I just bought these jbl speakers, they should rock
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I just bought these jbl speakers, they should rock

I just bought these jbl speakers, they should rock

JBL P562 5-1/4" Two-Way Power Series Speakers

• 5-1/4" Power Series Car Speakers
    • Peak: 330 watts per pair / 165 watts each | RMS: 110 watts per pair / 55 watts each
    • Frequency Response: 75 - 23000 Hz
    • Sensitivity: 91 dB
    • Top Mount Depth: 1-7/8"
    • Everything I heard about is great!!

[QUOTE=Jrockr;73436]JBL P562 5-1/4" Two-Way Power Series Speakers

• 5-1/4" Power Series Car Speakers
    • Peak: 330 watts per pair / 165 watts each | RMS: 110 watts per pair / 55 watts each
    • Frequency Response: 75 - 23000 Hz
    • Sensitivity: 91 dB
    • Top Mount Depth: 1-7/8"
    • Everything I heard about is great!!

[/QUOTE everything that I have read on this sight made me research these. Multiple stereo shops recommended them.

Nice,
    Look to have a great frequency range and RMS range. Probably need an amp to bring them to their fullest. Are they Marine rated? Under $ 2 bills?
    Those should sound great.
    J
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstiff's F6B View Post
    Nice,
    Look to have a great frequency range and RMS range. Probably need an amp to bring them to their fullest. Are they Marine rated? Under $ 2 bills?
    Those should sound great.
    J
    $70 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-P562-Two-W.../dp/B003T0WFB0

Moderator / V-twin Gobbler GiddyupF6B's Avatar
    They don't appear to be water resistant? They list as car speakers......
    The force is strong in this one.....

Where's JimmyT... wonder if Frogzskin can be used for protection....

sound quality without a amp is my goal. "speakers"

My goal is not to have a amp and I just want to have the best sound that I can get from the head unit. The jbl's pull nre from the factory head unit so they should work good. I am not a fan of Polk, j&m, Sony and the other one that was mentioned on the forum, so I am just going my own way. I will take a lot of pictures and you tubes sound bites for you guys. I hope the result is as good as my research predicts, so I will let you know. Sound quality with out an amp is my goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrockr View Post
    My goal is not to have a amp and I just want to have the best sound that I can get from the head unit. The jbl's pull nre from the factory head unit so they should work good. I am not a fan of Polk, j&m, Sony and the other one that was mentioned on the forum, so I am just going my own way. I will take a lot of pictures and you tubes sound bites for you guys. I hope the result is as good as my research predicts, so I will let you know. Sound quality with out an amp is my goal.

Don't know a lot about car/bike audio, but I know a lot about studio and Pro Audio PA work for bands.
    Few thoughts:
    1. The kick drum is usually around 60-66Hz with first overtones at ~120Hz.
    2. Anything above 15KHz is usually inaudible to anyone over 40 years old, plus, nothing generates music that high.
    3. RMS power/Program power/Peak power are all different ratings and have to do with the nominal impedance of the speaker and what the test was.
    RMS is a continuous sine wave at a certain frequency (very grueling test).
    Program (or "Music") is more representative of what the speaker will actually see in use.
    Peak is the OMG threshold that should not be exceeded for more than a few milliseconds.
    In Pro-Audio, the Program rating of a speaker is "usually" 2x the RMS, and the Peak is 4x the RMS.
    Without knowing what the OEM amp head is rated for - independent of the OEM speakers being attached - it is difficult to match speakers to an amp.
    Normally, the rule of thumb is to get an amp that shall provide 60-80% of Program Power to the speakers for a given impedance.
    The impedance for the JBL speakers wasn't provided, but that will have an effect on how the amp sees them and what power the amp will attempt to provide.
    4. For waterproofing: a lot of my gigs are outdoors and while the main PA is usually vertical and can be protected with large trash bags, the stage monitors face upwards and are exposed to lots of moisture, either natural rain or man-made sweat, beer, etc. I use Kiwi-Wet Pruf on the cones in a few light coats. It does stiffen the cone a bit, but makes the cone water repellant to a certain point.

Back to pesky day job.....Cheers

Edit: Forgot to mention the "Sensitivity" spec.
    This is a good relative spec to determine how loud your speakers will sound compared to other speakers that have published a sensitivity spec.
    Usually (the industry standard) is the sensitivity is measured with 1 Watt of input power and the mic is 1 meter away.
    It can also go so far as to be in an anechoic environment, or a half space environment, which can affect the reading by 6dB or more.
    So that 91 dB mentioned just seems low to me, as most of my cabs are 99-13dB. But again, not car audio and I'm using bigger drivers in bigger cabinets.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

I looked at their specs on http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12267_JBL-P562.html
    Some things you might want to consider.

The speaker impedance is rated at 2 ohms. Not a big problem for amplifiers that are capable of operating with 2 ohm loads. The OEM speakers are like 3.8 ohms. I know that I tried , as a comparison, running the 2.7 ohm speakers I used with the OEM amplifier and you could tell the OEM amp was running out of steam. Just a thought. You're asking the OEM amplifier to powere a 2 ohm load and I'm not convinced it will like it.

As far as water proofing, the material construction is stated as woven glass so you may be ok. Just wouldn't be directly spraying them down with a hose.

I'm pretty sure you're going to need an adapter or make an adapter to install 5.25" speakers. The stock speakers are like 6" . They have a mounting bolt pattern that is the same as most 6.5" speakers, but the frame is narrower. Some have installed 6.5" speakers and trimming the speaker frame down to fit.

Another consideration is the clearance behind the speaker. The stock speakers have a very small magnet. I don't know the type of magnet, but the Polk Audio MM series component speakers I installed have a neodymium magnet which are small because of the Neodymium magnets. Neodymium is more expensive than traditional magnets.

Just some things to consider. Hope it works out great for you.