Preparing for Yellowstone trip.
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Preparing for Yellowstone trip.

Preparing for Yellowstone trip.

About 3 weeks till our Yellowstone trip and I know the time will fly by. Their will be 12 of us, (1) rider will be mapping out the trip, it is his vacation, he invited us. lol
    This will be my longest bike trip/vacation and although I would like to think I will be totally prepared, I know better. W/11,500 on the odometer I will more than likely have new tires put on, Darkside tire is anxiously awaiting a rim. I will do my own oil but it has not seen a shop since I picked it up w/4,000 miles and I think I should have it looked over. So the prep of the 6 is not in question.
    I will be the only one pulling a trailer, Bushtec, no one has asked, I have not volunteered.
    I will undoubtedly get a road hazard/towing add on. I would appreciate some bits of wisdom from those of you that have taken the longer/extended bike vacations and some do's/dont's and what to not forget or don't bother taking. Just me, someone has to watch dog.
    Thanks in advance.

@Les:

@choptop: According to the experience of my last trip, i would always take a tire repair kit with me. Saves you a lot of time and frustration. Really easy doing (even me with my two left hands would be able to do it).
    Always a good and safe ride,
    Karim

This time of year you need to be prepared for any kind of weather. It can be hot or cold, wet or dry. Having a trailer, you can take just about any and everything you can think of. Good idea of not volunteering to haul everyone's junk. I wouldn't either. I'll bet at some point you will be asked to carry something for someone. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurare79 View Post
    @Les:

@choptop: According to the experience of my last trip, i would always take a tire repair kit with me. Saves you a lot of time and frustration. Really easy doing (even me with my two left hands would be able to do it).
    Excellent idea and it has gone on my list !

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    This time of year you need to be prepared for any kind of weather. It can be hot or cold, wet or dry. Having a trailer, you can take just about any and everything you can think of. Good idea of not volunteering to haul everyone's junk. I wouldn't either. I'll bet at some point you will be asked to carry something for someone. Have fun.
    Thanks hiflyer, been told that especially were we are going, kinda learned that I wasn't in "Kansas anymore" on my first trip to Sturgis when I froze my arse of in August and saw hail and torrential downpours.

As stated earlier...bring layers to prep for all kinds of weather.
    A good pair of comfortable and waterproof boots.
    Rain gear
    Sunscreen
    Some good maps

Are you camping or hoteling?
    What is your planned route through MN?

By the way, had a brain fart, it's not May 25th, it's June 25th, non the less, keep those hints coming.

Words of Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    About 3 weeks till our Yellowstone trip and I know the time will fly by. Their will be 12 of us, (1) rider will be mapping out the trip, it is his vacation, he invited us. lol
    This will be my longest bike trip/vacation and although I would like to think I will be totally prepared, I know better. W/11,500 on the odometer I will more than likely have new tires put on, Darkside tire is anxiously awaiting a rim. I will do my own oil but it has not seen a shop since I picked it up w/4,000 miles and I think I should have it looked over. So the prep of the 6 is not in question.
    I will be the only one pulling a trailer, Bushtec, no one has asked, I have not volunteered.
    I will undoubtedly get a road hazard/towing add on. I would appreciate some bits of wisdom from those of you that have taken the longer/extended bike vacations and some do's/dont's and what to not forget or don't bother taking. Just me, someone has to watch dog.
    Thanks in advance.
    Tell your people, do not put any food stuffs in your trailer or in any pod on your bikes. Anything that smells like food will draw big furry creatures to your bike to investigate. They won't use a key to open anything that contains food stuff or snacks. Been there done that......also in and around your campsite if your camping, you don't want them in your tent, they have very bad breath.....

Quote Originally Posted by carpdm View Post
    As stated earlier...bring layers to prep for all kinds of weather.
    A good pair of comfortable and waterproof boots.
    Rain gear
    Sunscreen
    Some good maps

Are you camping or hoteling?
    What is your planned route through MN?
    Leaving out of Eden Praire, 1st night in Gettysburg, 2 nights in Deadwood, 2 in Cody, 2 in West Yellowstone, head north to Montana, follow 94, threw N Dakota, w/stops/sights per trip planner, over 2 nights and get home, most to Minneapolis, me to Wi, Sat 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    Tell your people, do not put any food stuffs in your trailer or in any pod on your bikes. Anything that smells like food will draw big furry creatures to your bike to investigate. They won't use a key to open anything that contains food stuff or snacks. Been there done that......also in and around your campsite if your camping, you don't want them in your tent, they have very bad breath.....
    These "big fury creatures" you speak of, I am told their are no Saskatch west of the S Dakota/Minn border, and their vegetarians and docile.