THE BACK

Thread: THE BACK

THE BACK

Okay,

After back surgery (L4-L5-S1) a few years ago and now having some hardware in my back I would like a seat with a rider backrest in order to obtain some back support. The height of the current seat is okay but could always use better footing. This is what I’m kicking around:
    1. Mustang Seat, would it aid my situation? I like the 1” drop. But no backrest.
    2. Ultimate midrider (5’10” 175 lbs) with rider backrest. Drawback, it basically position you like the stock seat.
    3. Install a Utopia backrest and get the stock seat modified by mean city cycles.
    On my other bike I have Ultimate seat with a backrest and really helps me out. Just trying to get some ideas before spending the jack on the Ultimate seat for the 6.

Your thoughts

S/F

Quote Originally Posted by USMARINE View Post
    Okay,

After back surgery (L4-L5-S1) a few years ago and now having some hardware in my back I would like a seat with a rider backrest in order to obtain some back support. The height of the current seat is okay but could always use better footing. This is what I’m kicking around:
    1. Mustang Seat, would it aid my situation? I like the 1” drop. But no backrest.
    2. Ultimate midrider (5’10” 175 lbs) with rider backrest. Drawback, it basically position you like the stock seat.
    3. Install a Utopia backrest and get the stock seat modified by mean city cycles.
    On my other bike I have Ultimate seat with a backrest and really helps me out. Just trying to get some ideas before spending the jack on the Ultimate seat for the 6.

Your thoughts

S/F
    I'm riding an Ultimate with a back rest and like it, Mean City can do some great things as well, either way and you should notice an improvement

Okay,

Your thoughts

S/F
    You didn't mention if you ride solo! If so you my be able to obtain a Cruiser Bag and use you passenger backrest as a mounting point.

I purchased a "Cruiser Bag" from a company in Canada many many years ago. Unfortunately they went out of business. Their bag was constructed from hard PVC Pipe approximately 13" dia. Covered in Black Vinyl it is durable with enough room to slide a 24 Pack of beer or soda into. It has a back pad which attaches with Velcro Strips. You may be able to find a bag of like design which would accommodate your need for back support. Attaching a pic of my set-up. I only ride solo so my bag stays in place.

DSC_0004.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    You didn't mention if you ride solo! If so you my be able to obtain a Cruiser Bag and use you passenger backrest as a mounting point.

I purchased a "Cruiser Bag" from a company in Canada many many years ago. Unfortunately they went out of business. Their bag was constructed from hard PVC Pipe approximately 13" dia. Covered in Black Vinyl it is durable with enough room to slide a 24 Pack of beer or soda into. It has a back pad which attaches with Velcro Strips. You may be able to find a bag of like design which would accommodate your need for back support. Attaching a pic of my set-up. I only ride solo so my bag stays in place.

Attachment 13377
    I like your setup, what a super idea. But, I sometimes take the better half on trips.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelley View Post
    I'm riding an Ultimate with a back rest and like it, Mean City can do some great things as well, either way and you should notice an improvement
    Thanks JKelly, I am really leaning towards the ultimate since that's what's on my other scooter.

Thanks JKelly, I am really leaning towards the ultimate since that's what's on my other scooter.
    The Ultimate is an exceptionally built seat. I had one of the mid riders on the F6, but it is not the same as the stock riding position. It pushes you up and forward. If I had ordered the King, it "might" still be on the bike. I too have a bad back, and it takes the right seating position for me to be comfortable. I went back to the stock with a backrest, and sometimes use an Airhawk or the mesh no sweat pad just to change up riding positions. This has allowed me to make a couple of long trips, including two 1k mile days with no prob.

Okay,

Your thoughts

S/F
    Sounds like we're both about the same size and weight so maybe what I've found successful will be of value to you. BTW, I also have lower back trouble that I have to be careful about. Unfortunately, my solution will not be cheap. I have the Ultimate Mid Rider with rider backrest, HeliBars, and Madstad. With this combination, I can totally dial it in and ride in total comfort all day long. To be honest, I don't believe it gets any better than this. Like someone mentioned, the Mid Rider does move you forward just a bit but with my 33" sleeve length, I found that to be a good thing. Of course, the HeliBars are adjusted back toward me to get it perfect. With this setup, I am finally done messing around with seats, bars, and windscreens. Of course, there's still a lot of other things I can mess with .
    Ken (Hornblower)

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    The Ultimate is an exceptionally built seat. I had one of the mid riders on the F6, but it is not the same as the stock riding position. It pushes you up and forward. If I had ordered the King, it "might" still be on the bike. I too have a bad back, and it takes the right seating position for me to be comfortable. I went back to the stock with a backrest, and sometimes use an Airhawk or the mesh no sweat pad just to change up riding positions. This has allowed me to make a couple of long trips, including two 1k mile days with no prob.
    Perfect, thanks for the response. I am getting lots of valuable information.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Sounds like we're both about the same size and weight so maybe what I've found successful will be of value to you. BTW, I also have lower back trouble that I have to be careful about. Unfortunately, my solution will not be cheap. I have the Ultimate Mid Rider with rider backrest, HeliBars, and Madstad. With this combination, I can totally dial it in and ride in total comfort all day long. To be honest, I don't believe it gets any better than this. Like someone mentioned, the Mid Rider does move you forward just a bit but with my 33" sleeve length, I found that to be a good thing. Of course, the HeliBars are adjusted back toward me to get it perfect. With this setup, I am finally done messing around with seats, bars, and windscreens. Of course, there's still a lot of other things I can mess with .
    Hornblower thank you for the fantastic set of ideas. I will probably end up with this set up.

Thanks.