F6B Dark Side Riders - Page 3
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: F6B Dark Side Riders

Put 70,000 miles on car tires on my 2008 wing and once the rear is done on the f6 I will be installing a car tire.
    2013 honda F6B
    2010 honda VFR
    2013 honda CB500X

Tire Choice

Quote Originally Posted by Freak View Post
    Put 70,000 miles on car tires on my 2008 wing and once the rear is done on the f6 I will be installing a car tire.
    What was your favorite tire? What kind of mileage were you getting per tire?

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post
    It's not a right or wrong issue, it's a choice. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside that we have a choice to do things that buck the norm. Isn't FREEDOM awesome?
    If it makes ya smile, it can't be ALL bad!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    What was your favorite tire? What kind of mileage were you getting per tire?
    I liked the kumho run flat the best. Tried the falken non runflat did not like it.
    I got between 15000 and 17000
    Most of my riding is aggressive back road riding. , edges wear out
    I like the feel of the runflat the best.
    I have 7000 miles on my motorcycle tire now and it's pretty much junk.
    2013 honda F6B
    2010 honda VFR
    2013 honda CB500X

Kumho Ecsta SPT XRP 195/55R16 is 25 lbs
    General Altimax HP 195/55R16 is 18 lbs. This is what I am running.

I also tried a Pirelli euforia runflat and liked that as well.
    2013 honda F6B
    2010 honda VFR
    2013 honda CB500X

Yesterday, I added my name to the Darksider's roster. I am officially Darkside #1506. This isn't my first foray into running a CT on the rear. My Triumph Rocket III had one and I remembered liking it a lot. I had forgotten, however, exactly what it felt like. Ah, it all comes back to me now...the feel is definitely different from a MT. I guess I would describe the difference as being more "intentional". The bike will travel in a straight line unless I "intentionally" turn it. To me, this doesn't correspond to "manhandling" but there is a noticeable input required to turn. Personally, I don't find this objectionable but rather, it's something to acclimate to. After a short time, it all feels normal again. Oh yeah, and thanks DeerSlayer for your help in putting this one on. The Kumho RF is a bit on the heavy side and it sure was nice to have some help.

I offer you a simple challenge to prove that the contact patch is much larger on a car tire than it is a M/C. If you can find someone who has a C/T on their bike, then it is easy to make a foot print of the tire. Here's an easy method.

1st cut about a dozen strips of paper about 4 inches long and an inch wide. With the bike on the side stand, slip the pieces of paper under the tire as if they were a feeler gauge, place them side by side, in a fan pattern around the contact patch. Once you have them in place, just tape them all together. Roll the bike away and now you have a view of the size of the contact patch. Repeat the same process with a like model motorcycle with a M/C tire and you will be able to compare the difference. Be prepared to be shocked! the C/T patch is 2 or 3 times bigger! Not to mention when the bike is straight up, the patch is 10 times bigger. You have the whole width of the C/T on the ground and with the bike tire, you have a 50 cent sized patch on the road. Ask yourself, which one will stop the quickest? Not to mention, there is a taller sidewall on the car tire which equates to a little more sidewall flex that produces a softer ride, I can go on and on but that is several reasons why I like them. Better dry and wet grip, longer tire life, smoother ride, shorter stopping distance, and cheaper.

Welcome 1506 Hornblower. Glad to help ya.. Enjoy. I am now on my third Gl1800 with a Mean Ass Motorcycle Tire (Car Tire) and over 80 K on them.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    I offer you a simple challenge to prove that the contact patch is much larger on a car tire than it is a M/C. .
    Easier still to just ride through a very shallow puddle and compare the tracks, both straight line and cornering.

Even so, the contact patch on my MT does everything I need it to do.

I'm tickled, you're tickled, we're all tickled!!