Preparing for Yellowstone trip. - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Preparing for Yellowstone trip.

Being close by in Idaho, have gone over Beartooth Pass and Chief Joseph Pass 8 or 9 times in last 4 years....one of those rides you'll never get tired of doing.....

Best time is August or late July...as far as weather goes....went over it 3 times last summer, all in July....got rained on two of three times.....you just don't ever know when the summit is over 11,000 feet.....highest elevation 2 lane US highway in the lower 48....

The scenery, and the road, is like no other......Shaker

Quote Originally Posted by sshake1905 View Post
    Best time is August or late July...as far as weather goes...
    Agreed.
    Even in mid summer it's freezing cold up there.
    There's still snow by the side of the road where the sun doesn't directly get at it.
    Be prepared to lose a lot of power at that elevation, both for you and the bike.
    The air is really thin.

Bushtec trailer

If you are pulling a bushtec be sure an check you helm joint mine broke last year and totaled the biked. I don't know if you can even see it ahead of time. My trailer was 10 years old not sure on miles but tires are still in good shape. Bushtec said they had never heard of that. I think the helm joint is less than $40 new. I was lucky it happened on flat interstate thank god not in mountains.

[QUOTE=Myf6b;76289]If you are pulling a bushtec be sure an check you helm joint mine broke last year and totaled the biked. I don't know if you can even see it ahead of time. My trailer was 10 years old not sure on miles but tires are still in good shape. Bushtec said they had never heard of that. I think the helm joint is less than $40 new. I was lucky it happened on flat interstate thank god not in mountains.[/QUOT

Mine is a '98, like new, but you never know. I will check out a new helm joint, thanks for the heads up !

Talked to Bushtec today, didn't want to sell me anything. Said the wheel bearings were rated for 100,000 miles, he said lift the tire, spin it, if no drag, good to go. lol Hiem joint, never any problems, tires, if they look good, they are many plys, run flat, forget about it ! lol

I love it when people save me money but...

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Talked to Bushtec today, didn't want to sell me anything. Said the wheel bearings were rated for 100,000 miles, he said lift the tire, spin it, if no drag, good to go. lol Hiem joint, never any problems, tires, if they look good, they are many plys, run flat, forget about it ! lol

I love it when people save me money but...
    Don't have a Bushtec but have pulled my trailer all over. I pack bearings once a year and do the check they describe and have never had a failure. Guess I could carry a set never really thought about it.

don't do what I did

About 8yrs ago, riding in Yellowstone, lost track of time while being a dumb tourist. About 5pm, I realized I had better find someplace to stay. Sorry, the 2 Historic hotels were full, so I got a campsite. At 8000 ft above sea level, gets very cold fast, even in August. Frost on the windshield in the morn. I had no tent, just a 6x6 tarp tied off the side of he cycle. No sleeping bag, either. just put on all the clothes I had and froze my tail all nite. Happy to see the sun come up in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    About 8yrs ago, riding in Yellowstone, lost track of time while being a dumb tourist. About 5pm, I realized I had better find someplace to stay. Sorry, the 2 Historic hotels were full, so I got a campsite. At 8000 ft above sea level, gets very cold fast, even in August. Frost on the windshield in the morn. I had no tent, just a 6x6 tarp tied off the side of he cycle. No sleeping bag, either. just put on all the clothes I had and froze my tail all nite. Happy to see the sun come up in the morning.
    You don't want to "rough" it like that to many nights.

For sure!

Was not a fun nite. Rangers came thru about 2am, woke everyone to notify us that a bear was in the area. Told everyone to lock all food in vehicles, or hang it from the trees. I had no food, just a couple empty beer cans I drank before I went to sleep. Lots of shivering that nite!

@jm21: Sounds like survival training or survival of the fittest! 😄 "It's a hard knock life"
    Always a good and safe ride,
    Karim