Short guys and the F6B
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short guys and the F6B

Short guys and the F6B

I'm not a card-carrying member of the F6B owners group (yet) but part of the Honda family. I've been riding the VTX 1300R for about seven years -- closing in on 35,000 miles. Lots of life left in my '05 X but really looking to move away from the carburetor and into something with fuel injection, ABS and, of course, more power. So here's the deal. I've always thought the F6B may be too big a bike to move up to given its 800+ lbs. weight. I'm 5'7" and 185 lbs. and showroom visits prove that the bike fits me okay. I haven't had the opportunity to road test yet though. Very interested to hear the thoughts of those who may be . . . ahem . . . vertically challenged and own the F6B. Is the F6B a bike a smaller guy can handle okay in most real-world situations? Thanks!

shooter
    Look buddy imnot a small guy. Knowing and riding and doing my own wrenching for 45 years I've learned s few things. The B has a very low center of gravity. I think mosthiys agree it feels more like a 700 lb bike than an 850 lb bike. It handles extremely light. This thing corners like a dream. I'm always kidding and saying if you raise the.pegs I'm ready for Moto GP. Leave the preload down on the rear shock. That keeps seat height down. They do make a seat that drops you 1 inch. If your legs are in shape I think you will be fine. The B balances a lot better than your VTX.

I'm with ya

Brasco,

I'm right there with you, actually a little shorter. I'm 5'5" and around 200lbs, I've ridden lots of big bikes and smaller sport bikes and cruisers. I just came off a 2014 Harley Street Glide and the F6b is about 20lbs heavier but it sure doesn't feel like it. It's easier to get off the kick stand without straining, I've almost thrown it over onto the other side due to being used to picking up a more top heavy bike off the kick stand. The F6B carries its weight very low and is much easier to maneuver in traffic and definitely in the parking lots. I can actually turn this bike around within 2 1/2 parking spaces withot any trouble, almost have done it in less than 2 but hesitated. I had my seat cut down on the Harley by 1" and am going to do it on the 6 as well. Having it done at Mean City Cycles in North Carolina. They say they can get around 1 1/2" out of the seat and will narrow it down as well. I'm on the balls of both feet with either my shoes or boots on, but due to me mainly riding by myself I usually just use 1 foot at lights and such. When I'm 2 up I'm almost flat footed and I have the rear adjusted to about 15 click for the preload. Like I said its so much more nimble than what I ever thought it would be. If you can go and test ride one you will definitely like it and just fall in love as I did. I've said it on every post that I've made, I wish I would have bought this first instead of the Harley like I had intended but went the other route because that's what I knew.
    Have a good one and keep the sunny side up and the rubber side down.

Hey Brasco, welcome aboard and great first post.

I believe a member of the fairer sex here is 5'2" and she handles the bike I'm sure as well as any of us; maybe she'll chime in.

If you handled the bike on a showroom floor... maybe you had a chance to move it back and forth... and maybe roll it out a little bit in a curve? If so, you've experienced about the worst of the effort required to handle the bike. As an experienced rider, you'll likely have very little trouble once the bike is in motion... it's just so well balanced.

As mentioned above, re-working the foam in the OEM seat can bring you noticeably closer to the ground. A lot of this effect is from removing foam from the sides of the seat.

I am 5'6" with a 29" inseam. 194 lbs. I have the stock seat with a short fur sheep skin. With the sport bike like front fork the 6 feels lighter than the Valk I had.

no problem

Hey Brasco.....Got my F6b last August, after putting 52,000 miles on my 2007 VTX 1300 in less than 5 years.....
    Like yourself....I'm an "inseam challenged" (28") short guy at 5'8"....beefed up to 245....the VTX was a great fit for me, but
    To get real flat-footed on my new F6....added a Mustang seat and Kuryakyn 3/4" drop mini boards foot pegs and I am lovin it...
    This new F6 has the lowest center of gravity and the best handling of anything I have owned in the last 50 years of riding...

you will love what you did when you pull the trigger on a new F6B

Shaker

Hi All

Like Brasco, I am not a card-carrying member of the F6B owners group. I joined the group to gain a greater insight into the bike, the owners and overall community

In American terms I am 170lb with a 29" inseam. At 58 years young I am currently on bike number 17 a 2014 Harley Street Glide, being my first Harley.

I did quite a bit of research prior to purchase also taking into account the F6B, however, at the time it was not known if the Australian model would have ABS
    and there was no cruise control which unfortunately put it out of the running. My riding is generally two up with the Minister for Finance on the back, at this stage
    I am not greatly impressed with the Harley rear suspension for two up riding with gear

I would be interested in Wylbur78 comments in relation to the two bikes having been a previous Street Glide owner.

The last Honda I owned was a 350/4 many years ago. The 2015 F6B has just been released in Sydney so I will be attending a dealership and having a look / see
    since they now have cruise.

I am finding this Forum a great source for information and also a great bunch of people
    Cheers from Sydney
    Auldy (Ken)

Great feedback -- thanks

This is better feedback on my question than I could have imagined. Thanks to all who have chimed in with their thoughts. Ever since first seeing the F6B at a bike show in year one of its production the prospect this may be the 'next' ride has been swirling around in the back of my mind. I've also been seriously looking at the Triumph Thunderbird LT, but on many levels that bike does not come close on mechanical innovations and creature comforts. Astonishingly, the Bird is also just 15 lbs. lighter wet. Will be riding both when test ride opportunities arise. The input from you all has really helped ease my concerns. Great group on this forum! Thx.

I'm at a similar height and weight range with a 30" inseam. No problems handling the F6B around a parking lot or anywhere else. Compared to my Road King it feels much more nimble. I did install the Mustang seat to get me down a little lower so that I am totally flat footed. Comfort, handling and power is fantastic on the F6b.

Brasco, when (if) we ever get a weekend here in south Calgary where it isn't too cold & the wind isn't screaming like it was last Saturday & Sunday, get in touch with me. You sat on my F6B outside of Dixon's Pub last fall..... let's go for a scoot which will last longer than a Honda test ride. You can ride my bike & I'll hop on your lovely red VTX. I've got the Mustang seat which makes one sit slightly lower. Maybe the weatherman will change his tune about the cool temps expected this weekend....

If you're interested, it would probably be easier to reach me through the Retreads on Facebook, as I'm not on this board every day.