F6B Dark Side Riders - Page 8
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: F6B Dark Side Riders

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Scott, those plans are already in the hopper.

We knew you were up to the challenge!

I have two questions for you:

# 1...can't you simply set the TPMS to the specific pressure you want the tire to be set for, and have it read from that? If you want the tire to be set at 35psi, can't you set the TPMS to 35psi for the rear tire ?

# 2...are you running the BT45 on the front wheel, in a forward mounted direction, or a reverse mounted direction? What kind of mileage are you getting out of the 'stone BT45 mounted on the front wheel? Yes, I do know the BT45 is a rear tire, but I also know that alot of Darksiders like to run the BT45 on the front wheel. Forward or backward mounted ?
    Miles...........
    1. Somebody else answered this, so I won't repeat what he said. It's the pits that you can't program it, but one more thing mother Honda could easily improve.

2. The BT45 on my old Wing had 32,800 on it when I traded and it looked better then my Stone on the new '13 at 12K. I've got 14K+ on it now, and I won't go any distance next spring until I get it swapped. Will definitely go with the Battle ax again. I had the BT45 mounted forward (normal direction) and got along great. I know some have gone backwards for the "torque" in braking, but I was concerned about riding in rain with it backwards.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Always try to positively influence a negative situation. ~author unknown

Mine: '13 Gray Metallic
    The wife's: '13 F6B Black
    (Double) Darksider #487
    Michelin Alpin (current)
    Battle Axe BT45
    Proud to be a FREE American and I thank the Vets that did it for me!!!

'08 Titanium Wing
    '79 Yamaha 750 Special
    '78 Honda 750, '72 Honda 350, '73 Suzuki 250, '75 Suzuki 185, '72 Suzuki 90

This is my very first CT, and I have Bob109 to blame for it all.

The fact is, I decided to OPEN my mind, and give it a try. I am hopeful it will all work just fine. I have other wheels with new tires sitting in my shop, so...I can always go back to the Lightside, but....I hope this works.
    Welcome to the Darkside, and I bet some cookies that you won't go back!

BTW.... love the lift in the shop. OK, I'd take the shop too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Double) Darksider #487
    Michelin Alpin (current)
    Battle Axe BT45

'08 Titanium Wing
    '79 Yamaha 750 Special

Quote Originally Posted by bstroh59 View Post
    Miles...........
    I've got 14K+ on it now, and I won't go any distance next spring until I get it swapped.

Thanks for the info on the BT45, and mounting it forward.

Why is it that your front tire on your F6B is worn out at 14K miles ?????? What pressure have you been running in it ??????

Thanks for the info on the BT45, and mounting it forward.

Why is it that your front tire on your F6B is worn out at 14K miles ?????? What pressure have you been running in it ??????
    The 14K is on my Wing. Been running 38#. The edges are starting to cup (even with the dyna beads) and the center is down to the wear bars. I'll run it for a while, but won't take off on a long trip. Once it get's down that far, I'm just concerned about getting caught in the rain on a trip. This is still better then the Dunlap on my first Wing, since I swapped it at 9K.

My wife has about 12K on her F6B, and it's looking about the same as mine did a few K back. So I'm guessing she'll be in the same boat at 14K. No long trips when she get's to that point without making the switch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Double) Darksider #487
    Michelin Alpin (current)
    Battle Axe BT45

'08 Titanium Wing
    '79 Yamaha 750 Special

Quote Originally Posted by bstroh59 View Post
    The 14K is on my Wing. Been running 38#. The edges are starting to cup (even with the dyna beads) and the center is down to the wear bars. I'll run it for a while, but won't take off on a long trip. Once it get's down that far, I'm just concerned about getting caught in the rain on a trip. This is still better then the Dunlap on my first Wing, since I swapped it at 9K.

My wife has about 12K on her F6B, and it's looking about the same as mine did a few K back. So I'm guessing she'll be in the same boat at 14K. No long trips when she get's to that point without making the switch.

Please take this as being meant as politely informing you that your front tires are UNDER-Inflated. I know what Honda "says" to run the front tire at, and Honda is WRONG. There is no other word for thast...other than...WRONG. When you start with a NEW tire on the front, set it at 40 psi, and keep it at 40 psi, and you will have longer tread life, no scalloping, and probably get close to or more than 20K miles out of it.

My very first GL-1800, with new Dunlop D205 Radials, I got 19,500 out of the front tire. I have had many front tires that were far less in mileage, BUT...it was because I was product testing for some manufacturers, and they required X number of miles in Y number of days. That eats up tires. I was the guy that did the testing for Dunlop for the E-3 radials, for the GL-1800, and went through 10 sets of tires in one year. I can tell you that the end result of all that testing was that "we" decided that 40 psi on the front tire is the best, and correct pressure for proper tire wear, and longer life.

Now, it is your bike, and your wife's bike...so you do what you want to with them. It is your decision, and your right to run whatever pressure you want to in the tires. But whenever I see riders that have negative comments about tire life or wear, the end result is that 93.14159 % of those riders are riding with under-inflated tires.

The proof is undeniable. I can send you pictures of my front tire at 20,270 miles, which was only taken off because the wheels are being powder-coated, and because Bridgestone wants my old tires. I even know of a local Honda dealer that rides an F6B himself, that recently acknowledged to me that while he "has" been running 38 psi in the front tire, he is going to raise it to 40 psi on the next new tire, because of adverse wear and low mileage.

It may take some time, but eventually the 93.14159%...will go with 40 psi in the front tire.

It may take some time, but eventually the 93.14159%...will go with 40 psi in the front tire.
    Well.... I'm always up for something new, so I'll give it a try on the next one......... which will be a BT45.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Double) Darksider #487
    Michelin Alpin (current)
    Battle Axe BT45

'08 Titanium Wing
    '79 Yamaha 750 Special

I don't know but it seems to me that the many Motorcycle Manufactures Put Specific types of tires on motorcycles for a reason. If I can't afford a Motorcycle tire then I don't need to be riding. This is just me. To each his own.......Dickie

Quote Originally Posted by dickiedeals View Post
    I don't know but it seems to me that the many Motorcycle Manufactures Put Specific types of tires on motorcycles for a reason......Dickie
    That's true but I think the bike and tire companies make deals for OEM use. I don't feel obligated to buy OEM tires for my car, so I don't feel obligated to buy OEM tires for my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post
    That's true but I think the bike and tire companies make deals for OEM use. I don't feel obligated to buy OEM tires for my car, so I don't feel obligated to buy OEM tires for my bike.
    That being said. Perhaps we should try tractor tires, airplane tires, etc. etc. etc. Lol . Like I said, " To each his own." I'll continue to run the stock MC tires for the next 20,000 miles or so since I have an extra rear wheel and tire from fleabay..Dickie