New Goldwing Predictions - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Goldwing Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    You beat me to it Ken!
    Yeah, George, you've got to be quick around here
    Ken (Hornblower)

Well boys, I've ridden the Smokies, the Rockies in four states, the Sierras, the Black Hills, and the hills of San Fransisco as well as "flat country". My wing rider friends who I've ridden with for 25 years on all kinds of bikes over a large part of this country have complained about that low first gear as have I.

When I go camping I take my pickup. When I go motorcycling I ride. I'm sure that first gear is ok for pulling a trailer but that's not what we do. I guess its ok to have a different opinion and neither be wrong!

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by bertrider View Post
    I don't consider this a prediction but rather something to go on a wish list. Honda needs to fix 1st gear. It's too low in my mind. Taking off in 2nd feels better at times and the motor sure has plenty of torque for that. Fix that and adjust the other four gears then maybe people wouldn't want a 6th.
    Bert , you're kinda one-eyed. I wegh 300lbs and the wife 180. You stop on some of these hills we have around here and you need everything first gear has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by typhoon186 View Post
    4 valve per cylinder heads
    double overhead cams
    6 speed manual
    Automatic optional
    electric windshield (up/down)
    direct injection fueling
    variable valve timing
    That's what BMW K1600 GT has in std. version ( not auto trans. opt. yet ).
    It's priced accordingly too .

I was always thinking to be able and build any bike with options "a la carte". Needed and ordered , than installed by factory upgrades could attract buyers and flawing inventory be more beneficial for manufacturers . Auto industries are doing that , but not many buyers know about it . In past , having specific requests for needed options , I purchased few cars already and were always less expensive , than offered in available "packages". It could be not so traditional , but possible indeed .

Personally on my wish list I'd like

1) No linked brakes, they are too intrusive, especially on gravel roads (we have a lot of them here)
    2) 6th Gear, I'd like a true OD gear, it's nice to have the power for overtakes but would like a lazier gear for fuel economy on those long stretches of highway, I don't mind changing down for overtakes.
    3) More modern dash, including gear indicator and back lit switch gear.
    4) Updated radio panel

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    Personally on my wish list I'd like

2) 6th Gear, I'd like a true OD gear, it's nice to have the power for overtakes but would like a lazier gear for fuel economy on those long stretches of highway, I don't mind changing down for overtakes.
    I *believe* both 4th and 5th are already true OD gears... 4th is about 0.8:1 and 5th is about 0.65:1

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Bert , you're kinda one-eyed. I wegh 300lbs and the wife 180. You stop on some of these hills we have around here and you need everything first gear has to offer.
    A higher first gear is something I would like. Its on MY list. It sure doesn't have to be on yours and when I first mentioned it I didn't realize it was so dear to so many.

I *believe* both 4th and 5th are already true OD gears... 4th is about 0.8:1 and 5th is about 0.65:1
    If you sit at 80mph in 5th the bike pulls 3100 rpm which seems a little high, could due with being 500 rpm lower, Just my opinion as a rider , also might help stretch a tank of gas further.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    If you sit at 80mph in 5th the bike pulls 3100 rpm which seems a little high, could due with being 500 rpm lower, Just my opinion as a rider , also might help stretch a tank of gas further.
    Agree.. but what are the downsides to doing this through the rear gears? This is a mod that could be done now, without having to wait and hope that Honda makes a tranny change.

Agree.. but what are the downsides to doing this through the rear gears? This is a mod that could be done now, without having to wait and hope that Honda makes a tranny change.
    No idea, I have no mechanical skills, I just ride em and brake em, mine is lucky to get a wash.