Anyone have this problem?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have this problem?

Anyone have this problem?

Attachment 13560Attachment 13559
    Someone at my job that was admiring the bike asked me how the headlights got all scratched up, after inspecting lights I noticed all was smooth, no scratches. After a closer look, it was spider webs
    in both lights, how irritating! Any Ideas on clearing these out?

I don't know about anyone else having that issue, but that creeps me the hell out. Speaking as an arachnophobic here. If that occurred in my bike, I'd be trading it in that day! And the dealer can come pick it up....yuck....

Are you using stock head light bulbs, and are the scratches inside or outside the lens.

I have the covers over the lenses....I'll check next time out.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

53driver what brand of cover did you use.

Quote Originally Posted by yellow rex View Post
    Are you using stock head light bulbs, and are the scratches inside or outside the lens.
    So Cal HIDs, the light housings are smooth. I can see the webs inside the housing

Quote Originally Posted by Ebony Deluxe View Post
    Attachment 13560Attachment 13559
    Someone at my job that was admiring the bike asked me how the headlights got all scratched up, after inspecting lights I noticed all was smooth, no scratches. After a closer look, it was spider webs
    in both lights, how irritating! Any Ideas on clearing these out?
    Humm? must be some small hole some where to let a spider in, and in both lights makes me think they were sitting in a box on a shelf a long time. Can the bulbs be removed from them and accessed through there to clean the webs out?

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

It's caused by increased heat - read below

Halogen headlamps and HID headlamps require very different optics to produce a safe and effective—not to mention legal—beam pattern. They are very different characteristics of the two kinds of light source.

A halogen bulb has a cylindrical light source: the glowing filament. The space immediately surrounding the cylinder of light is completely dark, and so the sharpest contrast between bright and dark is along the edges of the cylinder of light. The ends of the filament cylinder fade from bright to dark. An HID bulb, on the other hand, has a crescent-shaped light source -- the arc. It's crescent-shaped because as it passes through the space between the two electrodes, its heat causes it to try to rise. The space immediately surrounding the crescent of light glows in layers...the closer to the crescent of light, the brighter the glow. The ends of the arc crescent are the brightest points, and immediately beyond these points is completely dark, so the sharpest contrast between bright and dark is at the ends of the crescent of light.

This diagram shows the very different characteristics of the filament vs. the arc:

Quote Originally Posted by yellow rex View Post
    I don't think he has scratches, but real spider webs Or it sure looks like them to me on my computer.
    Attachment 13567

Quote Originally Posted by Limoles View Post
    Halogen headlamps and HID headlamps require very different optics to produce a safe and effective—not to mention legal—beam pattern. They are very different characteristics of the two kinds of light source.

A halogen bulb has a cylindrical light source: the glowing filament. The space immediately surrounding the cylinder of light is completely dark, and so the sharpest contrast between bright and dark is along the edges of the cylinder of light. The ends of the filament cylinder fade from bright to dark. An HID bulb, on the other hand, has a crescent-shaped light source -- the arc. It's crescent-shaped because as it passes through the space between the two electrodes, its heat causes it to try to rise. The space immediately surrounding the crescent of light glows in layers...the closer to the crescent of light, the brighter the glow. The ends of the arc crescent are the brightest points, and immediately beyond these points is completely dark, so the sharpest contrast between bright and dark is at the ends of the crescent of light.

This diagram shows the very different characteristics of the filament vs. the arc:
    I understand how Halogen headlamps and HID headlamps differ and produce light, but don't see how that explains what appears to be real spider webs to be floating inside the housing.