so.....is the paint better on 2015 models ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: so.....is the paint better on 2015 models ?

No problems whatsoever on my 2015 Matte Silver F6B. This is the first vehicle I've owned with matte paint, and it does take some getting used to not having to wax...

I think the only possible issues I may face are due to hard-water spotting on the gray paint. I wash my bikes frequently using car wash soap and lots of water, followed by diligent (but gentle) towel drying. I've only had my bike for a short time, but I really like the classy 2-tone charcoal gray/lighter gray look, and will do everything I can to keep it looking new for a long time.

when I wash mine (Rune) I use a leaf blower immediately after to blow out all the excess water from all the cracks and then I towel dry it...
    Chrome is like cleavage, You can never have too much...[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    I'd still like to know what, exactly, was wrong with paint on the 2013 and 2014 models. Mine is perfect.
    Did you have yours professionally painted prior to taking delivery?

I'd still like to know what, exactly, was wrong with paint on the 2013 and 2014 models. Mine is perfect.
    Good question as I have talked with several F6B owners from 13/14 models and with a good coat of polish/wax most have no big issues with the paint and do not see it as anything to "fret" about...Mine is custom painted, yes, but by my wife's choice of color, not Honda original paint problems if any....JMHO

I use "Rat Wax" on my matte paint. perfect for this finish

Quote Originally Posted by F6B1911 View Post
    Did you have yours professionally painted prior to taking delivery?
    No... I have factory paint. When new I buffed with Meguiars M205 using both an orange cutting pad and then a white finishing pad. Neither times did I see paint residue on the pad... and this is the only issue I'm aware of, people seeing paint residue on pads.

I kinda wonder now if a couple of people were just using the wrong product, which then turned into a myth that got repeated until everyone started believing it. There are many who have no idea about cutting strengths of the polish they're using... or which is the right pad to use.

No... I have factory paint. When new I buffed with Meguiars M205 using both an orange cutting pad and then a white finishing pad. Neither times did I see paint residue on the pad... and this is the only issue I'm aware of, people seeing paint residue on pads.

I kinda wonder now if a couple of people were just using the wrong product, which then turned into a myth that got repeated until everyone started believing it. There are many who have no idea about cutting strengths of the polish they're using... or which is the right pad to use.
    ++1...I tend to agree with your assessment of this issue...I kinda think it got "out-of-hand" and more opinions than facts....

Thanks for the sanity check Opas. I was starting to wonder if it was just me missing something.

Thanks for the sanity check Opas. I was starting to wonder if it was just me missing something.

Too funny, pages and pages of posts about shitty paint, and you 2 think it was imagined. Yep...
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    ++1...I tend to agree with your assessment of this issue...I kinda think it got "out-of-hand" and more opinions than facts....
    Why make a generalization based on your "Belief" and NOT experience. You have stated numerous times that you had YOUR bike painted with NEW paint and clear-coated before taking delivery. So why not start a thread on Unicorns.

Opas, I truly appreciate your contributions, however your paint comments are baseless simply from your statements of not having any experience with the factory paint. Try to not DISCREDIT those that have had actual issues.

I PERSONALLY saw the scratches and scuffs on Steve 0080's F6B in Daytona ... weeks after he had taken delivery. As someone had stated, there may have been a error with the amount of hardener or lack of that was added to the paint at the factory on the first units. You have to understand that the bikes were in production and being painted as early as July-August 2012. The first deliveries took place in mid to late February 2013. The first postings on this website and the first complaints that Honda Heard about the Paint softness was around March or April of 2013.

That means that Honda may have used the WRONG amount of hardener for 8-10 months. Once the complaints started coming in and they figured out the error ... the rest may have been painted with a properly mixed paint. They'll never admit to it because that would mean 1000's of Goldwings needing a re-paint.

At last years Rally I looked at several F6B's and I can tell you that my OLD 2005 Goldwing paint was in much better shape then most 2013-2014 F6B's.

I have had a similar discussion with another individual on another Forum in regards to the low speed deceleration wobble ... Since he has never experienced it, he thinks that those of us that have experienced the wobble are over reacting to something that isn't so. I have come to the conclusion that my head bearings need to be either replaced or tightened a little bit more. Some Goldwings had the proper head bearing torque and others didn't.

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.