F6B Dark Side Riders

Thread: F6B Dark Side Riders

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tire Choice

Quote Originally Posted by Freak View Post
    Put 70,000 miles on car tires on my 2008 wing and once the rear is done on the f6 I will be installing a car tire.
    What was your favorite tire? What kind of mileage were you getting per tire?

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    What was your favorite tire? What kind of mileage were you getting per tire?
    I liked the kumho run flat the best. Tried the falken non runflat did not like it.
    I got between 15000 and 17000
    Most of my riding is aggressive back road riding. , edges wear out
    I like the feel of the runflat the best.
    I have 7000 miles on my motorcycle tire now and it's pretty much junk.
    2013 honda F6B
    2010 honda VFR
    2013 honda CB500X

Kumho Ecsta SPT XRP 195/55R16 is 25 lbs
    General Altimax HP 195/55R16 is 18 lbs. This is what I am running.

I also tried a Pirelli euforia runflat and liked that as well.
    2013 honda F6B
    2010 honda VFR
    2013 honda CB500X

Yesterday, I added my name to the Darksider's roster. I am officially Darkside #1506. This isn't my first foray into running a CT on the rear. My Triumph Rocket III had one and I remembered liking it a lot. I had forgotten, however, exactly what it felt like. Ah, it all comes back to me now...the feel is definitely different from a MT. I guess I would describe the difference as being more "intentional". The bike will travel in a straight line unless I "intentionally" turn it. To me, this doesn't correspond to "manhandling" but there is a noticeable input required to turn. Personally, I don't find this objectionable but rather, it's something to acclimate to. After a short time, it all feels normal again. Oh yeah, and thanks DeerSlayer for your help in putting this one on. The Kumho RF is a bit on the heavy side and it sure was nice to have some help.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Yesterday, I added my name to the Darksider's roster. I am officially Darkside #1506.
    So Murgie has handed out over 1,000 numbers since I got mine - 487. Welcome to the Darkside.

There's a lot out there that are riding that have never gotten a number. I've run 2 Kumho's and am now on the Michelin Alpin. I consider my first Kumho for saving my butt and my wife. We took on a 1/4 x 3" lag bolt. Riding 2 up the tire didn't even feel like it was flat. I pulled the bolt, plugged it and ran another 7K miles before I replaced it. My second one had 18K on it.

The Michelin that I am on now, got transferred from my old Wing with 4500 miles on it. I now have 13,500 on my new Wing, so that's 18K on that tire and it looks like it has better than half tread. This one is wearing well and I will probably run another one when the time comes.

I will probably put a Michelin on my wife's F6 when the time comes to replace her's next spring.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Always try to positively influence a negative situation. ~author unknown

Mine: '13 Gray Metallic
    The wife's: '13 F6B Black
    (Double) Darksider #487
    Michelin Alpin (current)
    Battle Axe BT45
    Proud to be a FREE American and I thank the Vets that did it for me!!!

'08 Titanium Wing
    '79 Yamaha 750 Special
    '78 Honda 750, '72 Honda 350, '73 Suzuki 250, '75 Suzuki 185, '72 Suzuki 90

Once again, I think the hydroplaning issue isn't an issue. Trikes have two car tires on the back and Can-Am's have three car tires. Any bike, car or truck can hydroplane if there's enough standing water on the road. Speed must be adjusted for the conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by bstroh59 View Post
    So Murgie has handed out over 1,000 numbers since I got mine - 487. Welcome to the Darkside.
    There's a lot out there that are riding that have never gotten a number. I've run 2 Kumho's and am now on the Michelin Alpin.
    Thanks, bstroh59! You're right, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the total number of DS riders is easily double the number on the roster.

The Michelin Alpin is the other tire I seriously considered before I ordered the Kumho. Since you've run both, how would you compare the two? I assume, since you mentioned you would buy the Alpin again, that you prefer that tire. How about a quick comparison? Also, what air pressure are you running? Thanks!