Potential F6B Purchase, Instrument cluster features??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potential F6B Purchase, Instrument cluster features??

Potential F6B Purchase, Instrument cluster features??

So the F6B really checks off most of the boxes that I'm looking for. I currently have an FJR which has quite a few features built into the instrument panel. I have tried to read the marketing info, but it doesnt explain the features the dashboard offers. Would someone be willing to tell me what features the Instrument cluster on the F6B Deluxe offer. I would really like to see at a minimum, outside air temp (Yup I know I'm sitting outside, but still like the outside temp). I live in Minnesota and it lets me know how hard I can push my tires in the corners, when it's colder and tires lose their grip, I take it much more easy. I would also like to know if the bike lets you know remaining fuel range. Those would be the two bigger features I am hoping for.

Other things that would be nice, would be, gear indicator, coolant temps, how many trip odometers.

I really appreciate the info. When I bought my FJR 2013 the F6b didn't have cruise, so that held me off on the purchase. Now that the bike has cruise, I think I need to get on the band wagon. Any other features you like if you are coming from an FJR would be welcome. I only ride solo, so if you tell me to stick with the FJR that's a fair response too. I usually put in 5-700 mile days and would like just a little more upright seating position. I rode a friends Goldwing, but really think the F6B is the better option for me.

Quick reply:

Yes, outside air temp. You press the "info" button while the bike is running and the ambient temp is displayed for about 5s. The temp is not on continuously, unfortunately.
    No digital gear indicator. The only dash lights are for N and OD (5th gear). You can install an aftermarket digital gear indicator. To see it in action, have a look at my accessory video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qMOh5D2dMs

2 trip odometers.
    Coolant temp is a needle gauge, no numbers.
    The FJR is more of a sport bike. The F6B can do it all. Test ride one.

I had ST1300 and the biggest think I miss is the adjustable windshield.
    You can't go wrong with the F6B, great bike.

My last bike was a 2011 FJR. I did like have the temp readout visible at all times, but I can deal with having to press a button to get the info. The gear indicator on the FJR was nice. I especially liked that it would show the correct gear even with the clutch lever in. The aftermarket gear indicator for the F6B only works when the clutch is out. I find that I don't miss the electric windshield as much as a thought I would. But, if I did, there are two aftermarket electric windshields to choose from. In spite of a few shortcomings compared to the FJR, I find the F6B to be far more enjoyable.
    blue 2015 F6B Deluxe - sold
    2022 Yamaha Ténéré 700 - coming soon

Outside air temp... yes. Not on the dash though; this is shown in the information display below the dash after pressing a button.

Fuel range... no. Some fuel range calculators in vehicles are actually pretty slick and estimates fuel use based on the fuel injector signal to get a read of how much fuel is being consumed; this with the odometer reading gives fuel economy. I'm sure BMW has such fancy technology but they also have a high maintenance rate for all the extraneous electronics on their bikes.

Gear indicator... no. Funny thing is that initially I wished a 6th gear was available but after putting 14,000 miles on the bike, I now feel like 5 gears are perfect; 5 gears are also more manageable when in stop and go traffic. An after market gear indicator is available.

Coolant temps... not really. There is an analog coolant temperature gauge; no numbers are present on the dial but it does serve to indicate when you are over heating and I'm fine with that.

Trip odometers... yes. Two are present and work well as fuel range indicators; when you're near 200 miles it's time for a fill up. Further, the fuel gauge on the bike is very linear and accurate and after a few tanks you'll learn how much further you can go on the remaining fuel. There's also a low-fuel indication light on the dash that comes on when you have about a gallon left, which is about 40 miles.

Other dash indicators are a neutral light, a high beam light, and turn signal lights... and that's about it; everything you need and nothing more

The neutral seating position is one of the reasons I considered the 6 too. My prior bike was a BMW K1200 which probably seats similarly to the FJR... just a tad too forward to be really comfortable.

Great info thanks guys. I will have to rent a 6 or wing to give it a try. I will also have to start working on saving my pennies, and sweeten the wife up. I think I will miss some of the functionality and fuel range of the FJR, but I am hoping that the comfort will be worth the change. Perhaps by next riding season I can either find a used 2015, or enjoy whatever new color they offer in 2016.

Good luck Arthur; whatever you do, enjoy the riding season!

Arthur, also be advised, the tripometers automatically reset when it reaches 1,000 miles. I wish it didn't when I'm on those long bike trips.

My last bike was a 2012 FJR. So it really depends on what type of rider you are now. If you enjoy more sport riding...then stick with the FJR. If you are more of a touring rider and go on motorcycle trips, then you'll be pleased with the comfort of the F6B.

Even though the F6B is 1800cc, it's horsepower is lower than the FJR due to its weight being over 900 pounds.

You should check Honda's website to see which dealers near you have demos available so you can test ride it.

Good luck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by VP8 View Post

Even though the F6B is 1800cc, it's horsepower is lower than the FJR due to its weight being over 900 pounds.
    Do you mean horsepower to weight ratio?
    If not, HP has nothing to do with weight.

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    Good luck Arthur; whatever you do, enjoy the riding season!
    In Houston that is January 1st to December 31st.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver