Harley recalls nearly 46,000 motorcycles - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Harley recalls nearly 46,000 motorcycles

Quote Originally Posted by taxfree4 View Post
    Nothing to do with feelings, my original comment, they use the public as their R&D, was based on the recall was done due to "customer complaints", accidents and injuries due to a defective clutch master cylinder. I won in court due to a throttle lag, which can get you killed if you're trying to enter a highway, or change lanes, and you have a 1-2 second lag in throttle response. Harley knew about the problem, never admitted it, sent the bike out on the market anyway. These are legitimate, serious problems that could have and would have been caught had the proper R&D been done. And as an owner I definitely will hold their feet to the fire, especially when I hear they're still pulling the same bullshit with peoples lives.
    Like my 2007 Street Glide. The crankshaft went out of balance at 35,000 miles. Lost oil pressure and could have blown the engine. Got it fixed under warranty but luckily I was in town and didn't get stranded in the middle of nowhere. Come to find out later it was a known problem with the first year 96ci engines in the touring models. The MoCo just rolled the dice since most of their bikes never see that many miles. I read about a lot of them while mine was down for two weeks. That was the most aggravating part, being without a bike for two weeks. The warranty would cover a rental CAR but not a motorcycle. I told them I ride a motorcycle and that's what I want but I didn't win that fight. Might not sound like a big deal but I only ride a motorcycle. It was frustrating. That's why I traded it for the F6B. I don't worry about it breaking down, but even if it does my dealer has loaner bikes. How cool is that?

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post

That was the most aggravating part, being without a bike for two weeks.

I know how that feels

Recalls are tough.

Everybody thinks that Jessie James and Orange County Choppers and other custom shops are good bike builders, but me, I don't think they necessarily are. They're good ARTISTS and builders of one-off bikes, but mass production is a whole 'nother ball game.

Like my 2007 Street Glide. The crankshaft went out of balance at 35,000 miles. Lost oil pressure and could have blown the engine. Got it fixed under warranty but luckily I was in town and didn't get stranded in the middle of nowhere. Come to find out later it was a known problem with the first year 96ci engines in the touring models. The MoCo just rolled the dice since most of their bikes never see that many miles. I read about a lot of them while mine was down for two weeks. That was the most aggravating part, being without a bike for two weeks. The warranty would cover a rental CAR but not a motorcycle. I told them I ride a motorcycle and that's what I want but I didn't win that fight. Might not sound like a big deal but I only ride a motorcycle. It was frustrating. That's why I traded it for the F6B. I don't worry about it breaking down, but even if it does my dealer has loaner bikes. How cool is that?
    My point exactly, it is a dollars and cents call - Do we stop production on 10s of thousands - 100s of thousands of units, rework and correct the problem or does it pay to just send it out, payoff the injury/fatality cases and then do the recall. These discussions are always done with the blessings of the commercial law attorneys as no company makes a move without them. BTW my throttle lag was on a 2010 Street Glide too. Just to show you I'm not one sided I have a bone to pick with Honda and the F6B. You had a bike with cruise (Goldwing) you took the tour pack off, sleeked it out then you go ahead and downward engineer it and take the cruise out. Two years later you put it back in, silly bullshit stuff that pisses people off and another reason why Polaris posted a 1st quarter rise of 75% in motorcycle sales, which I personally think is from the Indian Scout. I know Honda is on the forum so stop jerking the consumer around, that's Harley's job.

Nobody makes a perfect machine.

Scout recalled for faulty rear brakes last month. http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...5V142-6887.PDF

Reading their forum, sounds like they suffer from bad paint also... http://www.indianmotorcycles.net/thr...y-thread.2793/
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Be easy...Honda recalled a couple because the frame broke !!!!

All mass produced units will have trouble...search BMW...
    Oh, yes, yes. I was one of the lucky ones that bought a 2004. Not only did it have a frame recall, it had other problems I don't even want to mention. I have had problems with HD's but the 04 wing out numbered all the HD's I have owned.
    I heard about the frame recalls but figured that by 04 Honda would have gotten that straightened out. But no !!
    2001 - 2004 had frame recalls.
    F6B is my first wing since 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by GNW View Post
    Oh, yes, yes. I was one of the lucky ones that bought a 2004. Not only did it have a frame recall, it had other problems I don't even want to mention. I have had problems with HD's but the 04 wing out numbered all the HD's I have owned.
    I heard about the frame recalls but figured that by 04 Honda would have gotten that straightened out. But no !!
    2001 - 2004 had frame recalls.
    F6B is my first wing since 2004.
    Not to throw US under the bus, but weren't those produced here in the states? Were the frames made here or shipped over?

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Not to throw US under the bus, but weren't those produced here in the states? Were the frames made here or shipped over?
    Produced in Ohio.

The problem was not created by Honda ....

The problem was in the welding rods, they were manufactured with the incorrect blend of metal/formula which left AIR bubbles within the welds and created weak welds. The air bubbles within the welds is what caused the cracks due to the welds not having sufficient metal to sustain the weight or pressures from the motorcycle. It was NOT a Honda failure .... it was a supplier's failure.

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Honda had a failure at the QC level, Honda's fault as much as the rod supplier.

Harley must be reading the forum, I got this in the mail today, it's their way of saying they're sorry.