Well I finally found the front end wobble - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Well I finally found the front end wobble

All Balls tapered bearings and races installed in the neck makes the wobble go away. Doesn't matter which front tire or what pressures, no more wobble.................Dickie
    " A Gun Is Like A Parachute.If You Need One, And Don't Have One, You'll Probably Never Need One Again!"

Quote Originally Posted by dickiedeals View Post
    All Balls tapered bearings and races installed in the neck makes the wobble go away. Doesn't matter which front tire or what pressures, no more wobble.................Dickie
    I did nothing but change my front tire and my low speed wobble disappeared. Same brand and size as came on it new, but no wobble.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by wylbur78 View Post
    I was on my way home yesterday and riding in the HOV lane here in Houston and got frustrated being behind someone that was going 60 and passed them at a certain point that was safe to do so. As I was passing them I looked down and noticed I was already up to 90 after kicking it down into 3rd and traveling back up into 5th so I figured what the Hell let's keep going since I had plenty of room and at about 115 or so I felt the whole bike start kinda wobble or wallow down the road so I almost hit the shutoff point and decided to back out of it. Has anyone else noticed this at this speed and what is the cause? Will a Super Brace fix it or is maybe the tire slightly out of balance?

Thanks,
    Wylbur
    I was surprised to find mine unsteady at 105 mph. I came from the ST1300 which is famous for a high speed wobble but didn't have that problem. I was not aware of the Goldwing problem. I suspect it is one of the reasons for the limiter. It has been my understanding the bikes are tested in wind tunnels and I'm wondering if they found the design to be too dangerous past 125 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    I did nothing but change my front tire and my low speed wobble disappeared. Same brand and size as came on it new, but no wobble.
    Yep when you change a half worn front tire to a new one the wobble is hidden by the new tire for a short time until that tire gets half worn and it returns. Why not fix the problem and get full mileage out of your front tires...All Balls Bearings and races $45.00 plus two hours labor at your dealer..........or keep changing tires prematurely..............Dickie
    " A Gun Is Like A Parachute.If You Need One, And Don't Have One, You'll Probably Never Need One Again!"

Yep when you change a half worn front tire to a new one the wobble is hidden by the new tire for a short time until that tire gets half worn and it returns. Why not fix the problem and get full mileage out of your front tires...All Balls Bearings and races $45.00 plus two hours labor at your dealer..........or keep changing tires prematurely..............Dickie
    No,no,no. I had the wobble from original tires when they were brand new. I have had the new replacement tires on now for 6,000 miles and no wobble.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    No,no,no. I had the wobble from original tires when they were brand new. I have had the new replacement tires on now for 6,000 miles and no wobble.
    I got the wobble at less than 50% wear on the front tire, the dealer charged me 2 hours labor for bearing tightening and replaced my front tire ,none of which was covered under warranty.On the way home the wobble was still there only less. After 2000 miles on the tire the 40 mph wobble returned..Once again they said I need a new tire.(I say Bull after only 2000 miles)..After research I discovered the non tapered bearing issue.Tightening non tapered bearings is a waist of time and money. All Balls Tapered bearings and races are the answer.Otherwise I doubt Wing Stuff could sell them.The dealer was more than happy to install them..Same ole front tire, No Wobble...............Dickie

I got the wobble at less than 50% wear on the front tire, the dealer charged me 2 hours labor for bearing tightening and replaced my front tire ,none of which was covered under warranty.On the way home the wobble was still there only less. After 2000 miles on the tire the 40 mph wobble returned..Once again they said I need a new tire.(I say Bull after only 2000 miles)..After research I discovered the non tapered bearing issue.Tightening non tapered bearings is a waist of time and money. All Balls Tapered bearings and races are the answer.Otherwise I doubt Wing Stuff could sell them.The dealer was more than happy to install them..Same ole front tire, No Wobble...............Dickie
    I understand that is your experience, it just hasn't been mine. As soon as I bought my bike, I noticed the 37 -41 mph wobble. It didn't happen after some wear, it was there from day 1. I had read about the issue and had also read about the tapered bearing replacement solution.All Balls is what I replaced the bearings in my Valkyrie head with. I had mentioned the issue with my dealer, and he had said the same thing about the tapered bearings. Outside of that, they could check it, but if it passed the tension/drag check it was what passed by Honda's specs. The wobble was very subtle, and really only was noticeable if I had both hands off the handlebars between the narrow speed window. I just decided to live with it for now.

In May, when I decided to change my tires because I was going to South Dakota, all of a sudden, the wobble was gone. The wobble is still gone after 6,000 miles. All I did was change tires. I didn't change tires because of the wobble, I changed tires because of the rear tire mainly and wanted fresh rubber for the trip and summer. I suppose the wobble could return if the bearings are indeed the cause in my situation. However, 6,000 miles in so far so good.
    Now , some suggested it was because the front tire had become cupped or something from low air pressure. NO. I routinely ensure I have the correct pressures in my tires. And again, it was there from day 1 with 4 miles on the odometer.

Jimmytee, What tires are your replacements? Thanks, cueman

That's the rub, same as the OEMs

Quote Originally Posted by gmorstad View Post
    I was surprised to find mine unsteady at 105 mph. I came from the ST1300 which is famous for a high speed wobble but didn't have that problem. I was not aware of the Goldwing problem. I suspect it is one of the reasons for the limiter. It has been my understanding the bikes are tested in wind tunnels and I'm wondering if they found the design to be too dangerous past 125 mph.
    I've never noticed any instability at high speed. Mind you, I don't often take the bike into triple digits, don't want the LEO encounter. However, I have pressed the bike on secluded patches of roads to the speed limiter and never noticed any issues.