my Valkyrie, and for what it is, I always considered it a great handling machine. However my Valk feels like driving a truck compared to my F6B.
    +1. Loved my Valk. Used her for many Rider Courses, as student but primarily as a coach for the BRC2 (ERC).
    No problems making her do the "box" and the "peanut." She never got to see the ARC though.
    The 6 is dream in the box and too much fun in the peanut. We're going to take the ARC this year.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Yeah, Yeah we've heard it before, boys. You can't have the smoke without the Fire!
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Steve got worked up on that one. He's speaking in tongues.