What do you think of this route?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of this route?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What do you think of this route?

Attachment 12697

I have about 10 days in June. It's about 3600 miles. I have ridden up to 900 miles a day in the past. I enjoy highway riding. My plan is two days to Albuquerque, then south into Texas and slower heading back to Toledo, Ohio.

What I am looking for is thoughts on the weather as far as temperatures through mountain areas. Road conditions. Dangerous areas.
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

Looks boring, you missed Arizona!

Quote Originally Posted by zeus661 View Post
    Attachment 12697

I have about 10 days in June. It's about 3600 miles. I have ridden up to 900 miles a day in the past. I enjoy highway riding. My plan is two days to Albuquerque, then south into Texas and slower heading back to Toledo, Ohio.

What I am looking for is thoughts on the weather as far as temperatures through mountain areas. Road conditions. Dangerous areas.
    The only fortune teller will be able to predict any weather 2 - 3 months prior to your trip . Mountain's temps will always vary , mostly to its elevations and time of the day . Usually , the only congested traffic, or road repairs contribute to the possible riding conditions , so it also can be unknown . I'm afraid , that after sitting on the saddle all day long , you will have little experience from that trip , with the exception of getting to the next hotel/motel , where you can rest. Highway riding is boring and provide limited impressions . Plan "b" can include some spectacular views and discoveries of the off-roads attractions , which you can draw after little studies , or simple searches . Without trying to change your plans , I wish you to enjoy your vacations and after return , please send us some pictures . America is a beautiful country anyway .

That stretch from El Paso to Dallas may be an eye opener, I-20 I believe that is. Lots of HUGE frost heaves in the road with potential to flip you over the top of the handlebars. A few shady gas stations manned by illegals with water service that has long been shut off; the bathrooms are nothing but holes in the ground.

I think June will still be cool at the higher elevations in NM, so plan on dressing warm in the AM. And the east, oy vey, the east has been sh*t kicked this year for crappy weather as you know. I hope it warms up for you. Don't forget the B has a weather radio so try it out now, learn how to use it if you haven't used it before.

Any time in the saddle is fun but Limoles nailed it. You might as well be doing a bun burner if you have to ride 900 miles a day, but I understand one only has so much time.

Otherwise, jealous to all of you that can take time away from the "office" to ride. My "office" keeps calling me back.

zeus, you need to get on the F6 phone list, so you'll have some contact numbers along the way. I'm on there and if you give me a call when coming into OKC I'll treat you to one of our hidden & secret dining extravaganzas, or my "special" breakfast place.

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    zeus, you need to get on the F6 phone list, so you'll have some contact numbers along the way. I'm on there and if you give me a call when coming into OKC I'll treat you to one of our hidden & secret dining extravaganzas, or my "special" breakfast place.
    What about me ? I'm on the list already , so don't forget to call me for any special extravaganzas

Quote Originally Posted by Limoles View Post
    What about me ? I'm on the list already , so don't forget to call me for any special extravaganzas
    All ya gotta do is bring your appetite to OKC!

Quote Originally Posted by zeus661 View Post
    Attachment 12697

Let me chime in one more time with a more serious comment. If it is miles and bragging rights you are looking for, then there are already a ton of suggestions and comments. If it is a round trip to visit somebody, then I understand. When I was on the Victory boards there was a rider named "Rollin" and he lived for stuff like that. On one ride he posted a picture of his GPS and he averaged 80 MPH over a 16 hour period if I remember correctly.

I have a buddy with a Versys and we do 2 or 3 4 day trips and we try for a week long once a year. Some days we do 500 miles and some days only 2 or 300. We pick a direction and not a highway. About 3 PM or so we start looking for a place to bed down for the night. Folks at the motels and restrauants are always willing to share local attractions or points of interest when they see a visitor. One year we stumbled upon the radio telescope in West Va as well as the windmill farms in NW Maryland and other neat stuff. Many of our destinations revolve around the weather for the next day. Riding in bad weather is no fun and when the fun ain't fun, then it ain't fun anymore. Nothing quite like getting caught on your bike on I-40 West in a hailstorm so bad that traffic is at a standstill.

Anyway--just the thoughts of a crazy old man that has his 3 trips for the year already planned out. Have fun and send us a postcard.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]