Which GPS? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Which GPS?

This thread is like from a year ago!
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

I think ChopTop just wanted to post his question in a thread where a discussion was already happening

What srt8-in-largo said, didn't want to start another thread and someone always answers your question , no matter how old the thread is.

[QUOTE=srt8-in-largo;70253]I *think* the Zumo 550 is a good performer. Be sure to check online reviews.

I used my Garmin Oregon for a while but could no longer deal with the small screen. Jumped up to the Zumo 590LM and couldn't be happier... but yeah, the price was a bitter pill.[/QUOTE

I read good things about the 590, a lot of neat gadgetry, don't know if I need it but I want it. We will see.

GPS Mount - Front & Center

Quote Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
    Looking to mount a GPS on my F6B. Tried to do a search to see what has been done but the search engine is fighting with me tonight.

Let me see what you guys have done.
    Here's my solution. Couldn't find a dash mount so I made one myself. Using a Garmin 1450, one of the brighter screens. The mount worked out so well I made a bunch more. Mounts under the dash, no holes, no screws. Secured by 3M heavy duty emblem tape. 5,000 miles and no problems at all. If anyone is interested, I have them for sale in two sizes. 65mm mount for regular Garmin suction cup mounts, and 80 mm for some of the larger Tom Tom mounts. Includes a teather for your GPS so if the suction cup lets loose you don't lose the TPS. Here's a couple of pics.

IMG_0613.jpgIMG_0612.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Travelor View Post
    Here's my solution. Couldn't find a dash mount so I made one myself. Using a Garmin 1450, one of the brighter screens. The mount worked out so well I made a bunch more. Mounts under the dash, no holes, no screws. Secured by 3M heavy duty emblem tape. 5,000 miles and no problems at all. If anyone is interested, I have them for sale in two sizes. 65mm mount for regular Garmin suction cup mounts, and 80 mm for some of the larger Tom Tom mounts. Includes a teather for your GPS so if the suction cup lets loose you don't lose the TPS. Here's a couple of pics.

Attachment 13482Attachment 13483
    Your ingenuity is highly appreciated and worth to follow . Thank you for heads up

Garmin 550

Chop top
    I use the 550 (2cd glove box,ram mount) I've had it a while and the only downside is as the new map updates come along, it takes more of the memory...thus less music can be loaded...so I've just hooked up an iPod in the trunk.

Ok that's fine I'll add my two cents then. Zumo is great, except for the price. Now we are talking mounting. All GPS's have suction cups and a flat puck. At first, I put the flat puck in front of my tach. This would block the tach but no biggy. The real issue is the lower you mount a screen device the higher you have to angle it to see it. When it is angled towards the sun the less you can see even with sun shade on it. My second choice which I'm sticking to for now is just above my vent on my clearview windscreen. This puts it at almost eye level and reflection from the sun is minimized. Yes I do use a sun shade device on the top of the gps. In this positon it is unlikely to get wet and being out of the wind I can hear it fine. Again the higher the mount the better the view!

So many Gps's out there under $100. Just realize mine doesn't do routes, so sometime in the future I'm going to have to spill the beans for a new one. Just got this one Nuvi 52, large screen and lane assist sure do make a difference. Of course power out of the left cubby.
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt