Went "scraping" today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Went "scraping" today

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Went "scraping" today

I rode the Harley to work again today.....still getting her out from her winter slump....

One of my co-workers has a '13 Street Glide and he is the consummate "non-aggressive," "too safe to be safe" rider, always over thinking and verbalizing his thoughts, seemingly looking for reinforcement or approval.
    He approached me today and said, as if in confession...."I've never scraped my floorboards. I don't know how I will react and I don't want to find out when I HAVE to turn and scrape."
    Good on him for realizing that.

So we went out to the range markings in the parking lot after work and rode the "peanut" from the BRC2. I ALWAYS scrape something doing this on Saorla and the only way not to scrape on a big Harley is to take everything WAY too slowly.
    Once I got him doing the "Outside, Inside, Outside" turn technique and doing the "Slow, Look, Press, & Roll" in EACH turn, I let him 'chase' me around so he could watch me, but I quickly caught up to him instead. We stopped, and I told him to stop letting the bike take him for a ride and for him to RIDE THE DAMN BIKE!
    This seemed to wake him up and the next 4 corners he took, I heard scraping on 3. He had to stop and catch his breath as the sound and feel he found a bit unnerving. Also, he was scraping both his floorboards and his after market exhaust - which was shiny chrome and cost him a lot, I imagine. V&H Ovals, I think.

Anyway, a few more times around in both directions and he finally loosened up a bit.
    Stopped again, but as soon as he started to verbally "over-think" I told him to shut up and ride.
    Didi a few more laps, his confidence increasing.
    Next time he stopped, he thanked me.
    He actually did become a better rider in that 35 minutes.

I tell this story because many people find scraping the first 99 times VERY alarming and they think it is wrong somehow.
    I've had HOG Ride Captains on the BRC2 who refused to even attempt the peanut because they feared scraping their expensive chrome.
    Scraping is a natural result of lean angle and especially if the bike is a cruiser, bagger, lowered, and/or equipped with after market gizmos, scraping something is part of the riding experience.
    I am quickly discovering that the F6B and Harley are two completely different animals in turns. F6B turning techniques can be used on a Harley, but in my case, I'm gonna be draggin' chrome.
    Saorla's after market floorboards' outboard edges are lethal weapons right now.

Embrace scraping and practice it. Find the limits of your machine and yourself as you become more comfortable with each other.
    And please don't let scraping something suddenly surprise you in the middle of a turn such that you over-react and do not finish the turn on two wheels.
    Cheers.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

If I ain't scraping I ain't riding

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

First time I got aggressive in a turn on the F6B, almost tore my foot off. You can't just haphazardly have your feet anywhere on this bike. Now if I get into a turn aggressively, I get my feet up on the balls and out of the way, then you may have to quickly move right or left to shift or brake. Understand what I'm saying? Also when turning from a stop, you have to pick your feet up quickly or they can hang up on the rear crash bar. You can't be sloppy in either situation.

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    First time I got aggressive in a turn on the F6B, almost tore my foot off. You can't just haphazardly have your feet anywhere on this bike. Now if I get into a turn aggressively, I get my feet up on the balls and out of the way, then you may have to quickly move right or left to shift or brake. Understand what I'm saying? Also when turning from a stop, you have to pick your feet up quickly or they can hang up on the rear crash bar. You can't be sloppy in either situation.
    Yep been there and done that already in my short 5 weeks of riding the f6b. I've caught my left foot twice under the rear crash bar and drug my foot right off the right leg this past Saturday running up hwy 259 in the Ouachita mountains. Scared the crap outta me. But you're absolutely right, you have to be aware where your feet are in a turn. Great advice!!

Great story! I can only say at least your guy is *trying*. I have a friend who has, over the past few years, grown so terrified of traffic that he doesn't ride at all anymore.

I'm still not completely fluent in slow speed maneuvers on this bike... I "think" the longer wheelbase is throwing me out of whack.

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    Oh yeah....my Valk with that extended kickstand deployment lever caught me daydreaming one day when I was in gear, rolling forward to the 4 way stop sign and my left toe hit some leftover concrete and pushed my heel/ankle under that lever and about snapped my foot off.
    Sloppy is always detrimental to health.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    I rode the Harley to work again today.....still getting her out from her winter slump....

One of my co-workers has a '13 Street Glide and he is the consummate "non-aggressive," "too safe to be safe" rider, always over thinking and verbalizing his thoughts, seemingly looking for reinforcement or approval.
    He approached me today and said, as if in confession...."I've never scraped my floorboards. I don't know how I will react and I don't want to find out when I HAVE to turn and scrape."
    Good on him for realizing that.

So we went out to the range markings in the parking lot after work and rode the "peanut" from the BRC2. I ALWAYS scrape something doing this on Saorla and the only way not to scrape on a big Harley is to take everything WAY too slowly.
    Once I got him doing the "Outside, Inside, Outside" turn technique and doing the "Slow, Look, Press, & Roll" in EACH turn, I let him 'chase' me around so he could watch me, but I quickly caught up to him instead. We stopped, and I told him to stop letting the bike take him for a ride and for him to RIDE THE DAMN BIKE!
    This seemed to wake him up and the next 4 corners he took, I heard scraping on 3. He had to stop and catch his breath as the sound and feel he found a bit unnerving. Also, he was scraping both his floorboards and his after market exhaust - which was shiny chrome and cost him a lot, I imagine. V&H Ovals, I think.

Anyway, a few more times around in both directions and he finally loosened up a bit.
    Stopped again, but as soon as he started to verbally "over-think" I told him to shut up and ride.
    Didi a few more laps, his confidence increasing.
    Next time he stopped, he thanked me.
    He actually did become a better rider in that 35 minutes.

I tell this story because many people find scraping the first 99 times VERY alarming and they think it is wrong somehow.
    I've had HOG Ride Captains on the BRC2 who refused to even attempt the peanut because they feared scraping their expensive chrome.
    Scraping is a natural result of lean angle and especially if the bike is a cruiser, bagger, lowered, and/or equipped with after market gizmos, scraping something is part of the riding experience.
    I am quickly discovering that the F6B and Harley are two completely different animals in turns. F6B turning techniques can be used on a Harley, but in my case, I'm gonna be draggin' chrome.
    Saorla's after market floorboards' outboard edges are lethal weapons right now.

Embrace scraping and practice it. Find the limits of your machine and yourself as you become more comfortable with each other.
    And please don't let scraping something suddenly surprise you in the middle of a turn such that you over-react and do not finish the turn on two wheels.
    Cheers.
    Help !! I need some help in fully understanding
    What is "the peanut from the BRC2
    Who or what is Saoria

I have ridden for 55+ years and hear you loud and clearly good post. The only thing I hate about scrapping things is when they are solid parts that dig in and unload your rear wheel or worse. I just never get over that and my nuts in my throat when that happens ! Sort of like dying, I really don't fear it, it's just when it happens you are gone for such a long time 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Doug K9CRT
    Decatur, IL
    2013 F6b (Red)
    Cage 2016 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
    Cage in Avatar Honda S2000

Funny, I haven't scrapped yet! maybe I should take the training wheels off.
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

Quote Originally Posted by Doug44 View Post
    Help !! I need some help in fully understanding
    What is "the peanut from the BRC2
    Doug -
    1000 pardons....
    The BRC2 is MSF's "next" course after the Basic Rider Course (BRC).
    It used to be called the "Experienced Rider Course."
    It is usually given on a weekend day - about 6 hours. Each rider brings their own bike and uses it. We do some of the same skills that we did in the BRC, and some advanced skills to help the rider and bike learn to get along. The "Peanut" is one of those advanced exercises. The riding area looks like a peanut.....
    Attachment 13611
    Riding in either direction, (we do both), accelerate with purpose down the backstretch, slow to 'an appropriate entry speed' entering the turn, look at where you want to go using 'outside, inside, outside' path of travel, press on the inboard handlebar to get the turn initiated, drop the inboard elbow as required, and then roll on the throttle out of EACH little turn, getting enough momentum up for the next turn to keep the bike upright.
    To keep the bike within the lines and at "street speeds", bike lean must take place and for larger dressers with after market goodies, this usually means scraping something shiny.

Who or what is Saorla?
    Saorla (SAYR-la) is my '95 Heritage. From Saerlaith, Celtic for "noble" + "queen" or "sovereignty."
    Isleen (ISH-leen) is my F6B, Celtic for "vision."

I have ridden for 55+ years and hear you loud and clearly good post. The only thing I hate about scrapping things is when they are solid parts that dig in and unload your rear wheel or worse. I just never get over that and my nuts in my throat when that happens ! Sort of like dying, I really don't fear it, it's just when it happens you are gone for such a long time 
    Yes sir. "Digging in" is NOT good. Knowing how far one can go whilst scraping before using your bike as a fracking device is obviously as important.
    Over-reacting to the first few scraping episodes in a controlled environment is preferred to finding out "real-time."
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

Let's not forget the role of body positioning in relation to scraping.
    https://rideapart.com/articles/10-th...r-sport-riding
    blue 2015 F6B Deluxe - sold
    2022 Yamaha Ténéré 700 - coming soon