Sudden USB failure - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sudden USB failure

Moderator / V-twin Gobbler GiddyupF6B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    Glad you got it fixed!

How do you mean folders and controls are better?

With a USB flash drive we can only have 255 songs in each folder... and there really isn't much control other than flipping song by song or folder by folder to find something.

Does the iPod do things better; more options on the bike controls to search for songs, etc?
    Oh yeah.....with the iPod you still use the same format as on the IPod itself. You can choose custom playlists, artists, albums, shuffle in random mode......lots of different menu options. I love the playlists, I have several depending on my mood that day. All from the handlebars and control panel Plus you can change the display to album, song, or artist......it's the way to go.
    The force is strong in this one.....

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe187 View Post
    just turn it off and plug it back in...it will work
    That didn't work.....had to be rebooted.

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupF6B View Post
    Oh yeah.....with the iPod you still use the same format as on the IPod itself. You can choose custom playlists, artists, albums, shuffle in random mode......lots of different menu options. I love the playlists, I have several depending on my mood that day. All from the handlebars and control panel Plus you can change the display to album, song, or artist......it's the way to go.
    Would you please consider doing a write up to educate us? Maybe with a few screenshots of how the menu's look and features?

My USB flash works great, but it only scrolls through music sequentially if you're looking for a specific song... and definitely doesn't support playlists or searching music from just one artist.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    Don't have these issues with using a flash drive
    Is that a question about iPods Jimmy?

Would you please consider doing a write up to educate us? Maybe with a few screenshots of how the menu's look and features?

My USB flash works great, but it only scrolls through music sequentially if you're looking for a specific song... and definitely doesn't support playlists or searching music from just one artist.
    Most of this is in the owners manual if I remember correctly. I can snap some pics of the menus if you think that will be helpful. You can search by song, artists, albums, genre, playlists, and one other I think. You definitely have much better control and information with the IPod.

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupF6B View Post
    First time in a year this has happened. I like the folders and controls of the Ipod on the bike not to mention 120 gigs.
    I use a 64 gig flash drive. I guess I am at a loss at how using an I-pod hooked up in the saddlebag is different than plugging in a flashdrive. I'd understand the navigation thing if you had physical control over the I-pod, but aren't you using the I-pod hooked up into the USB connection at which point it just becomes a mass storage device? You still navigate using the F6B controls correct? That's how I change folders and songs etc.. as well. My flash drive never leaves the saddlebag unless I want to add music to it.

Is that a question about iPods Jimmy?
    Well, it really wasn't a question, just a statement. I've read more than one thread with issues using an I-Pod. Just am at a loss as to what advantage there is in using an I-pod. Other than adding music, my flash drive stays in the bag. If something were to happen to it, it isn't that expensive to replace.

I use a 64 gig flash drive. I guess I am at a loss at how using an I-pod hooked up in the saddlebag is different than plugging in a flashdrive. I'd understand the navigation thing if you had physical control over the I-pod, but aren't you using the I-pod hooked up into the USB connection at which point it just becomes a mass storage device? You still navigate using the F6B controls correct? That's how I change folders and songs etc.. as well. My flash drive never leaves the saddlebag unless I want to add music to it.
    You do have control over the iPod functions through the Wing controls. As I typed above there as several ways to search for songs, albums, artists, genres, etc. It is also customizable with playlists so you can scroll through the different playlists that you set up hearing what you want when you want. The flash drive is a simple basic list of songs that isn't very user friendly at all. If you're happy with the flash drive then enjoy, for me the IPod is the only way to go.

Well, it really wasn't a question, just a statement. I've read more than one thread with issues using an I-Pod. Just am at a loss as to what advantage there is in using an I-pod. Other than adding music, my flash drive stays in the bag. If something were to happen to it, it isn't that expensive to replace.
    I understand your point, Jimmy...however....
    If one has a Sound Company, (Semper Fi Sound, LLC) and does DJ work, and one has a Numark mixer that uses dual-ing iPods and all one's music (29,000 songs) is already in iTunes to accommodate the business, and since using iTunes "sort of" ensures no copy write/stolen music issues (protects the company), why would I go through the pain to get all my music in .wav format?

And I find .mp3 format usually unsuitable due to compression and poor sampling rate - unless I did it myself, but then, if I needed non Apple format, I would use .wav.
    Hope that answers the mail!
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by bigswole31 View Post
    I've experienced this many times. To get everything working again, I reboot my iPod.

For whatever reason the honda software is a bit finicky, as I've never had to do this in any of my cars with the same iPod. It appears that the the device doesn't always cleanly disconnect and reconnect when the device is playing but the bike is shut off. No biggie, but it CAN be annoying since we have to unlock and open the saddlebag to get to the device. I'm using a first or second generation iPod Touch, for what it's worth.
    +1 same here. I use an iPod classic.
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt