BMW working on a new K1600 for US Market
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW working on a new K1600 for US Market

BMW working on a new K1600 for US Market

Hi There,

just read an article in the motorcycle newspaper: BMW heavily wants to enter the US market with a new design on the K1600.

These are early state pictures.

Attachment 13413

Also a version without the top trunk is imaginable to let it become a bagger similar to the F6B.

Of course it's in early state, but i personally think the front doesn't match the back at all. Right now it looks too much like mixing the elements of different bikes.

BMW has got a market share of 33% meanwhile in germany. They are very efficient in carrying the picture of freedom and adventure with their motorcycles in their aggressive advertisments. But they also do have big problems with some parts of the bike that lack quality that you normally think these bikes should have for their prices. They just called back 367.000 bikes to the mechanics (nearly 60.000 in germany). And a lot more of quality issues they had on several bike models like the "new" GS1200. About 40% of the owners of new bikes see the mechanics again because of defective parts on their bikes.
    Always a good and safe ride,
    Karim

All models of GT and GTL 1600 are very beautiful and attracted many owners of iconic LT1200 , who were awaiting for refreshed tourer . I was among them and almost bought one . The only hefty price discouraged my attempt . Many recalls , specifically related to faulty electronics , zoomed out all my interest and sudden exposition of F6B changed my mind for good . No regrets whatsoever . This newest and unnecessarily redesigned model doesn't roll my heart at all .

Still love GS Adventure . It's a different animal .

Quote Originally Posted by Limoles View Post
    All models of GT and GTL 1600 are very beautiful and attracted many owners of iconic LT1200 , who were awaiting for refreshed tourer . I was among them and almost bought one . The only hefty price discouraged my attempt . Many recalls , specifically related to faulty electronics , zoomed out all my interest and sudden exposition of F6B changed my mind for good . No regrets whatsoever . This newest and unnecessarily redesigned model doesn't roll my heart at all .

Still love GS Adventure . It's a different animal .
    When I was window shopping , so to speak, the 1600 was on my list of potentials. I sat on one, the trunks do come off fairly easy. The one I was looking at had some interesting factory highway pegs. It actually felt like it would be pretty comfortable. I was entranced by the horsepower figures these bikes have. In the end, like other potentials, it just didn't have the flat six I love. Also, I was never enamored by the styling of these bikes. They look tall and I don't know, just don't quite do it for me. A restyled and redesigned one might do the trick. Then there was the price for admission coupled with the reported quality issues I've read about.

BMW builts a great product. Before I purchased the 6 I test road a k1600 GT AND YES IT HAD PLENTY OF POWER. But the mantience issues and dealer availability really turned me off. Before taking the plunge on the 6 I had a 2004 R1150R that I just sold two weeks ago, so I am very familiar with The BMW line. I live 20 miles north of Atlanta and we only have 2 authorize BMW dealers in the entire city, compared to 4 Honda dealers within a 10 mile radius of my home, no brainier. Still beemers are sweet but the 6 is pure honey.

Unfortunately , globalization of industrial world brought new awarness to the quality issues . Today , no final product has one , proudly represented signature to its trademark . Seems to me , every and each giant corporation found new philosophy of minimizing spendings on production to the "cost effective" level. World wide consumer became an "experimental pig" with no chances to escape , and mass production sectors knows it very well .

I share your thoughts, F6B-Riders The BMW K1600 also was on my radar and i am still watching the progress. The BMW dealer is just 1 Mile away from my door, but the little fact that the guys over there don't treat you like an customer if you don't show up looking like blessed with money they don't even greet you, made it easily for me to move on to the Honda dealer and they greeted me with a cup of coffee And now i am just so happy with the F6B Some things seem just to happen for a reason.

All of you have a wonderful weekend...
    Always a good and safe ride,
    Karim

IMO the BMW tourers are too tall with a seat position and center of gravity that are too high... and they have too much of a sport bike lean-forward position. Otherwise, the riding dynamics and features are pretty darn good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurare79 View Post

but the little fact that the guys over there don't treat you like an customer if you don't show up looking like blessed with money they don't even great you, made it easily for me to move on to the Honda dealer and they greated me with a cup of coffee

Agree... and amazing... the power of a cup of coffee

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    IMO the BMW tourers are too tall with a seat position and center of gravity that are too high... and they have too much of a sport bike lean-forward position. Otherwise, the riding dynamics and features are pretty darn good.

... and I feel its aroma . Who said "The only nice people riding Honda" ?

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    I like my coffee.
    I have a Jura Impressa J8 - makes great coffee.
    I do not have BMW - they do not make great coffee.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Gotta lose that transformers front end. Rounded lines are ok.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver