Sudden USB failure
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sudden USB failure

Moderator / V-twin Gobbler GiddyupF6B's Avatar

Sudden USB failure

I've been using my Ipod in the saddlebag of my 2012 for a while now with no problems. Today while out on a ride it was working fine, I stopped at a store and when I came back out the display flashed "check usb cable" I unplugged and re plugged everything back in and nothing. The display went back to normal and the usb icon was on the screen showing connectivity but nothing from the Ipod anymore. I plugged in earphones to confirm the Ipod still worked and changed out the Ipod cable to eliminate that....nothing. It recognizes a connection because when I unplug it the icon goes away.....anyone have any suggestions as to what this could be? It seemed odd it just suddenly stopped working after all this time. Thanks
    The force is strong in this one.....

My guess is the USB hub in your iPhone went out.

Is there another iPhone you can try in the bike? Or can you test your iPhone USB with your PC?

EDIT: Oops, I mean iPod

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    My guess is the USB hub in your iPhone went out.

Is there another iPhone you can try in the bike? Or can you test your iPhone USB with your PC?
    Good call, I have another Ipod to try as well as an Iphone I can try. The Ipod is a year old so I'm hoping it's not that...it's the $240 120 GB mamajamma........

I've experienced this many times. To get everything working again, I reboot my iPod.

For whatever reason the honda software is a bit finicky, as I've never had to do this in any of my cars with the same iPod. It appears that the the device doesn't always cleanly disconnect and reconnect when the device is playing but the bike is shut off. No biggie, but it CAN be annoying since we have to unlock and open the saddlebag to get to the device. I'm using a first or second generation iPod Touch, for what it's worth.

Don't have these issues with using a flash drive

Quote Originally Posted by bigswole31 View Post
    I've experienced this many times. To get everything working again, I reboot my iPod.

For whatever reason the honda software is a bit finicky, as I've never had to do this in any of my cars with the same iPod. It appears that the the device doesn't always cleanly disconnect and reconnect when the device is playing but the bike is shut off. No biggie, but it CAN be annoying since we have to unlock and open the saddlebag to get to the device. I'm using a first or second generation iPod Touch, for what it's worth.
    That was it....thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    Don't have these issues with using a flash drive
    First time in a year this has happened. I like the folders and controls of the Ipod on the bike not to mention 120 gigs.

Glad you got it fixed!

How do you mean folders and controls are better?

With a USB flash drive we can only have 255 songs in each folder... and there really isn't much control other than flipping song by song or folder by folder to find something.

Does the iPod do things better; more options on the bike controls to search for songs, etc?

just turn it off and plug it back in...it will work

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupF6B View Post
    That was it....thanks!
    Was thinking that as well...not sure what the deal is with Apple products, but they all have to be cycled off fairly frequently ....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com