I just bought these jbl speakers, they should rock - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I just bought these jbl speakers, they should rock

Thanks guys.

You guys are good at this better than me. Also, you did convince that I should do a dry fit sound check first. I just wanted to go a different route than anyone else because of the speaker choices that we have. I will do more some shackles into it if I have to, not a big deal. Everyone on here is like a neighbor down the block coming in the garage to help me out!! Really cool

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Okay, I did some phone calling....and I have reason to believe it's true, and you will never see this number published, but the OEM amp could only be 8 Watts a side.
    Hi Guys,
    This is all interesting stuff. But, 8 watts per side is a misunderstanding.

When I was adding rear speakers, I used an oscilloscope to see what the OEM amp was outputting. It will output 14v RMS! I realize in the real music world, that power will never be utilized, but it is there.

14v RMS into 4 ohms is about 50 watts. Even more into 3+ ohms.

If I get a chance today, I'll snap a pic of it on a scope.
    Albuquerque, NM

Okay, here are some o'scope pics into a 4 ohm load.

Interesting thought. I have read several times in different places that this is an 80 watt/channel amp.
    With 13v rms, you would get 80 watts into a 2 ohm speaker. Maybe this amp is rated for 2 ohms?! Sure would be nice to know ....

Attachment 13329
    Here is some random music over the radio. No where near clipping yet.

Attachment 13327
    Here is a 10khz sine wave just starting to clip above 18v.

That is only about 13v rms. Maybe my battery was more charged when I saw 14v, or maybe I was seeing what I wanted to see. Either way, there is a decent amount of power out of this OEM amp.
    Albuquerque, NM

Great info.
    2013 F6B in black of course

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    Okay, here are some o'scope pics into a 4 ohm load.

Interesting thought. I have read several times in different places that this is an 80 watt/channel amp.
    With 13v rms, you would get 80 watts into a 2 ohm speaker. Maybe this amp is rated for 2 ohms?! Sure would be nice to know ....

Attachment 13329
    Here is some random music over the radio. No where near clipping yet.

Attachment 13327
    Here is a 1khz sine wave just starting to clip above 18v.

That is only about 13v rms. Maybe my battery was more charged when I saw 14v, or maybe I was seeing what I wanted to see. Either way, there is a decent amount of power out of this OEM amp.
    Well, when you are measuring into a 4 ohm load , what are you using for that load?

Then what I can tell you is that when I measured the decibel output from the factory amp vs. the output measured from another amp rated conservatively at 50 watts RMS into a 4ohm load and 100 watts into a 2 ohm load that the other amp was more than twice as loud. The speakers used in this are rated at 2.7 ohms. The amp used was NVX . The testing was done with the factory volume level set at 20. With the OEM amp , you could hear it audibly losing steam when pushed past this level. The NVX never had any such distortions or reaction and continued to raise in volume with recognizable control iver the drivers.

speakers

I found out that Honda is using a 3 ohm speaker..

Quote Originally Posted by Jrockr View Post
    I found out that Honda is using a 3 ohm speaker..
    it's a 3.8 ohm speaker. For all intents and purposes, a 4 ohm.

OK, after reading this thread, it has become painfully clear that I have no idea what to buy for rear speakers!
    I put on a Harley tour pack with speakers that I found locally for sale. It has the speaker pods and speakers, but I want to replace the speakers.
    I was looking at Hog Tunes speakers.
    Now knowing that I don't know squat about speakers, can anyone direct me to speakers that will work properly with the stock radio?
    I won't even pretend to understand what has been previously typed by the more educated electronic guru's here.
    Watts, ohms, amps,,,,,
    What numbers do I look for?
    In other words, HELP !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pap View Post
    OK, after reading this thread, it has become painfully clear that I have no idea what to buy for rear speakers!
    I put on a Harley tour pack with speakers that I found locally for sale. It has the speaker pods and speakers, but I want to replace the speakers.
    I was looking at Hog Tunes speakers.
    Now knowing that I don't know squat about speakers, can anyone direct me to speakers that will work properly with the stock radio?
    I won't even pretend to understand what has been previously typed by the more educated electronic guru's here.
    Watts, ohms, amps,,,,,
    What numbers do I look for?
    In other words, HELP !!!!
    Your speaker pods will dictate the diameter and depth of the speaker and its mounting hole pattern. The newer HD tour pak speaker pods will allow larger diameter speakers than the older ones, so you will have to check your specific speaker pods.

The radio's amp (or aftermarket amp) will dictate ohms and watts (that supports the speakers).

If you are going to use the factory radio's amp, you should look for a 4 Ohm speaker with 90dB or higher efficiency.

NOTE: I would stay away from 2 Ohm speakers with the stock amp. I do not know if the amp is stable enough (others in the know, please chime in) to support 2 Ohm speakers which could damage the amp.

As speaker efficiency increases, power requirements decrease (and visa versa). Power (not volume/sound level) is doubled or halved with every 3dB gain or loss in efficiency (e.g. 3dB = 2X, 6dB = 4X, 9dB = 8X, 12dB = 16X, etc.). It takes about 10dB (or @ 10X the power) for the human ear to perceive a doubling/halving in volume/sound level. For motorcycle applications with limited space, heat and electrical concerns, it is usually better to look for a more efficient speaker than it is a more powerful amp (i.e. an 85dB speaker would require 6X the amplifier power than a 94dB speaker to produce the same volume/sound level). Since you are planning on using the stock amp, the power variable is fixed so you should optimize the speaker efficiency.

Also, look for Marine Grade speakers for water and weather durability.

J&M has some new F6B speakers made for the factory amp that will fit the dash (and possibly your rear pods), but they are on back order until Sept. 1.

HTH

J&M F6B Speakers - FSPU-GL06

Thanks!
    So I'm looking for what fits and 4 ohm.
    Sounds simple enough .